Sadrienne

When I was debating what characters I wanted to bring back with Tally, I almost decided not to pick up one of my old favourites.

Why?

Because I also play his wife.

Is that a weird thing? Do you get put off by players who play characters on both sides of a relationship?

It was weird when it happened. The characters had some shared backstory, but they were so different. Both were also in relationships with other characters, and one even had a character made for them. Problem was: none of it would stick. The more scenes I wrote that included these two characters, the more they sort of... moved together. It wasn't a conscious thing on my part it just happened. 

I was so confused by it. I'm writing both halves here, so shouldn't I have full control?

Eventually I gave in, and let them be. But I do wonder what people think when they realise that I write both of them, and whether it raises eyebrows. I don't really do scenes with just them, I tend to write short stories (it flows better) to fill in gaps/provide background on what they're doing. They still have active lives outside each other.

But... I don't know. It could be weird. It could be seen as playing with myself. I'm not sure. What are your thoughts?

• I read this! 1
  • Love 1

[Image: oZwmoj.png]
the australian potterverse | we're back in black

So what? Go for it!

I have also siblings, couples (married, engaged or just in love), crewmates... As long as you aren't writing EXCLUSIVELY with yourself (in that case, you'd be better writing a novel), but those characters have other family members, friends, enemies, co-workers, everything is fine. They might be in need of advice or comfort about their relationship, others might get them into intrigues/ gossips/ rumours, or simply interactions with other characters show different aspects of their lives...

I promote actively this: if another character is very important for yours, better write it yourself, because you are the only person you can rely upon. Anyone else can vanish mid-plot (or change their minds unilaterally) any moment...

• I read this! 3
  • Love 1

^^ what she said.

I think it probably raises eyebrows because you're missing one of the great joys of RP, being surprised by what the other character does (because you're not writing them.)

But I don't think it's weird. Sometimes your own characters have more chemistry, that's fine. Authors write their own characters getting into relationships all the time. 

So no, I don't get put off by players who RP both sides of the relationship. 

• I read this! 2

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

I've done this myself because I got fed up of being messed around by people. It happens a lot on twitter where people just disappear, delete their accounts or dump people without even discussing it.

In addition to 'getting messed around' there always seems to be some who is disappointed that someone got chosen over them for a ship and trouble can ensue from that and it happens even more with canon characters. Sadly, some people also use shipping as an excuse to fly the politically correct flag and reject out right anyone who doesn't measure up to their standards. (I hope that doesn't come off too harsh, but it is the feeling I get from my experiences of such things.) I also find it hard to find a partner for my character(s) that is interesting, or would fit them because a lot of the OCs I come across are two dimensional. (That is probably a consequence of twitter which seems to encourage sparseness among writers, but choosing a pretty face, giving them a boring (usually dumb personality) and usually making them a princess, ruler or somehow a relation of royalty makes them boring to interact with. A lot of drama and upset can be caused over shipping that usually arises from people not talking to each other, assuming things, etc.

To avoid cliches in fandoms, they need a family background and having these characters around is useful rather than always making them a relative of canon characters, or a random orphan. (And that is useful in original settings too.)

You can also do this when you want to write but have no one to write with because your board is new, or if you're waiting on replies from others as a way of keeping active. Doing this can also ensure you don't write inappropriate storylines with under-age people, or avoid writing things you're not comfortable with. As shipping seems to be a big thing in rp, writing like this can free you up to concentrate on writing other storylines that interest you because you're not having to put all your effort into a ship. Some writers can be demanding and want everything their writer does to be about them and their ship which takes the fun out of it if you want to write other things as well.

As long as you don't make all of rps you have focused on the relationship, don't do it with every character you play or use it as a way to god mod, then there's nothing wrong with doing it. It's also better to be honest about it, too because people don't like finding out later that the character they wanted to ship their character with they couldn't because the same writer was doing both of them all along (as an example - there can be other ways of doing it.)

You will come across people who don't like it, but as long as you aren't god modding or preventing other people from developing their characters (the latter is something I worry about), then they can't complain.

• I read this! 3

• Admin

I play both sides of ships all the time. In fact I have permission from other players to play sides of ships that were created through rping and for whatever reason that ship isn’t happening anymore or isn’t on the site I’m on. 

For example @Kaybee let’s me use her character as an affair on sites that she’s not a part of because the relationship has become an integral part of the character. I of course would never do this without permission from the original player though. 

So as long as you enjoy it then do it. 

• I read this! 2
  • Love 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Honestly, I only get put off if the person uses the ship as a sort of a shield to avoid interactions with other players/characters. I have characters who are in a relationship with other characters I write, because I wanted some control over the story, or because one half of the ship is basically an NPC, so I'm not gonna sit here and say people shouldn't.

As long as they're not just writing with themselves and refusing to write with anyone else (which isn't the case here), I'm perfectly cool with people writing both sides of the ship.

• I read this! 2

Shady McShaderson

I don't mind it. If you enjoy playing both characters and aren't exclusively RPing with them alone. There is nothing wrong with it.

I haven't done this for relationships. I have done it for friendships, siblings, and even rivals because I was worried about how the character would be portrayed, or had bad experiences giving them out. 

• I read this! 1

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

As long as they're separate characters with their own interests and personalities (as they should be), then I don't care if one person plays both people in a relationships.  The only times I've seen it as a problem is when people mesh them together into one being or use them to gang up on another character even when it's not realistic so that they can have full power.

I play two siblings, and even though it can be a little tedious when I have to roleplay them in the same thread, I still love it.  One thing that I did, though, is that after awhile, I allowed people to be related in some manner - somebody plays the younger sister, for example, and previously I had adopted siblings, too.

• I read this! 1

WoL___dark01.png

Go for it! Have fun with it.  I have several characters like this- and only 1 involved with another players' character. One is married to an NPC and the rest are all single. It just happened to work out this way. 

If this is the path that your light shines on- then follow it. See where it leads.

• I read this! 1

"He who trims himself to suit everyone soon whittles himself away."
- Raymond Hull

17.jpg