Reading List

omgwes

I thought something fun would be to list our favorite urban fantasy series in case anyone is looking for some inspiration or a new book?

Arthur & Title or Series

Patricia Briggs, Mercy Thompson Series

Kelley Armstrong, Women of the Otherworld Series

Keri Arthur, Riley Jensen Guardian Series

• Like 1

2ibnwye.jpg

Author & Title

Patricia Briggs, Alpha/Omega series (ties into the Mercy Thompson Series)

Keri Author, Dark Angel series (ties into the Riley Jensen series)

Ilona Andrews, Kate Daniels series

Nalini Singh, Psy/Changeling series (urban fantasy meets sci-fi)

Nalini Singh, Guildhunter Series

Kim Harrison, Rachel Morrigan series. 

I, no doubt, have some more but I'll have to go through my books (hard copy and kindle) to see what I have worth reading. 

Edited by jenneral_jennson
I remembered another series
  • Like 1

• Operations Mod

Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman 

Mortal Instruments (series) - Cassandra Clare

Sherrilyn Kenyon's various works - these all take place in the same universe and while primarily modern span all the way back to ancient Greece. If you're into the romantic spin you'll love these. I read them for the verse, mostly. 

• Dark-Hunters
  • Were-Hunters
  • Lords of Avalon
  • Hellchaser 
  • Chronicles of Nick

Dresden Files (series)- JIm Butcher 

Blood and Chocolate - Annette Curtis Klaus (I simultaneously like and loathe this book so venture at your own risk)

American Gods - Neil Gaiman 

The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman 

Artemis Fowl (Series) - Eoin Colfer 

Icefire (series) - Chris d'Lacey

Salem's Lot - Stephen King

Dogsbody - Diana Wynne Jones

Inkheart (trilogy) - Cornelia Funke

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

Dresden Files, Jim Butcher

Mercy Thompson/Alpha and Omega, Patricia Briggs

Kate Daniels, Ilona Andrews

Kitty and the Midnight Hour, Carrie Vaughn

Anita Blake, Laurel K Hamilton

I'm gonna have to rummage for others.

My favourites are:

Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherwold, Darkest Powers

Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson/Alpha and Omega (though I prefer the Mercy Thompson ones.)

Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Norville series

Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series

Simon R. Green's Nightside series (He has several urban fantasy series.)

Tanya Huff's Vicki Nelson series

I have read other series, but these are the ones which stand out to me because they don't tend to focus on romance/adult scenes as much as the others I've read. There's only so many times I can read a love story and it not repetitive to me and I find adult scenes to distract from the more interesting parts of the book. I've become quite picky about the urban fantasy I read.

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh this is my favorite!

The Guildhunter series by Nalini Singh - So so good, especially if you're looking for something a little smutty with a great storyline. So addicting!

Anything by Patricia Briggs - the Mercy Thompson series is by fair my favorite, but Alpha & Omega is pretty good too. 

American Gods by Neil Gaiman - Definitely one of my new favorites. I've not finished the entire thing yet, but it definitely gives you a glimpse into the darker side of fantasy. 

The Southern Vampire Mysteries Series by Charlaine Harris - So much different than the show True Blood, but this is what it's based on. Gave me tons of inspiration for my own novels/RP site. Each book is a nice read - wasn't disappointed in the least. 

Anything by Laurell K Hamilton, but I especially love the Merry Gentry series

If you're looking for a modern supernatural romance, Lisa Kleypas has a few good ones that I used for inspiration for my RP/novels - Crystal Cove was the first one I read and it got me hooked! Rainshadow Road is another. 

Ironically, I'm not a huge Anita Blake fan. That usually throws people when I tell them that. But these are some of my recommendations! Enjoy! 

Ad.png

• 1 month later...

One perhaps unusual suggestion, for it's more comic books, would be the Fables series.

Fairy tale characters trying to live ordinary lives in a modern day big city. The magic is limited, and there are not many traditional modern fantasy species, there's even  investigative elements at moments, but I think it counts as modern fantasy still

Because, yes, you have illustrations and all, but the plot and story telling is so rich in itself you feel like having read a short novel after each comic.

Some comics are a bit weak on this side, and leave you with only a few images and dialog lines in mind, but it's not the case with this series.

oUIk3c.gif
Devil's Tattoo - Clan politics, bikers, urban legends, cougars, wolves, coyotes, badgers and more... 
Plenty of canons available, and OC are more than welcomed as well

• 3 months later...

I love almost all of the series listed!

Let me add:

Comics:

Moonstruck by Grace Ellis

The Black Monday Murders by Johnathon Hickman

Young Adult:

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater 

White Cat by Holly Black

Oooh good thread.

To add to the others, the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews.

The Otherworld series by Kelly Armstrong.

I recently picked up Kim Harrison's Hallowed series but haven't gotten to start it yet. Any thoughts?