Bio Handling with IPB

StormWolfe

Good Day,

I am in the process of creating an IPB site with an eye to possibly moving my Nova based game to a forum. I love the features, don't mind the fee, and have made good progress setting up the basics.

The problem I've run into and just can't think of the best way to handle it is character bios (applications). Our bios (at the Nova site) are rather complex and while I can minimize some of it, I have a reason for needing the longer history timelines. I don't mind formatting the bio for my players onto a nice tabbed template, but am wary of turning on HTML as this invites malicious attacks (so I've heard).

I attempted to set up applications via IPB's Pages feature, but was defeated. I understood the gist of creating the database, filters, records, etc., but the actual practice of creating a character record was beyond me.

Does anyone use IPB for RP that could help me out? Direct me to a template, etc.? Share their site so I can see how they have apps/bios set up? I'd honestly love to have the bios on the "character" accounts profile page somehow.

Any and all help, suggestions, and recommendations is appreciated.

Warmest regards and thank you,

~ Stormwolfe

• I read this! 1

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

@Deep Sea  We can lurk together!

• I read this! 1

RPG-Initiative

• Admin

While I'm working on getting my old character mod upgraded (it's just going to take time and money I don't have at the moment, I'm involving a dev that knows IPS4 better than I do and it will do everything my character mod could do before and more).

Pages is your best answer. While you may have been "defeated by pages" I think I can answer some of the more advanced issues that you had.

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

@Morrigan  You are just so incredibly wonderful! 

I thought that Pages would do what I wanted to do so followed the tutorial on setting everything up. I created a Page with two categories: Characters and NPCs. Figured once I got them working, I'd add my two less important categories: Archived and Adoptable. I was hoping to create roughly a setup similar to a wiki, with a infobox type section for the character's basic stats (gender, marital status, height, build, hair color - that sort of thing), then sections (blocks?) for the other major sections (Family, Personality, History).

I think they'd look awesome if I can make it work. My big fear is that it'll be too complicated for an incoming newbie to do. I really love Nova's simple "fill in the form, hit submit and voila! You have a beautiful tabbed bio with a built in gallery."

Too much rambling! I blame not having tea yet this morning.

Goals:

1. Easy to "create" and fill out for a new person (even if I have to create it once they've joined as long as they can fill it out, it's great.
  2. Can be edited as they get more at ease with their character and learn new stuff about them.
  3. Nice layout/presentation.

I really like the idea of doing it on pages. I can even add "galleries" to the bios if the Players want to create albums.

Anyway, thanks for listening to me ramble. If this is the wrong place for this, let me know! I wasn't sure.

PS: Is there a mod or trick to setting up the Profiles to display the basic character stats (mini profile type thing: age, gender, height, that stuff?) ? I looked for a mod, but no joy. I've fiddled with the profile fields, but they only show on the profile page.

Back to reading IP documentation. I'm very excited. Just gotta make it work!

Happy Holidays All,

~ Stormwolfe

RPG-Initiative

• Admin

There are a few ways to do this and while they may sound complicated at first once you get the handle on it, it's actually not that difficult.

The first way is to use the actual "display" fields properly. You say you want to have certain information on the right like a Wiki. Well if you have a required top and bottom field (for this example I'll say Character Name and age) you can use the display field to open and close the outer box and then you would use CSS to put it in the right place. So you would start like: <div class="wikiDiv"> in the Character name field and end it with a </div> in the age field. As long as the items in between the fields for the person to fill out should be inside of that div then it would be wrapped up too.

You can do this for any of the field displays.

Another alternative, manually create and code your template in the Pages > Templates section. This route is better if you want something more complicated like The Initiative's Directories etc. This page and the actual listings were made in this way:

https://thenet.work/wanted-ads/

Yes I know not a character page specifically but close to give an example. It's mostly responsive, I'll be honest I was feeling lazy when I created it.

Lastly, make mock up of it and ask real nice and I'll do it for you. ;) I take donations. lol

• Love 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

@Morrigan

I am seriously WOW'd and humbled!

My coding skills are nil. I can modify CSS (colors and minor changes only) and make very minute changes to the files on my current site. Doing something like your example is completely beyond me.

The example you linked me too is exactly the kind of thing I'd love to have. It's phenomenal and very reminiscent of how Nova handles bios. Example: http://rpgrealm.org/index.php/personnel/index

How difficult would it be for someone to create their bio and edit it on a set-up like that one? Assuming my level of coding ability or less (like someone that can barely click post). *grins*  I'm not that bad, but I have users that are borderline.

Thank you for the feedback and information! I'm actually starting to get excited although am still intimidated. I'll see what I can do for getting a mockup done. Your template at the example you linked me too is very very close.

Blessed be,

~ Stormwolfe

RPG-Initiative

• Admin

Register and go post a fake wanted ad. The site isn't active so I don't care.

• Love 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Well, OMG! That was nightmarishly easy!

It would simply be a case of making a bio form that Players could easily copy and fill out. A longer one for main characters and a just the basics for NPCs, children of played characters, family members, etc.

Could put a designation in the required fields stating if it was a playing character or NPC. And, like Nova, either I - or the player - could edit the actual bio image (not the cover image) and insert a link to an image gallery if they wanted one?

I am floored!

RPG-Initiative