If You Could Change One Thing in the RP World...

Uaithne

If you could change one thing in the RP world (as we know it on this part of the internet), what would it be and why do you choose it?  And, if you so desire to answer: is this change plausible?

---

The one thing I'd like to change is to have people not do things just because "that's how it is" or "this is how it's supposed to be."  For example, activity checks.  I don't mind that they exist, but I don't like it when people believe that they have to have them or that it's just a part of how RPing is supposed to be.  I feel like many new RPers learn behaviors based upon what's already in practice, and when they go off and make their own boards, they take these same behaviors and apply them to sites even if they don't understand why they're doing it or they don't like doing it.  They just accept that that is how it is.  Other examples could be applications, word counts, graphics, site design - pretty much anything.  I remember back before "short apps" or "no apps" was a thing and every site had long applications.  I hated having to read and approve them, but I still did it because that's just how things were done.

Plausible that this could change?  Absolutely not. XD  It's how societies function.  We pass on our behaviors to the next generation, who pass on the same or evolved versions of the same to the next generation.  Though I think we could have more appreciation for diversification of administration style.  It's a reach, though.

• I read this! 5
  • Love 1
  • Thank you 1

WoL___dark01.png

I think the thing that I'd like to see changed would be for social media style rp sites (like rp repository and role-play haven) to be more successful and have a larger and more diverse user base (by diverse, I mean fandom, genre, etc...) so that characters from all fandoms (whether canon or oc), or just writer created fandoms have a home, have a better chance that their writer will find someone to write with and, so that people can what-ever canon character they want. Of course, it won't guarantee that everyone will be happy, but forums can be a limiting or constrained at times.

Less redundancy among canon fandoms. There's probably a billion Post Civil War MCU sites for example; things would be better if we could cut that number by half. If you're doing an AU type deal, go for it, but if you're going with the "we're taking this specific plot point and doing our thing with it" in a sea of other sites with their basis in the same thing, I don't think it's necessary.

It's one thing if someone made a canon Walking Dead board centered around the show and someone else wanted one centered on the comics and video games and did their own thing, but both just split their potential player base if they both make it centered on the show.

• I read this! 4

I'm with you on the "this is just how things are done" mentality. I like to see people ask 'why is it done this way?' or 'is there a better way of doing this?' 

I don't participate enough outside my RP bubbles to really say. But the one thing I would change would be the mob rule you see in some corners. I hope it's not too controversial or drama-mongering of me to bring it up. 

There's always been drama complaints, those are inevitable when you have groups of people. But these days, we hear a lot about social media and it's growing "wisdom of the crowd" problems. I used to wonder if that pertained to RP as well, especially with how RP has evolved and incorporated new features. Maybe it's just the same old problems, but with a new disguise? I don't have the answers. Either way, as a lurker/reader/member, I cannot enjoy myself without stumbling on the new Lynching of the Day. (Come to think of it, it's rude? You're dumping all over the sidewalk everyone else walks). 

Granted, I believe people are allowed to (and should, healthily) disagree and challenge each other ooc. But I think there's a difference in how that's done.

• I read this! 3
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is just my personal taste, but I'd enjoy it if there was a bigger place in the "roleplay" world for round-robin type collaborative storytelling/fiction writing outside of the strict "this is my character, this is your character." 

• I read this! 4

Roleplay, Worldbuilding, Collaborative Storytelling

Freeform fantasy and sci-fi

www.LostPathway.com

mediumwhite.gif.ece0798204374f9a98d33e3e4172468e.gif

8 hours ago, Naen said:

This is just my personal taste, but I'd enjoy it if there was a bigger place in the "roleplay" world for round-robin type collaborative storytelling/fiction writing outside of the strict "this is my character, this is your character." 

I would love it too! <3 Writing collaboratively can mean more than character-by-character. It can happen scene by scene too, and this can somehow mitigate the case when you are abandoned mid-thread (or have a partner who posts once at every few months).

• I read this! 1

5 hours ago, Elena said:

I would love it too! <3 Writing collaboratively can mean more than character-by-character. It can happen scene by scene too, and this can somehow mitigate the case when you are abandoned mid-thread (or have a partner who posts once at every few months).

You're totally right about it mitigating being abandoned. 

I once did this style of story writing in a series that spanned roughly 10 years of real time. Over that time, only two of the writers stayed consistent, but we had a pretty sizeable rotating cast of other writers who came and went on the project. It was really amazing when we finished the final part, part 7, all those years later. 

• I read this! 2

www.LostPathway.com

This is how I wrote, 20 years before knowing that RPGs exist, with my deskmate in Uni. 

• I read this! 1

One of the first experiences I had in rp was the fact that there were characters that were important to my character that didn't have anyone writing them. The result was frustration because it seemed like no storyline that was important to my character's development would never get done until I decided that npcing some of those characters was the answer and was acceptable to me to do that. Collaborative writing can be considered part of that. (Of course, there will be some people who will complain that it looks like you're writing fan fic, but it's better to be happy than not and those npcs are always open to be playable - people only need ask! In fandoms, it also means that OCs have a background and aren't reliant on connections to canon characters all the time.)

• I read this! 4
  • Agree 1

Yes, if you're limited to only dealing with one character -- things can kind of deflate. 

I like being able to switch, being able to deal with a variety of things and places within a storyverse. 

• I read this! 2

www.LostPathway.com

Guest BETA BLUE
On 11/17/2017 at 8:29 PM, Cypher said:

Less redundancy among canon fandoms. There's probably a billion Post Civil War MCU sites for example; things would be better if we could cut that number by half. If you're doing an AU type deal, go for it, but if you're going with the "we're taking this specific plot point and doing our thing with it" in a sea of other sites with their basis in the same thing, I don't think it's necessary.

It's one thing if someone made a canon Walking Dead board centered around the show and someone else wanted one centered on the comics and video games and did their own thing, but both just split their potential player base if they both make it centered on the show.

This five million times. No one tries to create something different because they take longer to take off.  It's one of the reasons why we did our plot we did. I see more than enough Civil War based movie sites and it's like UGH, please no more.  

But seriously, size 8 and below font...No

In terms of fandom sites: Fewer things changed solely for the sake of being changed.

I'm playing in this fandom to play this fandom. Stop making it hard for me to find a board because you feel the need to be ~unique~ and ~edgy~ and add in an bunch of extra shit that doesn't add anything to the story.

• I read this! 3
  • Preach it! 1

Oh wow, this is such a good topic. o.o! I was nodding along to some of the replies already here and thought I didn't have anything new to contribute. Activity checks, we did away with those. We have character-by-character posts predominantly, but some of the players like to do things more round-robin style and so they do that in their threads. Be the change you wanna see in the world, right? ;P I agree with seeing millions of certain fandoms / canons. I also absolutely, fervently agree that there is an the existence of mob rule and it freaking sucks -- but you know, that is probably unchanging as long as the interwebs exist.

I think the one thing I would change in the rp world is ... Moar historicals, pls? You all probably saw that coming.

Edited by Kaycakes
Misspoke.
  • I read this! 3

300x80AdBanner.png

home sweet home.

18th century British India rp. Jcink premium.

be geeky with me!

• Admin

@Elena @Naen Please separate the collaborative writing conversation away from this conversation. That's not the point.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.