Open Coterie  ·  64 members

Book Club

What are you currently reading?

kjSage

Woo-hoo, book club!  I've added myself because I have nobody left in my real life who reads fiction, and it's nice to every once in a while be able to mention a novel and earn a response other than a blank stare.

After finishing off Tommy Orange's There There a few days ago while I sat in the airport for six+ hours waiting for a plane to get repaired, I'm finally sinking my teeth into Lauren Groff's Fates and Furies.  I bought it months ago, read the first few chapters, and got distracted.  I've been wanting to read it for a few years, but I think part of what's been preventing my getting to it is that I went and spoiled the giant twist for myself when it came out.  Honestly, the prose are yummy enough that it really shouldn't matter.  Now I'm bound and determined to get to the end. 

I just finished reading The Mask of Zorro like... fifteen minutes ago, when my laptop was taking forever to update. Next up on the list is Pompeii by Robert Harris, which has been recommended to me as a historical thriller, so hopefully that'll be fun. I've also had American Gods on my reading list for forever, ever since watching the series. 

• Like 1

I burned through the second Mercy Thompson novel last night and just started "Smoke gets in your eyes: and other lessons from the crematory" by Caitlin Doughty

• Like 1

Respice Finem

Can be found causing mayhem and intrugue at Dawnbreak.

image.png.26f869973cedc9bd084f357aedf7c335.png

Guest LOVE ME AND DESPAIR

Just finished reading this short story, Welcome To Your Authentic Indian Experience(TM) by Rebecca Roanhorse, as one of my reading challenge tasks for the Book Riot Read Harder Challenge. Definitely recommend. The link takes you to where you can read it for free, but if you'd like to listen to it you can search the title and there's a Tor link that pops up where LeVar Burton reads it. I've just started reading another short story called The Secret Lives of the Nine Negro Teeth of George Washington
by Phenderson Djèlí Clark
 which I've been meaning to read for a little while now. Again, link takes you to site where you can read it.

Still reading The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden and really loving how the story flows. (reading just one thing at a time is impossible for me lol but having the reading challenge as a guide and goal is nice so I'm at least finishing stuff here and there)

I just finished Transcription by Kate Atkinson (4/5 - docked a star because her voice wasn't as vibrant as it is in her other books) and Lethal White by 'Robert Galbraith' (5/5 - I gulped it down.)

And then I was outta books again. 😢

So I bought The Wide, Carnivorous Sky and Other Monstrous Geographies by John Langan. As the mood strikes, I can bounce between those Langan's short stories and the stories in Third Bear by Jeff Vandermeer. 

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

• 4 months later...

Small Favor by Jim Butcher

Loooove the Dresden Files series so much.

I'm currently reading Runebinder by Alex R. Kahler. Not sure yet how I feel about it. It has the whole "Speshul Snowflake" fantasy feeling to it. You know, the MC can do special stuff other people can't. (Which does him no favors because it annoys me about him.) However, the inclusion of an incubi character tickles me because they're one of my favorite magic species to RP so I want to see what they do with him. 

Reality is an illusion. 

• 1 month later...

I just  The Hollows series by Kim Harrison, event though it wasn't actually in my tbr pile. #booklife

Find me at:

Sunrises and Sunsets - Never-Ending Stories

• 3 months later...

Just finished reading Bad Blood by John Carreyrou. I'm still stunned that people let themselves get used, scammed, and abused to the level that Elizabeth Holmes and her conspirators went. It's wild.

affbutton.gif

• 2 months later...

Currently reading Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman. Surprisingly, my desire to read the book was not inspired by the Amazon show, but by my favorite YouTuber who did a book review about it (he, of course, was inspired to review it based on the then upcoming show, and the fact that Pratchett is one of his favorite authors). 

I'm less than 100 pages from completing the book, and I'll say it has been a hell of a ride (small pun intended). Although I don't get all of the humor (I think that's bound to happen being an American reading a book filled with very British humor and references), I've really enjoyed the cheekiness and cleverness of the whole thing. I'm planning on finishing the book this week and am excited to see where this chaos ends up. 

umbra-galaxy.png

18+ multi-genre community. no application. no word count.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm currently reading The Paper Magician by Charlie M Holmberg. I've only just started it (I think about two, maybe three chapters in) but this far it's pretty solid. I love the writing,the world that's rich with it's own mechanics that I have to read more so that I can find out everything that's happening, and the main character is witty and sarcastic in a way that humorous. 

I had a site based on The Paper Magician a few years ago! 

I just finished Shirley Jackson’s The Haunting of Hill House. It came in my Owl Crate. Pretty good. Much better than the crappy movies. 

• Like 1

Reality is an illusion. 

On 9/24/2019 at 12:05 AM, Zozma said:

I had a site based on The Paper Magician a few years ago! 

I just finished Shirley Jackson’s The Haunting of Hill House. It came in my Owl Crate. Pretty good. Much better than the crappy movies. 

While I've not read the book myself, I've heard from people who enjoy it that the Netflix show does it justice. I think they did one season based on it and the next will be based on a different book(something to that extent, and I can't recall the book), but I remember positive responses to the idea.

I'm currently reading The Only Harmless Great Thing by Brooke Bolander which is a fascinating read and fulfills a challenge goal that requires me to read a fiction version and a nonfiction version relating to a similar thing so for the nonfiction I'll read The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore.

• 6 months later...

The Book of Koli by M.R. Carey - I got an arc early and just haven't finished it yet even though it released on the 14th. Hope to within a few days so I can review it.

I'm currently reading Ink by Alice Broadway, which I'm enjoying so far, but there are some editing issues that are irking me (a shame, because it keeps bringing me out of the plot). One thing to say about it, though, is that the cover artwork is amazing and was completely the deciding factor when I bought the book (who can resist so much copper foil?).

I've started The Haunting of Hill House, which I bought after watching the Netflix show (I enjoyed the show but it did make me very curious about the book). I was really enjoying it then moved house and the book has got absorbed back into my bookshelves - maybe when I finish Ink I'll find it and pick it up again.