Weirdest Complaints You've Recieved

Rune

On 5/6/2018 at 11:25 PM, Scout said:

My rules didn't specifically say that an application couldn't be copy pasted from wikipedia. So me banning for that was, apparently, uncalled for and a horrible thing to do because how were they supposed to know they couldn't do that? 

I've seen people do similar things to this, though it wasn't wikipedia that they copied and pasted off - it was a mixture of things they copied and pasted from different fandom wikis to try and hide the fact that they'd stolen it. Their app stood out like a sore thumb because it had weird references in it that didn't fit the character or fandom. I've seen them occasionally join other sites which has some of the same copied and pasted text in it.

On 5/19/2018 at 7:33 AM, Scout said:

All time favorite: “there’s too many gay characters for a site set in the 70s. It’s just not realistic for them to be gay then.”

Uhm????

As someone who was born in the early 80's, I noticed growing up there were a lot of gay/queer celebs around who started their careers in the 70's or possibly earlier, so this statement makes me smile.

On 5/14/2018 at 12:21 AM, coastaloceangirl said:

The one I don't understand is on a canon site you get 'the character I want to play is taken.' ....... -blinks- okay..... um what would you like me to do for you? I have offered other suggestions, asked you about other characters you are interested in but you are deadset on that character. Sorry that someone beat you too them? Honestly I don't even know.

This is one of the reasons why I created my Tolkien site because most of the canon characters I was interested in playing had already been taken by others. I don't understand the complaint as they should look upon it as an oppertunity to make more sites in the fandom. If there's a character taken that you want to play, then surely there will be canons on the site that others want to play but can't because they're taken already? (Of course, a person might not always want to put the work into making a new site, but there is tumblr, twitter and rp social network sites they can go on instead.

Edited by Icewolf
  • Preach it! 1

This new one got me in stitches, idk what's in the rp waters nowadays but lol this guy tells me that because he didn't read the rules that he didn't agree to them and therefore shouldn't be expected to follow them let alone get in trouble for it lol Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that all boards have some sort of rules on them that folks really should read through.

--------------------

The other would be that we also got a complaint about the number of gay males on the board. They want me to ban them and force people to make hetro males because their character needs and I quote "more dating options." I'm not about to ban anything. Suggest? Sure, sometimes people come in and ask if we need or prefer something and I'd mention it then but I'm not about to full out ban it.

• Love 1
  • LOL 2
  • Preach it! 1

rpgi-sig.png

+ :: c o m i n g  s o o n  :: +

On 5/21/2018 at 3:36 PM, wicked said:

This new one got me in stitches, idk what's in the rp waters nowadays but lol this guy tells me that because he didn't read the rules that he didn't agree to them and therefore shouldn't be expected to follow them let alone get in trouble for it lol Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that all boards have some sort of rules on them that folks really should read through.

I genuinely don't care if people read my rules but by having them on board, you bet your butt I'm going to enforce them. That's like saying "I didn't know I wasn't allowed to wander around town Winnie the Pooh style so I can't be punished for it". Ugh.

This was a few years ago, but someone once said I was bullying them by not taking their want ad.  Like. What?

• Agree 1
  • LOL 1

IKiE2z.png

• 4 weeks later...

I used to run a Harry Potter board set in Harry's sixth year. Someone came into the cbox complaining of 'why can't I play Harry as older?? Why is everyone in the RPC so afraid of older characters???'

.... the board is set in Harry's sixth year. Harry's sixteen. I'm not say you're point isn't valid... but context is everything. You look real dumb right now o.O

• LOL 3

affbutton.gif

20 minutes ago, perry the platypus said:

I used to run a Harry Potter board set in Harry's sixth year. Someone came into the cbox complaining of 'why can't I play Harry as older?? Why is everyone in the RPC so afraid of older characters???'

.... the board is set in Harry's sixth year. Harry's sixteen. I'm not say you're point isn't valid... but context is everything. You look real dumb right now o.O

Sometimes I seriously wonder what is the deal with the HP fandom.

I used to run an AU HP roleplay set in the future. One of the statements was 'since we want every position to be open, canon characters will not be a part of this story'. First thing one of the players threw a fit about was that Neville wasn't in play, because 'she needed him to be on the roleplay so her character could ship with him'.

Yeah, no, child. Not gonna bring in a character solely to indulge your ship-fantasy.

• LOL 1
  • Preach it! 3

Shady McShaderson

My favourite ever complaint was years ago on a Marauders rp. I had a male character who was either bi or gay, can't remember and was using Jesse McCartney as the PB. This girl joins and before even having an app up, tells me she's in love with Jesse and asks to ship and wants me to give her my ideal woman for her to app. I don't ship just because someone likes the PB so naturally I said no, she made a standard 'pretty girl' sort of character and she kept on and on about shipping until one day roughly a week or so later when she discovered I was female... This was back when I never used my real name and most of the time went by my main characters name, at the time I played only male characters so I was going by James because I also played James Potter. She happened to see in the cbox someone refer to me as her or she...

She freaked out. Accused me of lying to her, called me some unsavoury names, etc. Apparently you can't play male characters and be female, so she complained to the staff about me. The response was basically 'wtf?' from staff and members alike. Never saw her again. It was extremely funny.

On a site I actually admined, I used to admin on a huge HP site and another site started trolling and attacking ours because we 'stolen their application form'. They reported us to Proboards, bad mouthed us everywhere and were basically twats about the whole thing. Now both forms were BB coded and had all the typical fields you'd expect on a HP site. Meaning the same BB coded application that was on every other standard Harry Potter/Hogwarts site. The admin eventually reworded stuff and rejigged the app and added a few little graphics/flourishes to make it look different despite us all urging her to ignore them. They did get bored eventually.

Another one I had (might have been the same site as above which was trio era?) someone joined, made themselves James Potter's sister who was married to Remus Lupin but in love with Sirius... The app got denied and she was asked to change it due to the fact that she hadn't asked any of the canons involved if she could make the character and that as a canon site, she couldn't just make someone related to a major canon because it didn't fit with Harry's story. She changed it. First thread after being accepted was a post in one of Sirius' closed threads with another character informing him she was expecting his baby and they had to work out how to tell Remus that they'd cheated. After all the 'wtf just happened' and PMs from all the characters involved basically half crying/laughing at this nonsense, the member gets pulled aside and reminded why she was told to change the app in the first place. She complains that we're too strict and ruining her fun and storms off the site after informing us she wouldn't want to be on our crappy site anyway. We weren't sorry.

Weirdest by far on was on my old Merlin site and this girl joined but she didn't want to RP because she didn't want to app, our rules were too strict, we were too AU, etc, the list of complaints went on and she decided she just wanted to hang out in the OOC areas (which weren't much used at the time). She wanted to be able to PM people and chat in the cbox. I said she could stay until the next activity check where I'd be deleting all accounts who hadn't posted ICly that month, I explained this was normal practice and that as we weren't a chat site, members would feel more comfortable if she was properly apart of the community (and not just hanging around being weird and not liking the main purpose of the site). She took great offence to this and said rules were made to be broken and that as she and I were such good friends I should make an exception. I refused, pointed her to a Merlin chat site she could join and asked her to respect my wishes. She then complained that I was been uppety because I already had friends and thought I was too good for her (WTF?). She then PMs the only other member who'd spoken to her with a link to her own Merlin site that she'd made just that minute to prove she could be a better admin than me. It was insane. She got banned and I have no idea what she even did with her site.

Edited by Maleficent
  • I read this! 1
  • LOL 3

vzcOoJ.png

This person pops up in the chat on our panfandom site to tell us:

...wow, when your desired character wouldn't be considered a person. Lovely. 

I tell him/her that yes, that is indeed the case (feral animals/robot/Pokemon/other such creatures can apply for citizenship if they want, but otherwise are generally not considered persons), but the government has strong laws in place against animal cruelty and such. There's a very logical reason for this. If we declared animals to be citizens, then does that mean that if a restaurant served meat, it'd be considered murder? Or gathering eggs from chickens would be theft or kidnapping?  Do you see the whole slippery slope there?

Why don't you tell us what character did you have in mind, my dude? Maybe you can tell us more about them and we can see what designation they fall under.

Oh, you'd... rather just flounce without another word because you can't get your way? Alright.

Anonymous poster hash: 3e2e8...f1c

• Agree 2
  • LOL 1

• Admin

This is an official staff reminder. This thread is for complaints you've received not a place to air your dirty laundry. I may have joked in my last post but continued abuse of this thread will end with it being locked.

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

• 3 weeks later...

Weirdest complaint I ever received was that myself and my two co-admins were all the same person threading with ourselves.

Yeah. That person seriously believed we were all one person. Funniest and weirdest complaint I've ever gotten! I remember we responded to said complaint by posting a picture of ourselves together from when we had last met up. :B

• LOL 3

soteadvert(1).png.4ef5e4df94405914a2b988b8ea3cde3a.png

I once got a "Beanie is bullying me because she answers people's historical questions in cbox before I can" complaint. That one was pretty baffling. 

• LOL 1

Oh, yes. "I'm being discriminated against OOC because other people's characters don't even call mine to see if she's okay". Complains the player, after her character turned her back on her family (to which said other people's characters belong) to marry a guy from a rivaling family and told the head of her family "she had no use for them anyway".

And then she proceeded to come up with anything bad to happen to her character - illness, accidents, a complicated pregnancy - in order to "force" the other characters to care about hers. Since they were forbidden to speak to hers, it didn't work. And she eventually left the group saying we all hated her for no reason.

• LOL 3

Shady McShaderson

There was once a member of a site I staff that got incredibly combative because their character review (which was almost an essay in and of itself thanks to how bad it was) was posted "publically". He kept insisting that he'd used this same character on other sites without issue and demanded to speak to a myself or another staffer over Discord or Skype. After a few posts worth of them being aggressive towards me, the admin finally came in to smite them with the ALLMIGHTY BAN-HAMMER!!!!!

I wanted to facepalm my head of during the whole thing.

• LOL 1

mFOWUnt.png
HOME | LINK BACK | PLOT

It's been seven hundred years since a great plague has swept the galaxy, devastating the Jedi and Sith and leaving civilization in ruins. From these ashes, three fledgling empires have arisen, resilient and powerful; the Corellians, the Hutts, and the Mandalorians. Will you pick a side and lead your people to glory? Or will you lurk in the shadows, bent on nothing but your own goals? Step into the Dark Age and carve your name into the stars.

rJP1Oql.png
PLOT|RULES|WORLD|BEGINNER'S GUIDE |RACES |WANTED ADS|ADS AND AFFILIATES

I once ran a site a very sort of generic type boarding school themed site with a friend, and we had a member someone who wanted to join who genuinely wanted to RP as a horse in the school stables and that was it. I (obviously) wasn't going to allow this because it just felt ridiculous and said that if she wanted to play a horse then there were plenty of sites out there where she could do that exclusively, so she started complaining about how the site wasn't fair because we weren't inclusive to people who wanted to play more than just humans. The most absurd part of this is that my friend eventually just let her make a horse to prove the point that it was a meaningless thing to do.

• LOL 4

gQuvI9r.png

~ talmeides university of magic ~

plotrequestsdiscordface claimsadvertising ♦

1 hour ago, aalyoshka said:

I once ran a site a very sort of generic type boarding school themed site with a friend, and we had a member someone who wanted to join who genuinely wanted to RP as a horse in the school stables and that was it. I (obviously) wasn't going to allow this because it just felt ridiculous and said that if she wanted to play a horse then there were plenty of sites out there where she could do that exclusively, so she started complaining about how the site wasn't fair because we weren't inclusive to people who wanted to play more than just humans. The most absurd part of this is that my friend eventually just let her make a horse to prove the point that it was a meaningless thing to do.

I had someone want to rp as a dog. And, I guess, just show up in threads and be there? They had a decent argument for it but it just wouldn't have jived with the board.

• LOL 2