Wanted Ads And Rules

Rune

Branch off of this thread: 

How do you dictate whom a character belongs to if they've been created for a wanted ad? How do you handle someone that has taken a wanted leaving the site? What are your individual rules regarding wanteds? Is there anything specific you've found smooths the process out or has proven worthless?

• I read this! 3

The character belongs to both requester and taker.

If the taker of a wanted ad has left the site, the requester might want to put the character up for adoption (and yes, for wanted ads the taker knew from the beginning that the possibility exists, while giving to the creator all the credit for what he had written while active - bio and posts) and continue the story. Sometimes, the requester decides to adopt the character himself (if fearing another abandonment). 

At his turn, the taker of a wanted ad, the one who created the character and left the site, can write the character elsewhere, but without requesting the initial character. Only with keeping (or changing) the history as fit.

(E.g. I am writing a shrewd merchant who was the requested husband of another character, who had run away from him. In the story on the other board, the wife had been caught by a bounty hunter and brought back to him. On my site, where I am writing him - and on a Western site where I had adapted his bio but didn't get to write him much before the site collapsed - the wife remained runaway, and he pretended she was dead in order to hide his shame. Then he moved across the world, posing in a widow. Which might get interesting if he wants to remarry some day...)

The one who adopts an already existing character, created by someone else, can't write the character elsewhere, because it is not his creation. He is credited only with the posts written since adoption.

• I read this! 2

As a general rule, requesters hold control over their own wanted ads until it's taken then it's a joint effort. If it's abandoned or they find that they don't mesh well with the player, they are encouraged to first tell the player, if they are still on site, and just post a new ad.

• I read this! 1

rpgi-sig.png

+ :: c o m i n g  s o o n  :: +

How do you dictate whom a character belongs to if they've been created for a wanted ad?

The Wanted requester and the taker. Mutual respect needs to be given to each other. I think it's in poor taste to take on a wanted to purposely break what has been established about the character, and at the same time, the requester is taking on a character that needed to be filled. That being said, the requester needs to respect that the taker is not merely their puppet, and needs to have some freedom in regards to the character they have taken on.

However, when I first started RPing, the requester would ultimately lose all control over their character and would need to trust the taker to play the character. The rule was to prevent requesters from trying to control another player. Although that RP culture was pretty different to today. 

How do you handle someone that has taken a wanted leaving the site?

If someone left the site. The player who took on the wanted character can still play and use that character. If the player who took on the wanted leaves, it is up to the poster to decide whether they repost to put the character back up again. 

What are your individual rules regarding wanteds?

I'm fairly easy going when it comes to my own. I would like to talk with someone prior to them apping and developing a good relationship with the player. 

Is there anything specific you've found smooths the process out or has proven worthless?

I've found a lot of people like guidelines and to hear what you want/expect from the character. I've said, "yeah I'm pretty easy going. Do whatever!" in the past and people did not respond well. 

From an admin perspective, I try to watch to make sure the requester doesn't hound the taker to post. That has been one of the more difficult sides of the coin. 

• I read this! 3

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

How do you dictate whom a character belongs to if they've been created for a wanted ad?

I believe the concept belongs to the requester, but the actual character (barring canons) belongs to the author. So, in the case of someone taking a wanted and then leaving, I personally don't allow people to get that exact character and ask someone else to play it. I do allow them to refine their ad with some traits they liked. Ex.: Someone asked for their character's husband. The taker made him a lawyer and the member loved it. I allow them to request that the next taker makes the character have this profession, but it being an original character.

How do you handle someone that has taken a wanted leaving the site?

I usually work with the requester, to make sure the person's creation is respected without derailing the taker's plot due to the other person leaving. The specifics of that vary.

What are your individual rules regarding wanteds?

Since I only run a very small site, I have some basic guidelines, encouraging people to create them in a way that allows the taker some creative freedom, and not just fitting into a cookie-cutter mold. I would probably have more rules if I had a bigger site, but the very few I have are working for now.

Is there anything specific you've found smooths the process out or has proven worthless?

I just ask people to be honest and specific about their wishes. Some people have a specific wish but don't post it because they want to appear flexible, and then shut down any suggestion that doesn't fit that (unstated) expectation. I always ask people not to do it, and try to help them refine their ads to the best of my ability.

Shady McShaderson

The character belongs to the writer. If what they do doesn't work for the requester, the onus is on the requester to communicate that and reopen the wanted ad. That's not necessarily a bad thing! It's just different and surprising opportunities arising. (Note, I actually really enjoy trying to create a character based around a particular concept or role so it's not like I'm advocating ignoring the original request. Just be aware that things change.)

Further, if I made a wanted ad and someone filled it and so enjoyed the character that they wanted to play them somewhere else, go for it! Do it with the same plot! I'm flattered that someone might enjoy the plot and character so much.

How do you handle someone that has taken a wanted leaving the site? What are your individual rules regarding wanteds? Is there anything specific you've found smooths the process out or has proven worthless?

Just reopen the request if you want to. Circumstances are too varied to make me want to put up a blanket strategy. I'll be happy to chat to any requesters who aren't sure how to deal with a leaver. 

Generally though, I'm chill. If a long term person leaves and the requester is stuck in a lurch, I don't think it's unreasonable to let the requester reopen the ad and update with all the new history. They do need to manage their expectations though, while any new writer ought to respect what has gone on before, I doubt they will be able to recreate a carbon copy. 

• I read this! 2

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

• 3 weeks later...

The character is definately a joint effort between requester and claimer. Input should be taken on both sides. Often, the character is requested for a certain plot line for the requester, and that needs to happen, but (unless the character is meant to be a kind of "guest star") the claimer/player needs to make it there own. COMMUNICATION IS KEY!

• I read this! 1

COLbanner.jpg.4418a16d1a463874b97fda81b0cf6df6.jpgTSLbanner.jpg.ebc7ea223ad9135f2955657a3b0c3e71.jpg

LHbanner.jpg.0654d6e14d70207faa7460bb5a7326d0.jpgBRbanner.jpg.80123b100a263f402fc861a3202e595b.jpg