How do you you feel about suggested playbys?

Gothic

How do you feel about suggested playbys? Do you like them or dislike them? Do they help to provide a possible face?

I'm going to be putting up wanted ads soon I wanted other people's thoughts on it.

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

27 minutes ago, jenneral_jennson said:

I like them. It gives me an idea of what the other person is looking for, plus you don't have to use the suggested faces if you don't want but they're there. 

This is my opinion too.

• I read this! 1

I have a mix of suggested PB and a generic silhouette in my want ads. A few have a face and a few of them don't. 

Most of them are open to negotiation, and I am happy to discuss possibilities.

I usually won't take just any suggested face because I have a small cache of PB's that just make me shudder at the thought of them.

Often it is the faces that were attached to a character that was played by a person I never want to RP with again. 

• I read this! 2

5a691fb4de413_advertisingbanner_rpginitiativeTS.png.699678f5663abf3c750d133673768a18.png

Plot | Rules | Canons | Wanted | Advertising

I have an irrational dislike of them and it doesn't matter if they are optional. The only explanation I've found was I feel constrained by knowing what kind of look someone is after. I usually have a very different visual picture.

But yeah, it's irrational and I think it's the minority view (not just because of the posts before this one.)

• I read this! 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

I don't mind them. It can be helpful to see what the other player has in mind for that character. So long as it's a suggestion and not mandatory. Because yes, it is their wanted and I do want to please them, but it's also my character, and I want to please myself, too.

But I recently joined a site that doesn't require PB's and it is ponies-damned liberating omfp. I'm a little in love.

• I read this! 2

I prefer them, it gives me a sense of what the other is looking for, as well as knowing that if I can't find anybody I prefer more I have something to lean on. I always try to stay open with the faceclaims I offer for my own wanted ads, and I do face claim searches for other people who want to swap out some suggested FCs.

The trouble I find is with people who seem to suspiciously snipe somebody's suggested FCs. Player A puts up a wanted ad using X as a suggested FC. Less than 24 hours later, Player B reserves or swaps one of their FCs to be of X. Now Player A has to change their suggested FC or explain to anybody who wanted to take that wanted with that face "oh, sorry, the FC is claimed but we can find another together". Some people do get attached to using a particular FC for a character too, so it can cause difficulties there.

• I read this! 2

I'll be honest, I don't like them. I much prefer that the person puts up whatever visual traits they would like for the character. Example: "I want a blue-eyed blonde with curly hair". I don't know, I feel people are too obsessed with picking out play bys for other people to use. If the person is not flexible at all, I'll most of the time not take a wanted ad I otherwise would because I love everything else about it.

Different strokes at all, that's just my personal opinion. I'll always work with my partner and run my play by choices by them, even letting them make the final choice once I have picked a few I like. But I like having this freedom to make the initial choices.

• I read this! 2

Shady McShaderson

Are they really suggested, or is the player just trying to appear to be flexible?

That's what always crosses my mind.  And if I really don't like the PBs that are suggested, I'll likely not take it because I don't know if that person will be irritated at me for not playing along.

In my experiences, people say things they don't mean.  (Ex: "No word count but post at least kdy28uieuf8u1231 words!")  People bend to what they think other people will want, but they don't really want it.

So while I like the idea of suggested face claims, I still may not take the character.

• I read this! 2

WoL___dark01.png

• Admin

I like them, I can often create a character based on a looks from suggested characters and I rarely change them.

If I have a wanted ad up I actually specify whether or not the PB is or is not a suggestion. If I want that to be the specific PB then I will make it clear. If it's legit a suggestion then I make that clear.

• I read this! 3

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

27 minutes ago, Uaithne said:

Are they really suggested, or is the player just trying to appear to be flexible?

This is  what worries me too. Not that I will never ever take a wanted if there's a face attached to it. (Have taken one recently) But I want to know exactly where we stand, and whether or not it's actually a suggestion.

Nothing wrong with saying "hey, I want someone to play this character with (person's) face" and let people decide whether or not they want to take it. But then, I would bet it's because people fear the character won't be taken if they don't try to appear flexible.

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 2

Shady McShaderson

• Operations Mod

Over all I'm neutral towards suggested play bys, but I do tend to avoid them when I'm making wanteds unless there's a specific reason. For example, on my site there's a large family called the Redfords, and the majority of their play bys have ended up being Walking Dead cast - started out as a joke, then turned into a running thing though it isn't a requirement in any way. 

Mostly I like to leave as much control up to the other writers as possible, though, so unless they ask for my thoughts I generally leave them off the ad itself. As for site canons, we do usually suggest a FC; but those are always up for change if the player wants. 

I do hate it when sites slap general suggested play bys on their claim lists, though, that's irritating. I've skipped out on joining a lot of sites because of that. It's one thing to do it with site canons, but I don't think its reasonable to do it for every last player's wanted ad list. 

• I read this! 1

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

I like them! If the mods don't then say I have no choice except the suggested pb. xD

• I read this! 1

I like them! I always include suggested PBs in my want ads to give people ideas, and state that it is not essential they use it, and that they are more than free to use someone different :) 

• I read this! 2

rsz_rsz_new1.png

It is the year of the 125th (Winter) Hunger Games. There is no District Thirteen. The Capitol is in complete control and the rest of Panem must obey.
Index // Rules // Plot // Application // Want Ads // Link Back // Discord