Discord Questions

Cold Leather

Hey!

First off thanks for dropping in! Hopefully am not the one and only lost soul searching for answers about discord. I'm ridiculously new to discord and have zero clue about how to use its features other then the obvious voice/text chat. I made a discord after noticing the popularity surrounding it on numerous  rpg sites and now I have no clue how to fully utilize its use. Which leaves me floundering around like a fish out of water. 

For example what is a bot? Why are there so many of them? What purpose do they serve? Also how do you get more discord members? Can you advertise your discord serve like you do for RPG sites? What I mean by this is there something strictly designed for discord ads? Thus far I have been following the very mature rule of monkey see , monkey do when it comes to my serve by simply adding my discord link along with my site ads. 

A few other questions are is there anyway to delete messages as a whole, rather then one message at a time? 😒 Whelp, I think that about covers them for now, not that I won't have more later 😂

Again thanks people for anything you can contribute! 

-CL

okrShsQ.jpg?1

• Admin

Ahh discord... such an elusive bunny rabbit in the world.

Discord Bots normally automatically perform tasks. Like the Initiative has the "Init Bot" which auto posts topics from the Initiative into our discord server. It's a very basic bot but it's my favorite. We also have other bots and basically you're giving a bot access to your server to do things. Our Titan Bot allows us to have that cool widget on the main forum page where you can access discord without even opening the app or website.

You can google all sorts of bots. Here are a few links:

https://discordbots.org/

https://bots.discordlist.net/

Read their description and from there you can add them to your server and check them out. One bot I recommend is:

https://tatsumaki.xyz/

That's the cool leveling up one that we have on the initiative and it works to level you up between servers that you participate in that has the bot.

I'm sure there are plenty of ways to get more members but having the link on your site and normally near your cBox is key there. I don't know if there are locations to advertise a discord server except maybe the Discord Reddit? Even then I don't Reddit so I don't know.

Bots are the only way that I know of to delete more than one message at a time. I think you can delete messages from a time frame and specific members using bots but don't quote me.

• I read this! 1
  • Thank you 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

• Admin

@SithLordOfSnark it depends on the bot.

image.png

• Thank you 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I use Ub3r bot for pruning and automatic reminders to my members. I also moderate/admin several RP and non RP discord Servers. I find that getting more people for your discord specifically comes from advertising on larger discord Servers while following their rules. I have even gone as far as affiliating my forum/server with none RP discords. 

rpgdbutton2.png&key=dfb05af7bfa27396287d83219050c087a693d5129f138b5d126d1f2f5979e350watchaffiepurple.png&key=00171f06b95e74ffa2ed833f2f78f69c54c8d62932cebe6c4f5169ccd7f9c713
HOME // FORUM // NEWSLETTER // DISCORD ] 

I can second the non-RP discord affiliate thing. I started hanging out on a non-RP server, just being chatty and friendly, and ended up in their FAQ with another RP in response to questions about if the server hosts rp. I've had a few people come check me out because of it

• I read this! 1

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain