How do you want to be included?

Uaithne

When you join a new site, in what manner do you want to be included? Describe the ideal behavior you wish the staff and other members to show you to help make you feel at home.

WoL___dark01.png

Honestly? Just thread with me.

Hit up my shipper, talk to me in the Cbox or whatever. Reply to my opens. 

I don't need anyone to bend over backwards, just let me participate and help me do so.

• I read this! 4

I'm with Rune on this. I'm not picky -- don't ignore me, and we're good.

The one thing I have a weird affection for is people saying 'Hi' when I get into the cbox. Like:
Thyme: *rolls in*
Person 1: Hi Thyme!
Person 2: Hey Thyme!
Person 3: THYMEEEEE!

Thyme: Heyla, Person 1, 2, and 3! :D

I dunno why? Maybe because it makes me feel like people a.) know I'm already a member and b.) are excited that I'm around to play?

Edited by Thyme
  • I read this! 3
tumblr_ovxhy4cZLY1wtsmmno3_r1_100.jpg

tbh, the first two pretty much covered it! I love being chatted with and plotted with, but if it's not followed through with it kind of sucks. At this point, I'm that staff member who has so many plots they can't take more, and I hate not being able to thread with every new member who joins TNI! But honestly, like, just talking and trying to get to know my character is a big point. I love my characters, I love talking about them, I love hearing about other people's!

• I read this! 2

@Raven I hear you! I try to constantly have a single person available just in case a new person wants to ship. 

I think admin willing to just talk to new members help. Hell, admin greeting me in the chat and being willing to participate in conversation at least makes me feel like they care that I'm there.

• I read this! 3

If I roll in as a guest, I feel weird if member jump on the "HI PERSON" wagon. I get nervous if I'm not allowed the freedom to lurk for a bit and check things out. I'm weird and only want to be acknowledged if either I say something, or join. When I join, I'm totally happy with a lukewarm "Hey welcome, if you need help finding anything or are looking for starting ideas let us know we'll be happy to help" and letting me "connect" with the community at my own pace of comfort-ability. (I'm such an introvert that I'm surprised I'm married lol) 

• Agree 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

3 hours ago, CovertSphinx said:

If I roll in as a guest, I feel weird if member jump on the "HI PERSON" wagon. I get nervous if I'm not allowed the freedom to lurk for a bit and check things out. I'm weird and only want to be acknowledged if either I say something, or join. When I join, I'm totally happy with a lukewarm "Hey welcome, if you need help finding anything or are looking for starting ideas let us know we'll be happy to help" and letting me "connect" with the community at my own pace of comfort-ability. (I'm such an introvert that I'm surprised I'm married lol) 

Members that are willing to help out and answer questions make me all the more interested. It shows that the world is involved enough that everyone wants to know the details and sticks around for the long run.

I'm also a fan of people who say "hi" when I jump in the cbox or say something.  (:  Overall, though, in general I'm somewhat "hands-off" - I can get overwhelmed if I have a lot of people hitting me up for threads and asking me questions.  If I have a thread request up or open threads, definitely post to those - but excessive "reaching out" to me can make me feel a bit overwhelmed!

Souls_400x100_01.jpg

'souls | no wc | character-driven | werecanines | open & active since 2001!

Oh gosh I'm kinda like Rune in that I'm fairly low-maintenance. If I'm ridic new on a site, I won't generally talk a whole lot in cboxes or what have you. I'm not chatty until I have a character approved and I'm comfortable with the people involved. But I do want to be able to ask questions and know I won't be ignored. I also don't tend to open with 'hello'. I'll just jump into an ongoing conversation. If people are like 'Hi Kitten!" then, I'm like "Hey :-D So about this thing..."

It actually makes me super squirrelly when people are like, watching the population of the cbox and are all "Hi guests!@#" when they see one. I need to be able to lurk while I read your info, and that 'hi' is a commitment I'm not ready to make to you and your site. I will reach out when I'm damn good and ready. 

• I read this! 3

Reading this, I'm wondering if there is a way new members could choose "yes please engage me!" or "no, let me get into the site in my own time." Like maybe an option upon registration. I don't know.

Everyone has such vastly different desires that it's so easy to scare people away.

• I read this! 1

WoL___dark01.png

I think when it comes to new people/guests, the best you can do is be reactive. If they reach out to chat with you while they're going through the info, be available, friendly, and welcoming. If they're the sort like me that prefers to commit to the site before engaging, just let them be quiet until they're ready. People can actively choose their level engagement by deciding whether or not to engage. 

• Agree 1

What Kitten said.

If a guest wants to be involved, they'll talk. If not, they won't. If they join and want to chat, they will. If not, they won't. Simple as that.

If they make an open, taking it is the best option you can take. Sometimes they have to feel welcomed before they'll get chatting and some just hate chats and prefer to keep things IC. 

• I read this! 1

On 12/6/2017 at 12:08 PM, Rune said:

@Raven I hear you! I try to constantly have a single person available just in case a new person wants to ship. 

I think admin willing to just talk to new members help. Hell, admin greeting me in the chat and being willing to participate in conversation at least makes me feel like they care that I'm there.

actually, I don't really ship characters relationship-wise much at all. Most of my characters who are in relationships were arranged to be married ^^; I value friendship and enemy plots way more than relationship plots, because relationships don't interest me that much. People immediately offering to romantically ship their characters with me, or to make a character to ship with mine just... puts me off mostly. Even my characters who are legitimately shipped often end up having awful toxic relationships #oops.

Once upon a time, I joined a site that had a very active chatbox, with a bot that would inform when a new thread was posted anywhere on the site. That was pretty awesome, because it meant that anytime the bot said "$newuser has posted $threadtitle in Introductions" there would be a mad rush to be the first person to say hello.

• I read this! 1

Glub glub.