Advice and lessons from Historical RP Admins

Kit the Human

What advice would you give to other admins running a historical RP? What have you learned?

Personally, I'm a humble student in this matter. I can say that from observing other sites, that you should never worry if your site is too niche. If it's a time and place you're interested in, your enthusiasm will be infectious and people will join.

Advice to myself from my last go will probably be to chill out and give more energy to community building (I'm pants at building communities, she says as she makes a coterie.)

• I read this! 1
  • Love 2

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

My best advice having ran and still running one of the more active boards: don't ever compare you board to another. If you find yourself going over and over and over "this person sucks at historicals because" or "My board isn't as fancy because" you will forever be in a loop and never get anything done!

That and you can't make everyone happy! So make sure YOU are having fun too!

• I read this! 3

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

Help your writers research. Provide documentation on site and links to resources.

Edited by Elena
  • I read this! 1

Provide resources but understand members will make mistakes. Also treat any mistakes like it's not a big deal or they are in trouble for it. 

There will always be people who think your site is too accurate or too AU/fiction based. Focus on the positives. 

It helps to be well-versed, however, you don't need to be an expert and do not allow people who are more knowledgeable to bully members (or your staff) about it. 

• I read this! 3
  • Preach it! 1

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

Thanks everyone so far, this is really good advice. I agree @Bishop, it's not usually helpful to compare yourself to others because you want your focus to be on your own forum, not on others. In saying that, I like to see what other people are doing and then go to myself, is there anything I can learn from this? But that's coming from a spirit of wanting to better myself, not to bring anyone down, compete with anyone or to self flagellate. 

I agree with @Elena and @Gothic too! You should help your members get acclimatised and part of doing that is helping them understand the setting. Do you guys have advice on how much is too much? You don't want to overwhelm anyone but at the same time, you don't want to throw them in the deep end and expect them to thrive. Personally, I'm aiming for a kind of broad overview of common topics. Like for my forum, I need to write about ships and a guide on terminology. For any topic that has a lot of information in it, I summarise the key points.

• I read this! 2

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

With information, I've had mixed results with how much is too much. I've had people say how much they love it and want more. And others not like it.

My biggest issue is that AeRo has been around since 2008. So we have a lot of AU history to cover so potential members can be quite intimidated by it, as well. 

• I read this! 1

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LOVE ME AND DESPAIR

How much is too much is the inevitable question people always ask themselves when creating anything historical or with much lore, and there's really no good answer 'cause you'll have people who will love the bunches you have then you'll have people who will complain if you have any extra things for optional reading beyond the key stuff to get started. So always play it by ear, I say. I think the most important thing, and something I've seen people praise sites for through the years, is being clear on content that must be read and content that is optional. What we do on SUtD is break things down:

Under our first category is our first forum called In The Beginning, and we make it clear that this is the place that'll help members get information and guidance on the site in the sense that under it are the key things like our Getting Started subforum(also linked in sidebar) as well as our Announcements/Updates section and our Crew & Credits section. Getting Started is all the must-read-to-app things like rules, plot, usergroups, etc. and also in this section is our handy Table of Contents — this is a feature I really love and borrowed after seeing it on another forum, and other forums have since borrowed it from us(they ask just as I did though really nobody needs to, but we're all chill that way lol). It's essentially a site map made out of links to help people have an easy way around the board if they desire.

Now, our optional reading is under our second forum in the first board category, this is called Storia. We do make it clear that some people might have to read things and research especially if stepping outside their usual bounds and/or playing certain character types: India Natives, BEIC, and some others. We break this forum down into two subforums:

Compendium which contains all the non-fictional history stuff put into three subforums(each broken down into further subforums if needed, but only two have other subforums in them) called The WorldThe People, and Timelines. So the first subforum has a bunch of different things like region & setting, culture, medicine, science, & tech, and fashion, art, & architecture while the second subforum has only one subforum called game-changers. All the stuff in that first subforum section might be important say if you're making a Native Hindu character, but other stuff might not be like perhaps you don't really care how many different modes of transportation exist in India. The second subforum though has stuff that could be truly important to the story such as people or organizations of key importance(ie the British East India Company for example) while the subforum under it called game-changers lists things that happened or that will happen soon that could have a big impact on the story, the setting, etc.

Worldbuilding which is simple as the start of the board description states: "Where Compendium offers non-fictional accounts of history, Worldbuilding offers a place for member-submitted fictional groups, organisations, businesses, farms, and ships." And simply put if you make up a business, an organization, etc. this is where it goes.

Whenever I answer site RP requests I always explain the differences between what is mandatory and what is optional while highlighting they might need to eventually read something in the optional area, or they might have to before apping, but I also make it clear that staff will gladly answer questions and that we don't mind them. I feel this is important to stress, I know I've talked to people who felt like if they didn't know all the research for a period that made them unfit to join a historical and we've explained that we will gladly help with anything they might want to learn. We also try to make our resources easy. They're written up in the own words of whatever staff member(or member as we encourage members to submit resources) researched and wrote the resource, and then links to the sources for further reading are provided. We also have an OoC section called The Library where people can slap things they found without needing to write-up anything special, and we have a similar channel in our Discord, though sometimes a thing slapped in either will end up in our Compendium later.

And though this might fall into management some, I feel it's important to mention too cause part of the top bit relies on management too, ya know? The last forum in our first category is called Cornerstone which has all our claims and such, but the reason I mention this is it holds as well two subforums Questions and Resolved Questions, and under this same area is our FAQ. We make it clear we'll update the latter as needed based off questions answered/needing clarification. We provide these here, but also link to Table of Contents and FAQ in our sidebar(under the flag when you scroll down some), and link to Questions in our CBox. On the same front, whenever we updated anything: new resources, editing a resource, updating claims, accepting a new app, etc. we then post those things in our monthly Changelog.

Each month we post a new Changelog thread and pin it in our Announcements section. The posts are each broken down by week(Sunday to Sunday; though sometimes if a month begins/ends with straggler days those are just added in for the first/last week). We edit that post through the week with any new updates, let members know we updated it(usually toss a mention in the cbox and announcements channel on Discord), and when a new week rolls around make the new post. Doesn't really matter what staff member makes it. Once the month changes we unpin that one, make the new one and pin it up, and wah-la. We've found it really useful and it's an easy way for some folks to glance back, see what might've changed since they last visited, etc.

Hmmm I'm trying to think of anything else that might help, but I think I covered what I can think of at the moment. Sorry if it was a lot. I'm not saying, of course, this is the only way to do this; just telling you what has worked well for us so you can get some ideas and hopefully figure out what works best for you. =D

• 2 months later...

I've participated in historical groups that base their fiction on exact historical settings and run at least two groups where we have pursued a more alternative take to history by taking "What if/What then" and using history to give these a basis for our story's alternative historical fact.  It is amazing how daunting all of it feels when you start, get going, and just keeping up with your brain baby!  Here is the advice I would give to a fellow lover of history who doesn't want to just be a passive learner but immerse themselves up to the eyeballs in the world of it:

Give yourself some grace --  No one expects you to be a PhD level expert on what it is you are presenting for enjoyment, it is just that, enjoyment!  Everyone has a varied level of how they choose to engage with RP. Your choice is just as valid as anyone else's!  Your choice sets the tone for the whole experience, so it is alright to say what you know, learn as you go. It's what we all are doing. None of  us, no matter how badly we want to, have a Library of Alexandria at our beck and call (alas that we do not!  Mourn!) where all the answers are there without question.  It may not be perfect at the start. You may have things you want to adjust later on. It's fine!

What you do elect to make your primary feature, feature it well -- What was the big draw to your era?  Was it a particular city, a particular war?  A particular artistic movement? Whatever this thing or things may be, that will be your biggest draw because it is your biggest passion. Start there before going into all the other particulars where you can get lost in the details. Spend the most time fleshing out the important aspects of your primary feature(s) so incoming members get a real sense for the setting. 

Share information in both long and short formats , and don't be afraid to keep sharing it- There isn't such a thing as too much information in our genre because, really, the details are what make us who we are!  This is an era where the details really do give you a sense of the time you are in from the sound of the daily life to the fabric of the clothes, the food in your area, the occupations, the people, and the things that were most important to them. What does happen, though, is that everyone has different ways to utilize information. Our group features two different ways of sharing said information. We have a Compendium which goes into more detail about a variety of area topics, peoples, cultural things, etc, where as in the Library area, there you will find more things like link lists, short paragraphs, bullet information lists. Both of these are open to member submission. Both of these are things the staff also continually add to. We also utilize this format in our Discord with a Library channel where we post links, blurbs, and all manner of found info.  Make your information not only a useful reference, but a living part of the social group experience!  You will find that you attract many who just love to share what they learn as well as are good at finding information.  Unique information sources?  Use them!  Sharing information also is a great way to keep things active during a slow period.

Do not be afraid of WiPs, but do not let them stack up too much either -- Those projects that may take you a long time to get to, or may be ongoing!  Don't let these make you feel bad as an admin!  Life doth call to us, and life will be answered. You can organize these things to be tackled via a calendar system or list. You can designate times to them. It's important to recognize what you consider an always ongoing project to be added to, and what you need as a WiP on a time limit. Apps, information, world building, various what nots.  If you let them build up, they can be overwhelming. How can you handle this? Do you have someone on your team who is good at a particular section or skill?  In our group, we each function according to our skill sets as a primary thing to do. When someone does have something they are working on? We offer to help utilizing those skill sets. It works a treat.  I've had to learn to stop feeling bad, for example, about a customs section I wanted to have filled out for local cultures. Now, this was before I realized just how daunting it was to capture the general culture of India, with regional/religious/visiting group specifics that may affect the setting. I spent near a year feeling bad about it. Now?  Our people have researched so much that they all have a very good knowledge without it, and that resource is about to be ten times easier to finish!

Decide how much fiction you want in your historical fiction, and how much AU you are willing to explore even within a setting of genuine history -- Even in a setting that is, to our eyes, to the letter accurate? You are writing characters inspired by a setting. If you are using actual figures or families for this inspiration, sometimes, as admins we may feel pressured to "do those people justice" by way of making sure we portray them as accurately as possible.  What will make this easier is if you already know, in you group dynamic and in your policy just how far creative license goes. Why is this important to know?  Between every major war and every sickness, between every marriage alliance and every new trade route are things that people wish to personally explore that could effect the setting in a major way. If you are trying to play it more by the book leading up to a historical event or it is based off a huge moment, this could leave you feeling daunted. Did this happen? Is this okay?  What can be introduced that still fits? If you know what you want before hand it makes life so much easier not only on you as an admin, but on your members as well. The less you have to police those sorts of additions? The more things can grow, develop,and be enjoyed. Personally? I am all for period inspired ideas including battles that didn't happen, skirmishes, riots, sickness, political situations, etc because history is our guide book and not our measuring stick. I want to see our members use the setting to its fullest advantage. We make sure to offer planning resources they can use on the board as well as tell them in our Discord we are always around to assist with planning.  We even have cultures that while they crossed the land, might not have been playing hard ball to the extent that we write them as, but the stories are so compelling and their basis can be validated, so why not? 

Don't be off put by what could be labeled as  "boring" because all manner of intrigues had a boring basis -- Ah, the dinner party. Presentations at court. Going to tea! Arriving for breakfast. Selecting fabrics or dress patterns. That slice of life stuff played host to some of the most historically fascinating, spy style relevant, rise to the top of the ladder, cut throat business that history has to show us. All of those things could be battle grounds. 

Encourage your members to play a diversity of characters by knowing the available diversity in the area you offer --  There are so many things that can be said about historical based RPG's that I have never found to be true. There are limited opportunities outright for diverse character representation on many spectrum and ethnicity. Women don't do anything. The list goes on. These are perfect places to put in your personal expertise because we are all passionate about something. Me? One of them happens to be diverse representations and presentations of women, people of color, and GLBT individuals.  Use your places as a chance for players to explore all manner of things!  Dispel those myths!  Crush those stereotypes. Kick down that door and have a damn good time doing it!  I have had a magnificent time over the years playing characters that did everything from raise children while teaching others how to read, travel the world,  become power players in their communities, battle field bad asses, and people of color that do everything from be the illegitimate children of nobility to design maps. It can be done!  It was done! So where you can? Let them do it. If you are uncomfortable? That's okay!  Explore a little of what you don't know and find some magic along the way!

Niche settings are the best settings -- Why? You are taking your players somewhere they haven't been or that isn't offered as much in the play options. No one can tell the story of your setting like you. Take pride in the obscurity you have and the distinctions you are highlighting. Field of Dreams level talk here, but if you build it? They will come. 

• Love 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Preach it! 1

NewSig.png
Welcome to the City of Destiny

Wedding Season 1797
Forming Families Among the Rumors and the Joy
Will you ally for love or money, business or pleasure, peace or war?