Need to Advert for a Staffer but Site Isn't Listed

Archivist

Question

I need to advertise for a forum systems operator, but my site is not yet in your directory.  My question is can I still post this and where?

It can't be listed yet because a snag has prevented anyone from posting so I just placed the site on hiatus for the Holiday Season- good enough excuse to keep the general population from knowing the REAL problem. 

Here's the situation- I had fair warning - plenty of time / advance notice that there would be updates made to the server by my host. So, I posted in 2 other places an advertisement looking for a system operator capable of working with the phpbb program and code. This is the forum system we've used since 2002. Because there is no money in the budget  ( my pocket ) this position is volunteer. 

While the ad received over 100 views on one site and over 80 on the other- there were no takers. Well, none except the one who offered to do it for $ 50. This is NOT in my budget.

Well, the upgrade came and passed and now- not even I can log into the forum. The version is not supported by the current php codes.

In the beginning, I was capable of the upgrades myself- now, the system is too complex for me. My members do not want to change to another forum program and neither do I.

As far as paying for someone to do it - I realize that people need to make money where they can, but $ 50 is just not in my budget.  I'm the only one financing this site- and I'm on a limited income.

I thought I'd save time and include the ad / problem in this- hoping, maybe, someone can help. The guy who usually does this for me, the last few years, he's wrapped up with his family. One of his daughters is in her high school band and they're set to go to Nationals. Yeah, I'd be there if she were my kid too. Priorities right, 

This is the kind of thing that can kill a site. For as long as we've been around- it would be a shame for it to die.

Edited by Archivist

"He who trims himself to suit everyone soon whittles himself away."
- Raymond Hull

17.jpg

6 answers to this question

• Admin

I'm taking care of this via Initiative Tech support.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Why don't you get on jcink? That is free!

@Elena

I do respect your product loyalty, my group is just a loyal to phpBB.

When people find something they like, they tend to stick with it.

We've been using the phpBB forum system since 2002. It too is free.

Edited by Archivist
change of content

- Raymond Hull

17.jpg

Thank you, Morrigan, very much appreciated.

- Raymond Hull

17.jpg

@Archivist, my site started on Invisionfree. I never have "product loyalty", but always choose what is better then. The year 1719 of the story is on Invisionfree (now with the role of archive) and since 1720 we started on Jcink, which is better and easier to use. Now we have passed at the third volume of the story (also on jcink, but if there was anything better, more perfectioned, I would have chosen that one).

If your site software is difficult to use, why not move to something more popular, easier and free?

Edited by Elena

• Admin

I'm closing this thread as it has derailed from the original topic at hand.

The long and short of it is that it's not difficult @Elena they just were looking for help and didn't want to pay an exorbitant amount for 20 minutes of someones time. That to me is fair.

Some people like freehosts like jcink, some do not. This is not a fault of anyone it's all preference. It would be like convincing me to switch the Initiative to Jcink. Never going to happen because I think Jcink is a waste of my time simply because JCink is basically a 2000s version of what we run now (and actually is). There is no need to debate it, the user wants what the user wants, plain and simple.

• I read this! 2

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.