Open Coterie  ·  64 members

Book Club

Reading Goals

Rune

This year, I set a Reading Challenge on Goodreads for 36 books, and while I almost missed it, it's looking like I'll pass it now in the next few days. Next year, I'm going to set it to 66 books because I have a good 20-30 books I'll read before March, so it would be unfair to read the majority of my challenge in the first 3 months XD

I don't set myself reading goals anymore because I start out wanting to stick to it, but after a while it stops being fun and becomes a chore instead. I want to read books because I want to, not because I feel like I have to, espeaically when it comes to reading fiction and classics, espeaically. (This means that I would never be good at studying for a literature degree, even though when I'm on a role, I can get through lots of books!)

33 minutes ago, webs said:

This year, I set a Reading Challenge on Goodreads for 36 books, and while I almost missed it, it's looking like I'll pass it now in the next few days. Next year, I'm going to set it to 66 books because I have a good 20-30 books I'll read before March, so it would be unfair to read the majority of my challenge in the first 3 months XD

I set mine at a book a week, then my work schedule changed and squeaked by with 14.

I always set the goal and then completely forget I set the goal. I haven’t been reading much lately that isn’t a text book but last year alone I read in excess of 50 books (this is probably a lot higher but I don’t remember). Most are completed series I don’t have to wait for.

Edited by jenneral_jennson

I've gotten, out of shape I guess, when it comes to reading. I used to be able to read heaps of books a year...no more. I actually think it's because of my browsing habits, I've trained myself to expect a lot of sensory stimulation at once. So when I read I find some part of me looking for that extra stimulation.

Saying that, a book a month seems like a good number to try and hit! I shall plant my flag next to @Rune

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

37 minutes ago, Kit the Human said:

I've gotten, out of shape I guess, when it comes to reading. I used to be able to read heaps of books a year...no more. I actually think it's because of my browsing habits, I've trained myself to expect a lot of sensory stimulation at once. So when I read I find some part of me looking for that extra stimulation.

Saying that, a book a month seems like a good number to try and hit! I shall plant my flag next to @Rune

Join me! I'll dump a thread next month so we can post what books we're reading and can scoot through the months or something.

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LOVE ME AND DESPAIR

I actually set my goal with the Goodreads Reading Challenge. Sadly, I have failed it more often than not the last couple years. I think last year was the worst case. This year I was proud of myself though cause even if I only just scraped by to win it(I read my last read for it yesterday, and my last 5 reads have been short stories on Tor's website, but they still count of course) I still managed to do it. Initially I'd only planned to read 10 books, and then I realized I was close to meeting it and still had time to go so I upped it by another 20. That was around the time RL started nailing me with a thousand things and I was worried I'd now not meet the goal so I'm pretty pleased since a lot of my previously missed goals, and lessened reading amount, has been due to RL stuff/health issues.

Not sure what I'm going to set it for next year, but since I've still got a good number of books left to read in my current series and others on my list I might be able to get more than 20.