What do you like in your development?

omgwes

Hey y'all.  What kind of extras do you like to stuff in those 'free for all' places to enhance your character development?

I'm coding tabs for our development threads with different sections for people to put things in. So I'm trying to figure out what kind of things people may want to put in there... I've seen development used for playlists, extra photos / mood boards, thread trackers.... 

EDIT: For context, I'm adding a screen cap of the code so y'all can see what I mean by tabs / sections. I'm making my code into a tutorial so people can customize it and add whatever they want. Still want ideas on what I could add! Thanks guys!

devcode.png

Edited by omgwes
  • Love 1

2ibnwye.jpg

I like a free-form area just to write about development in general.

On my site, I also have challenges, so people can link their completed or in-progress challenges.

Then there's an area for family members, friends, coworkers, and other relationships that people can update as they go along.

And also a thread tracker so that it can all be together.

(All of these are in my profile, so they're there with the basic character information, too.  Keeping it all together.)

I don't have a lot of experiences with some of the other stuff, but I have no desire for mood boards or playlists or anything like that because it doesn't help me, and I find that fretting with that takes away time from things that are either writing or will help enhance my writing experience.  But that's just me, and I know that others do enjoy those sorts of things.

Great question, by the way, and I look forward to hearing what other people have to say.

• Love 1

WoL___dark01.png

I don't need coding. For my characters' development, I write journals and letters, I might do surveys or any kind of inspiring graphics (not exactly board moods), describe their house/ ship/ workplace/ and describe the NPCs around them.  

• I read this! 1

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Playlists - I am one of those people who loves playlists. I have one on spotify for each character. I listen to the radio and a song will just strike me as very much one character or another, and then I'll send it to my RP partner so we can gush about it. I also listen to music to get me in the right head space to write certain characters. 

Moodboards - I never saw the point in these originally. But then I started a pinterest for my characters and the rest is history. I also like just collecting gifs and images that strike me as very in character. This is admittedly one of my more fluffy and frivolous habits.... and come one, obviously since I'm coding a darn dev template, I like my fluff and I'm okay with that.

Trackers - Absolute necessity. I actually started using Trello which is a to do list site / app. You can check off threads when you complete them and uncheck when you owe. It's super helpful. 

Relationships - So I have these in my profile HTML template, so no need this time... but generally I do have a list of who I have plots with and a general summary. Admittedly, I often neglect this because I'm too busy plotting to keep track.

I did make a 'ship section in the template for romances since pairings seems to be a common occurrence on our site and people get super into them. I have some people I've been writing with for years that have really close ties to my characters too, so I get it. 

Journals / Letters / Roleplaying solo - I have a hard time finding the time for this, but I have threaded with myself from time to time. I enjoy developing the backstory if it's applicable to IC activities. I had forgtotten this one, thanks! 

Setting - Houses and workplace are also good ideas! We have galleries for locations on our site, so I guess I overlooked it as redundant but totally a great addition for character building. Especially great for people who have minor locations what may not be site-wide worthy but need a place. 

=]

Edited by omgwes
  • I read this! 1

2ibnwye.jpg