Paying for Skins

omgwes

I haven't ever commissioned someone for a skin before, but that is because I've been able to make my own from a young age. That is not to say that if I could not code that I would be opposed to paying for a skin: I have no issue paying people for tasks that I cannot do myself, or if that person can do the task better than me.

I've sold my services as a coder before. I charged $25 an hour for my skins, which meant they ranged between $100 and $350. I have been paid $350 once for a skin before, and although I had estimations for similar commissions I did not take them. I didn't take them because while $350 for one of my skins might have been worth it for the person who wanted to buy them, working with other people on getting those commissions done wasn't worth $350 to me. I've had many an unpleasant experience, including meeting people with the attitude I've seen prevalent in this thread- RP is just a hobby, so making payments or communicating in a timely manner, for example, isn't important. Because the client is the one putting out money, they're the only ones that deserve respect or to be listened to. It's an attitude I neither appreciate, agree with, nor respect. Everyone in the transaction should be made to feel their their time and thoughts are valued, that they are respected. It doesn't matter how much money is or isn't involved.

Although it is admittedly a lot of money, if I felt it was worth it to me then I would happily pay someone $350 to make me a skin. It would require saving up money, but most things we want do, and it's important to me that someone doing work for me is well compensated for it.

• Like 2
  • Preach it! 1

19 hours ago, Josie said:

I haven't ever commissioned someone for a skin before, but that is because I've been able to make my own from a young age. That is not to say that if I could not code that I would be opposed to paying for a skin: I have no issue paying people for tasks that I cannot do myself, or if that person can do the task better than me.

I've sold my services as a coder before. I charged $25 an hour for my skins, which meant they ranged between $100 and $350. I have been paid $350 once for a skin before, and although I had estimations for similar commissions I did not take them. I didn't take them because while $350 for one of my skins might have been worth it for the person who wanted to buy them, working with other people on getting those commissions done wasn't worth $350 to me. I've had many an unpleasant experience, including meeting people with the attitude I've seen prevalent in this thread- RP is just a hobby, so making payments or communicating in a timely manner, for example, isn't important. Because the client is the one putting out money, they're the only ones that deserve respect or to be listened to. It's an attitude I neither appreciate, agree with, nor respect. Everyone in the transaction should be made to feel their their time and thoughts are valued, that they are respected. It doesn't matter how much money is or isn't involved.

Although it is admittedly a lot of money, if I felt it was worth it to me then I would happily pay someone $350 to make me a skin. It would require saving up money, but most things we want do, and it's important to me that someone doing work for me is well compensated for it.

Very beautifully and well said. As a coder (of skins, scripts, etc.) I completely agree with the concept you’ve put here. I work darn hard on things I do and I do charge for it. I took my time to create it, learn about it and make it just perfect for said person (in their price range). I expect something in return for my time, effort and knowledge. 

If you don’t want to pay for something then don’t expect anything unique for your own. That’s just how I feel. 

• Agree 3

wcc_aff_one.png.ee644d7c84e4471ab7231d79aa59872c.png freerphostaffbutton.png.2c941043f4d1bcb22ada2b22d3e60dfc.png myrpg-affiliate.png.5453a73021a9354b5b772ac4e15f7ef9.png

I'm not against commissioning a skin from someone, as I've done it in the past and was past pleased when they presented the completed work for me. Coding is something that isn't easy, nor is it fast to learn. In my opinion, those that have taken the time to learn it and master it and then offer it to just about anyone deserves to get paid for their hard work. I've been trying to learn code for almost two years now, and I've gotten to the point where I can make very very basic things, such as a simple posting table, a staff box, and, recently, modals (granted I haven't vigorously pursued this talent either xD it's more or less a hobby to pass time).

I use jcink primarily, but occasionally proboards.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've done commissioned skins before for jcink sites, and depending on what my clients have wanted, they've been anywhere from $150-$400 (individual templates are usually much cheaper). I have a full time job and a social life, so I I definitely charge what I think my time and effort is worth...or give an appropriate friends discount.

If I were feeling burnt out or didn't want to put the effort into skinning my own site for once, I would definitely commission someone else for a skin. At least in the jcink coding community, the going rate for beautiful, functional skins these days averages at about $200. And I'd be happy to pay that. It's lifetime use for a skin, so you can use it as many times as you want. 

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon