Weirdest Complaints You've Recieved

Rune

This happened a while ago, but something happened today that brought it to mind. A guest came onto a site I was a member on and told me I was racist and promoting harmful stereotypes with every single one of my characters. I was pretty blindsided by this, since I do extensive research whenever I'm playing something that I'm not familiar with, and I've never had anyone take issue with my writing before. So I asked them what they were specifically upset about. They linked to a character I played and said they could give me a list of everything that they found wrong with them.

If I really wanted to be a better person, and took their advice, then they would work with me on the rest of my characters. Um, what? Their whole tone was incredibly condescending and demeaning. And it was just a weird way to introduce yourself into a site chat overall. This is the first impression you want to make? Yeah, I agree that shitty two-dimensional representation is more likely to hurt than help, but that's a whole different topic. Anyway, they seemed to expect me to be very grateful that they were willing to impart their wisdom on me, some lowly racist dick. 

Funny thing is... that character and I have the same ethnicity. So I told them that, and said that I'd partially based them off of people from that ethnicity that I knew, and added details from my own experiences and skills. Apparently that was not the right answer. The guest started ranting about how just because I was X didn't mean that I knew how to play X, and that I was being incredibly rude to them when they'd just wanted to help. The staff put a stop to it pretty quick but it was just weird to have someone say to my face that I don't know how to write my own culture. 

• LOL 1

9 minutes ago, kita said:

This happened a while ago, but something happened today that brought it to mind. A guest came onto a site I was a member on and told me I was racist and promoting harmful stereotypes with every single one of my characters. I was pretty blindsided by this, since I do extensive research whenever I'm playing something that I'm not familiar with, and I've never had anyone take issue with my writing before. So I asked them what they were specifically upset about. They linked to a character I played and said they could give me a list of everything that they found wrong with them.

If I really wanted to be a better person, and took their advice, then they would work with me on the rest of my characters. Um, what? Their whole tone was incredibly condescending and demeaning. And it was just a weird way to introduce yourself into a site chat overall. This is the first impression you want to make? Yeah, I agree that shitty two-dimensional representation is more likely to hurt than help, but that's a whole different topic. Anyway, they seemed to expect me to be very grateful that they were willing to impart their wisdom on me, some lowly racist dick. 

Funny thing is... that character and I have the same ethnicity. So I told them that, and said that I'd partially based them off of people from that ethnicity that I knew, and added details from my own experiences and skills. Apparently that was not the right answer. The guest started ranting about how just because I was X didn't mean that I knew how to play X, and that I was being incredibly rude to them when they'd just wanted to help. The staff put a stop to it pretty quick but it was just weird to have someone say to my face that I don't know how to write my own culture. 

Ooh, my banhammer senses would be tingling so hard. That's just so disrespectful and beyond rude.

I've had people bitch at me because my character (7'9", wings, can fly, immortal-ish) was "super underweight and is anorexic-looking because of how little she weighs" and her wings were "too large"

This particular character has completely hollow bones. Her respiratory system has air sacs all over, like a bird. She's got bird wings that are very capable of flight on her back. Her total wingspan is a bit more than twice her height. Said character is rather slim, but has a good amount of muscle from lots of fighting and training and whatnot. She's (give or take) 120lbs without the added armor/weapons. Birds, for their size, don't weight all that much because hollow bones and air sacs and whatnot.

They then proceeded to tell me that their character would have no issues at all flying at higher speeds and could stay airborne for days at a time, and that I should accept them because my character was accepted on-site and wasn't "realistically proportioned" for a human (My character is not human.) Said character was 5'4" 200lb, 9ft wingspan. LOL For comparison, a Quetzalcoatlus (one of/the largest creature to ever fly) would likely have only weighed about 150lbs, with a height/wingspan of 9'8" at the shoulders in biped and 36ft wingspan. 200lbs is along the higher estimates for them. As far as actual birds? The Kori Bustard is the largest flying bird alive today and can weigh around 45lbs, for males, who can weigh up to twice as much sa the females.

All this entirely over skype a couple years back. Fun times. My co-admin was super disappointed at missing that exchange.

• LOL 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had someone complain when I wouldn't approve of their character having three highly powerful abilities when the rules clearly state each character is only allowed one. They admitted that they knew this and that I would deny their application but wanted to see if they could have them anyway. I really hated having my time wasted like that. Not going to lie, I was highly annoyed.

• Agree 1
  • LOL 1

rpgi-sig.png

+ :: c o m i n g  s o o n  :: +

• 3 weeks later...

I had someone tell me one of my sites wasn't 'fantasy' because our interpretation of fantasy did not match theirs.

According to them, fantasy is 'without boundaries or restrictions' (they ranted about this on the cbox after their app with unfitting high tech gear was denied), and that by having restrictions on what our world lore does and doesn't have, we are not fantasy.

Wasn't aware of this. Let me go back to the chapter in the Lord of the Rings where Aragorn has a machinegun. Because you know, fantasy means without restrictions or limitations and pretty much ANYTHING GOES, right?

• Agree 1
  • LOL 2
  • Preach it! 1

3 minutes ago, Honorem said:

Wasn't aware of this. Let me go back to the chapter in the Lord of the Rings where Aragorn has a machinegun. Because you know, fantasy means without restrictions or limitations and pretty much ANYTHING GOES, right?

Come on. We all know Frodo drove the One Ring to Mt. Doom in a 4x4 pick up truck.

As for weird complaints... 

I'm homophobic. Because my married homosexual character would not dump her wife to hook up with their character. Yup, makes sense. 

• LOL 4

Shady McShaderson

Our site is set in a world borrowed from a series of novels. In those novels sex trafficking/slavery is a major thing in some countries because of The Villain.  We had a member that came in and wanted to play a slave character, which we do allow, but only in a few locations were the member lore includes it- no one has ever had a problem with it *understanding this, since we are AU and The Villain has never existed in our version of the setting. We PMed the player about their app and listed alternative scenarios, as well as other countries to put the character in that would allow them to play the character without any changes (or no major changes depending on how they wanted to solve the issue). Their Weird Complaint was that we didn't explicitly state anywhere that the site wasn't going to follow canon lore... except you know, in our Welcome Message, at the very top of the sidebar, first thing you see after the banner, very first line "We are an AU Black Jewels RPG." Also each country we have open to play in has its own lore page, and the one this member chose didn't mention a single word about slavery in the territory (because it isn't a thing that happens there). 

Edited by Jones
  • LOL 1

operation: bowtruckles & bombs

R6MmD.png

Accidentally called a player by the wrong gender pronoun and got informed I'm mentally ill and nobody likes me. When I stated "I don't have time for this shit" and left the cbox watched as the other players groused about how rude I was. 

• LOL 1

Respice Finem

Can be found causing mayhem and intrugue at Dawnbreak.

image.png.26f869973cedc9bd084f357aedf7c335.png

Background: I'm running a board wherein weird old godpowers, stirring after a long stretch of less-than-consciousness, have begun to cause non-standard things to happen in a particular vicinity in what's otherwise the real world, and anyone can develop preternatural effects/abilities/consequences just by being in the place that this is happening.  These effects can be literally anything the players want them to be.  Vampiric tendencies/shapeshifting/psychic abilities/something way, way out there?  Bring it.  It also boils down to vampires/werewolves/psychics/etc. not being separate "species" with their own long-standing history/culture.  This is by design.

After explaining to a guest that, in our lore, a "werewolf" is a person who has developed a level of lycanthropy independent of their belonging to some werewolf bloodline, the response I got was "ah, well, that's a little boring and narrow."

Maybe I'm totally wrongheaded, but it seems like the opposite of that to me?

Edited by gist
  • I read this! 1
  • Agree 2

On 8/17/2018 at 2:50 AM, Rune said:

Had someone complain recently that I didn't explain how forum rp worked in greater detail.

I'm convinced that most of the complains in this thread - like the one mentioned in the quote above - are made by sad, bored trolls who enjoy coming into threads like this and reading about themselves.

As for my weirdest complain; on a very small forum I ran years ago I had a member complain and leave in a huff when she felt I didn't post enough in the thread we were doing. Lady, I had other threads to do too. Plus, she ignored my ooc question about my next reply so I was pretty much stuck.

• Cringe 2

On 12/6/2017 at 2:22 PM, Shades said:

That the site was discriminatory because it didn't list lesbian as a gender.

...Yes, I'm serious.

I saw that once. I wonder if it was the same person... >.>;

Anyhow, as far as characters go, someone was mad that my character wasn't a "real" goth, but it got deeper, they spent about four or five days messaging me trying to get me to change things about how she dressed, talked, etc. to fit they're idea of what being a goth was. I've never met someone that wanted to control another's character so badly, but I guess I must have really offended them because they left after I sent them an article talking about everything that related to "Goth" (including the architecture). I apologized to the admins later because the site wasn't very active but they agreed that guy/gal was pretty odd. 😛

• LOL 2

• 1 month later...

Had someone complain that it was our fault that they failed a passive activity check, that we should give the board a warning when we're checking activity aka run public checks so they can post. They were very inactive and only posted when public checks came around. It wouldn't have been such a big deal if they weren't hoarding a very popular role, one that got taken less than 24 hours of it being freed up.

• Fuck Yeah! 1
  • LOL 2

rpgi-sig.png

+ :: c o m i n g  s o o n  :: +