What Historical RPGs would you like to see more of?

Kit the Human

What Historical RPGs would you like to see? What hankering has gone unsatisfied? 

I've always wanted to see a forum set in London during the Blitz. I don't expect it will be easy, but I think there would be a lot to draw on.

• I read this! 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

Guest LOVE ME AND DESPAIR

World War 1, perhaps. I know once upon a time a friend and I were making a Titanic forum. It would start in the months before it set sail then cover the aftermath period, and eventually branch into the first World War — though how exactly we never figured out though we know a lot of it would focus on America and peoples lives during it.

London during the Blitz sounds like it could be interesting. Definitely isn't one I've come across in RP land. I've seen a couple set in other areas during World War 2, but never that particular one.

I think areas outside of just England influence too is another good one. I was part of a setting that was more French history influenced, and that really opened my eyes to a lot of things. Now I'm part of one that while still somewhat British influenced is definitely outside the box as it deals a lot with India(and is set in it), and even has a lot of versatility/diversity in terms of people, countries, etc. that interact at this time. We've really learned a lot in researching for it.

Hmm other things. . . aspects of historical periods in other countries. Something set during Ottoman stuff would be really neat. RP that takes place during the various Wars of the Roses period, even. You see a lot of Tudor England, but never that period really. Though stepping beyond the bounds of just England/British is cool too. What else. . . certain periods of American History could be really neat too.

Oh man. When we were deciding where to set our historical, two choices came up. Morocco or India. I would like to see a historical Morocco RP, set sometime between 1799 to 1850. Seriously. It's rich with history and potential. First of all, you have Morocco preserving its Republic for the most part throughout that time period with French and English ships all sidling up into their harbours like hey, baby....*winkwink* 

Second, that European influence didn't stop there. Really, over hundred thousands of Europeans plonked down in Morocco as their primary residence. So, we're talking about the ability for English-speaking RPers to go oh okay, we can play stuff we read from historical novels in London or France! Familiarity, amirite? These fuckers just had to ponce around in Morocco instead of foggy, smoggy London! Ta-da. Plus, there's the Mediterranean sea and influx of economy between Morocco and Europe. Yeah, I'm talking about trades, bitches! MON-AY. By the way, we talkin' pretty money. Mmhm. Pretty, pretty mon-ay.

Third, can I even just squee about Carthage? There was a coastal outpost there from earliest Carthage. I'm fairly sure it was still preserved by that time period. Not to mention, Carthaginian influences seeped into the Berber traders even years later into the time period I'm talking about. Plus, CARTHAGINIAN RELICS. WHO DOESN'T WANT TO STEAL THOSE?! Okay, and none of that even includes the setting aesthetic!! Market gardens, olive trees, those sexy Turkish baths deep underground... *heavy breathing* Alright, alright. 

I'm now wondering how India > Morocco. *stares* 

And lost my train of thought for other historical ideas I was going to slap down here. Damn.

ETA: Nevermind, I remembered a few.

• Prohibition Era in America, early 1900s. Bootlegging, Protestantism, and what the hell happened with all the brewery and winemakers, hmm? Screw the Roaring Twenties with the pretty hair and sparkly clothes, gimme the downlow on what y'all gonna do bout that liquor and them Christian morals. Althoughhhh... I gotta say, the music was fab. *sigh*
  • 1850s in America, well after railroads were established. I'm super fascinated by the pace of Industrial Revolution after it took off in the 1700s. At this point, I adore the explosion of self-made magnates. Hell, London folks were coming to East America to find rich men for their poor but titled daughters. This is the sort of period I picture a canny forewarning of how 1920s would look mixed up with American fiery sass and England's Victorian polish. Not only that, but other careers took on a whole new outlook in structure, hierarchy, and availability of resources -- craftsmen, fighters, fishermen, etc. Everything was on the verge of something incredible with tons of seething anger and beautiful ambition hidden just inside. Also, boxers were far more prominent right around this time.
  • I won't lie -- I'm also intrigued by the possibility of more Northern historicals in general. Not just Canada, but across the pond, we have the cold neighbours being ignored. Check it out -- Norway, Finland, and Denmark. Can we have historical characters running around all badass like, so what if it's cold, we're BADASSES.
  • Gonna just lump these two in this bullet point and call it a night morning. Poland and Vienna. Separately, of course, lol, and in different times.
  • Oh wait, one more. India can't be the only Asian historical RP out there. There are tons of incredible Asian history intermixed with Europeans and Americans. Thailand, guys!! MALAYSIA. LAOS! Japan. Oh God, Japanese history is ridiculous. Indonesia. *whimpers* 
Edited by Kaycakes
thinkies
  • I read this! 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Yeah! 2

300x80AdBanner.png

home sweet home.

18th century British India rp. Jcink premium.

be geeky with me!

Guest LOVE ME AND DESPAIR
28 minutes ago, Kaycakes said:

I'm now wondering how India > Morocco. *stares* 

And lost my train of thought for other historical ideas I was going to slap down here. Damn.

ETA: Nevermind, I remembered a few.

• Prohibition Era in America, early 1900s. Bootlegging, Protestantism, and what the hell happened with all the brewery and winemakers, hmm? Screw the Roaring Twenties with the pretty hair and sparkly clothes, gimme the downlow on what y'all gonna do bout that liquor and them Christian morals. Althoughhhh... I gotta say, the music was fab. *sigh*

The two things from the above are what I'm quoting cause they have me cracking up.

Okay so, first off, when Kay was giving the options of ideas for setting for her historical I was firmly all aboard the Morocco train then somehow — and I'm still not even sure 100% how yet — I switched wholeheartedly to the India train. But some of that I know was 'cause Kay herself was there encouraging me with "loooooooooook at this!" and "Buuuut you can't resist thaaaat, can you?" the whole time so totally only has herself to blame.

Second off, I actually came here to post about prohibition era America! LOL I've been listening to the Legends of the Fall soundtrack on-and-off today(I love that movie, and the soundtrack is gorgeous, and I knoooow some people will mock me for it, but I don't care cause all the tragic love feeeelings *no regrets*) and I was sitting here just now like "yeees, prohibition would be a good one!". Only point I disagree with above is I would love to see Roaring '20s too. Honestly, in terms of a 3-way-historical-play that period is pretty ripe cause off the top of my head you get just two years after the end of WW1: the Roaring Twenties, Prohibition Era, and even by 1929 the start of the Great Depression.

Ugh I really don't need more ideas in my head these days lol

Also, I'd love to see more stuff set in like 1800s that isn't Victorian England.

13 minutes ago, LOVE ME AND DESPAIR said:

The two things from the above are what I'm quoting cause they have me cracking up.

Okay so, first off, when Kay was giving the options of ideas for setting for her historical I was firmly all aboard the Morocco train then somehow — and I'm still not even sure 100% how yet — I switched wholeheartedly to the India train. But some of that I know was 'cause Kay herself was there encouraging me with "loooooooooook at this!" and "Buuuut you can't resist thaaaat, can you?" the whole time so totally only has herself to blame.

Second off, I actually came here to post about prohibition era America! LOL I've been listening to the Legends of the Fall soundtrack on-and-off today(I love that movie, and the soundtrack is gorgeous, and I knoooow some people will mock me for it, but I don't care cause all the tragic love feeeelings *no regrets*) and I was sitting here just now like "yeees, prohibition would be a good one!". Only point I disagree with above is I would love to see Roaring '20s too. Honestly, in terms of a 3-way-historical-play that period is pretty ripe cause off the top of my head you get just two years after the end of WW1: the Roaring Twenties, Prohibition Era, and even by 1929 the start of the Great Depression.

Ugh I really don't need more ideas in my head these days lol

Also, I'd love to see more stuff set in like 1800s that isn't Victorian England.

You shut your face, woman.

Yeah, you're right, that era would seriously work well as 3-pronged. Nothing better than filling all 3 holes, right? There's so much here that hasn't truly been dug into for play yet. 

Style: Roaring Twenties. Gorgeous music, jazz really blossomed around this time. At this time was the big rise of the Lost Generation, which came out of World War I. They affected the aesthetics of this era bigly. Art Deco started to be fashionable here, too, plus the surge of the Surrealist movement. Literature was incredible at this time. Say hello to The Great Gatsby, Winnie the Pooh, and Ulysses. Upon reading, it appears that mah-jong and uh... pole-sitting were huge fads of this era.

Politics & Religion: Prohibition, Protestantism, Gangster influenced politics, etc.

War & Economics: Not only were we coming out of the aftermath of World War I, we headed right into the Great Depression. Like I said, this time period was stuck square between things and on the precipice. Oh man! Irish Civil War. 

Edited by Kaycakes
  • I read this! 1
  • Like 1

300x80AdBanner.png

home sweet home.

be geeky with me!

Oh. I would also like to see a little more Age of Sails. That was my very first experience in forum rp, period, even though it was kind of out of the era for it. It was a more revolutionary era than it was the golden age of pirates. I love revolutionary eras in general and this one was in the Caribbeans. 

• I read this! 2
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

300x80AdBanner.png

home sweet home.

be geeky with me!

I have three invite only boards going at the moment and I wasn't sure that they were things I wanted until I started to get into the story.

1. WWII set in Paris

2. Russia

3. Prague. *melts happily* Prague wasn't something I was even really aware of on a historical love until it was brought up. I had no idea how incredibly on my love it would grow.

I chose Venice for many reasons, but #1 being it was truly the last big port for all nations in the time frame that I love the most, and you really can have a character from just about anywhere.

But Prague, mmmmmmm

• I read this! 1
  • Like 1

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

I would love to see more based around the Mongolian empire. Or the Huns. 

• I read this! 2
  • Preach it! 1

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

I would like to see:

1. More Viking-Age sites

2. Italian/ French/ Spanish Renaissance (for the Spanish one, that should be Age of Discovery)

3. For @Gothic's Mongolian Empire... what about Marco Polo on the Silk Road?

4. Aztecs or Incas in the 1400-1500s (ie a little before, during and after the conquista)

5. Japan during the Shogun and with the ronin wars...

• I read this! 1
  • Fuck Yeah! 1

10 hours ago, Bishop said:

I have three invite only boards going at the moment and I wasn't sure that they were things I wanted until I started to get into the story.

1. WWII set in Paris

@Bishop have you read Anthony Doer's All the Light We Can Not See? After that book, heck yes WW2 France! Imagine working at the Louvre and trying to hide masterpieces from the nazis. The opportunity to wax lyrical about cultural artifacts on the backdrop of war... -wipes drool from chin-

I 100% am for any trade based port city historical RP. The culture is always diverse and rich and facisinating

47 minutes ago, Elena said:

I would like to see:

1. More Viking-Age sites

Ditto. Their trade routes were so surprisingly expansive. 

I think WW1 would be interesting too. It was such a stupid war and the advances in biochemical warfare were horrifying

• I read this! 3
  • Agree 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

@Kit the Human No but it is on my list. My inspiration came from The Nightingale though by Kristin Hannah and it moved me to tears. It is about the French Resistance and it is beautiful. The author had this amazing way of making you look at WWII from the inside out. When one of the characters was standing in her garden watching the crowds of people who were running from Paris towards the free zone, and how her home was billeted by German soldiers. It was amazing and just made me want in that time-frame.

I have to admit that this little private Prague project has been a fun Christmas break venture! We're playing as the children of our current characters on Memento Mori. It is more of a school based setting and kind of the YA version of our darker SLs and it is life.

It wasn't a thing that I really thought I wanted until we were finding information for Russia (and of course Venice) and the Cathedral of Bones came across my screen. For the better part of the year I've sat on it and during a voice call we started goofing around and now this super small group is ass deep in the love of it.

And as far as trade ports go, I have to say that was half the reason why I chose Venice when moving from my own Age of Sail site. I wanted something that we could continue our Trade Wars and the transition was flawless, but now we also have the East India Company as well the very end (or beginning depending on what direction you are going) of the Silk Road (in its decline years, before the boom again in the 1960's) but still a lot of fun. Then you also have the Germans/Jews/Turks/Italians as well all the French nobles on the run. Gah. I'm in love can you tell?

• Love 2

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

Port cities were absolutely fascinating, yeees. I have to admit, though, I've been musing on how to make historical RPs set farther inland just as fascinating.

Going back on the Age of Sails, I was watching this tv show with my stepdaughter last night. Well, between two to four am. Anyway! It's called Secrets of the Underground or something like that. There were a bunch of episodes that really shouldn't have given me more historical ideas but what are ya gonna do, right? 

The Age of Sails episode hit on Port Royal and talked about Captain Morgan. It described more discoveries about Port Royal. I didn't take notes, sadly, because they brought up other topics relating to this that I thought would be incredible for play. Most of the island is made up of limestone formations is one thing I remember. Most of the entries or caches appeared to be small crevices in the ground, mostly hidden by brush, but once you wiggled inside, you found yourself standing in a much larger cave and there were tunnels that led everywhere from Captain Morgan's estate.

Another one would be probably considered speculative historical fiction. Atlantis. xD Bear with me here! These guys made a connection from the lost city of Atlantis to Native Americans near Michigan. It also appeared to be that there was an entire lost civilisation spanning the North America continent predating Acropolis and Greek culture. They found copper mines and pits near one of the lakes up there that could have very well contributed to the shining splendour that was Atlantis. So, this lost civilisation was based in North America, even potentially predating Native Americans. They had advanced armies and workers that mined these veins. It's super hard work teasing copper out of the rocks, and since they may have contributed thousand pounds of copper, the possibility of how big and advanced this civilisation was is overwhelming. Not to mention, they traded. These items made out of copper made it down Mississippi river and out to the ocean where European traders took the items and brought it back to Europe with wild, fanciful stories of Atlantis.

• I read this! 2

300x80AdBanner.png

home sweet home.

be geeky with me!

Throwing this in here, too, because this sparked discussion in my group's discord. These are their ideas/commentaries:

• There's not enough WWII RPs.
  • Would love a 50s RP. Maybe even 1950s London, Kray Twins era.
  • Golden Age AU with steampunk, from NY and down the Eastern Coast.
  • ...the rest of the chat devolved into zombies. Nevermind. xD Two words: Zombie popsicles.
  • Preach it! 1

300x80AdBanner.png

home sweet home.

be geeky with me!

• 2 months later...