Paying for Skins

omgwes

@Achera your coder sounds amazing. I would absolutely pay $300 (well, $390 because Aus) for the service and work you're describing. (Ignoring my limited budget XD but I can dream!)

• I read this! 1
  • Like 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

I would never buy a skin only because I am a coder myself and I would rather tinker with a premade or make my own. I would be more willing to sell a skin than to release one for free any day though. Sometimes I will make skins for people close to me or for a site I am invested in with no cost, but otherwise I just don't code for other people. Once upon a time, I had a little "free skin shop" and I made skins for people on old school proboards, neopets guilds/profiles/pet pages, and self-hosted anime fansites/digital trading card games. That was actually how I self taught html. I hated it with a passion though. People were often rude when they didn't get what they wanted, I was expected to give 24/7 support, I was somehow supposed to turn "something green using this 100x100 icon blown up in perfect resolution as the header" into reality, and people with no actual coding knowledge would tell me HOW to code their skin, such as to use tables instead of grid divs. I have been coding for 18 years. My coding skills are of legal age. They have bills to pay now, so they don't work for free. Maybe for food though...

If I had money, I would. I like to give back to people for their time, and money is the simplest way to do so (after all, everyone needs money to get through life). So yeah... I would commission a skin and pay for it if I could. I wouldn't ask for a super-customized skin, though... just an imageless skin with extra features, page skins and stuff like that. I would pay for accessibility, not for the looks. 

I don't know how much I would pay because I don't know how this market works, but I would pay whatever sum is fair.

• I read this! 1

mwBMe5.png

Guest BETA BLUE

One positive thing I have seen from this is fewer people are whining about not being able to code and learning how to code.

I would of course pay for a custom skin if it is exclusive to my site alone, I liked the designer, and I thought the price was reasonable enough; I don't think I would pay anything over $500 for a skin, however, that's a bit more than I'd like to spend haha! My last skin I had made for free by an awesome person who offered, but our next skin set is paid for, and looks spectacular so far.

However, I am really picky on skins because I am a coder, graphic designer, and artist myself. I will always request the code to be able to be edited by myself after the fact, and if a coder refuses this - then I simply won't buy from them. I am far too coding-minded to not anymore, haha!

• I read this! 1

If I was trying to make money off my site, the skin was build specifically for me and what I wanted to do with it, and usable only at my site, then hell yeah sure I would dip into my pocket for the investment. 

I've got no problem with people trying to earn a buck or two on their work, they worked hard on it and deserve compensation if they want it. 

I just choose to fiddle with my very basic knowledge and do what I can on my own, because I don't personally have money to burn for Extras (I haven't even subscribed for Premium Jcink yet even though I designed my site for a 3-3-3 rating) 

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

I've been considering purchasing a skin for my site as well. I'm generally pretty good at manipulating codes to fit the needs of my site into skins, but there are a lot of things that I haven't had time to learn, such as custom templates, etc. I don't know if I could justify spending anything more than $50 for a skin though, just because I would be the on footing the bill and $100-$300 just isn't do-able for my expenses. I don't ask for donations. I don't ask my members to help pay for anything else, and on top of the $120 per year that I spend on Jcink premium, I'd rather spend the money on a new camera lens or a DNA kit from ancestry.com than a skin. 

I guess my thoughts are that I would buy it if the price was right, but from what I've seen, everything just looks outrageous. 

• I read this! 2
  • Fuck Yeah! 1

Ad.png

• 1 month later...

I don't, or won't for a few different reasons. The first one being that I enjoy coding my own skins (with some help from tutorials). I enjoy the learning process of it. Another reason I won't buy a site skin is because, what if I get bored with it? What if it doesn't turn out to be exactly what I wanted? That's anywhere from $45 to $200 more (if you bought a premium service for the site) down the drain. That's just too much money to spend on a play-by-post rpg, or any rpg, really.

• I read this! 1

I have and will forever pay for services for as long as I'm able. The theme I use on Venice was paid for, (the base underline, graphics and all I did) and I actually had my last skin paid FOR me as a gift! Something I will forever cherish and love.

Pay your artists. Always.

• I read this! 1
  • Fuck Yeah! 1
  • Love 3

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

I do pay for skins and other customizations as I can. I believe in compensating others for their work. Also, I am at the end of my learning curve! In the realm of forums, I consider myself the technical Village Idiot although I'm not horrible with Nova theming.

Where possible, if there is not a set price for the mod or skin, I negotiate the price and what is expected upfront so there's no surprises for anyone! Sometimes, the designer/creator is happy with bartering a trade of services. I consider that as a form of payment as well.

However, it all depends on a person's means and each person's preferences. No doubt, if I were more conversant with the coding for forums, I would be more hesitant.

• I read this! 1

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

• 2 months later...

I would pay for a skin, and have been thinking about it off and on. It would have to be a lot nicer than my current free pre-maded skin and not look identical or nearly identical to other premade skins/customised skins, though. Atm, my budget would be $80, but I think it's important to charge by the hour as any sort of artist as you don't want to short-change yourself for your time. At the same time, quality and expertise should be taken into consideration.

• 1 month later...

I would never pay for a skin. Ever. They're beautiful and skinners do excellent work, but I don't see paying for it. I can make them myself or get a premade skin that is just as beautiful.

lipsbanner.jpg

Red Light District Role-Playing.

Adult role-playing forum.
Fulfill your fantasies in the Red Light District.

I personally wouldn't pay for a skin, I like to have unique skins and so I make them myself, as best I can. That being said, if I felt my skins were good enough, I wouldn't be opposed to selling them 😉

I use Jcink exclusively.

promoimg.png