Villains or Heroes?

Jax

I am curious to see! As a player, do you enjoy playing the hero or the villain more? And why is that? I know that a lot of well developed characters live in a grey area, but overall there is a general feel to them that swings them one way or the other. 

COLbanner.jpg.4418a16d1a463874b97fda81b0cf6df6.jpgTSLbanner.jpg.ebc7ea223ad9135f2955657a3b0c3e71.jpg

LHbanner.jpg.0654d6e14d70207faa7460bb5a7326d0.jpgBRbanner.jpg.80123b100a263f402fc861a3202e595b.jpg

Most of the time, I play what I'd consider to be honourable (hero characters) but that doesn't mean that they don't have flaws and conflicts with other 'hero' characters. None of my dwarves for instance, are overly fond of elves (except for one or two characters that they like and get on with.) I don't tend to go for overt villains though as I don't have the muse for them.

• Agree 1

I've never thought to classify my characters in this manner, and now I'm wracking my brain to figure out which character fits in where.

I'd have to go with hero, I guess. I don't really have any true heroes, but the antagonists I have are not villainous enough to be considered villains by any means.

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

WoL___dark01.png

• Operations Mod

In the sense of black and white Marvel-verse type hero/villain dynamics where the villain knows they're the villain then I prefer the latter as they're more stimulating imo. In these settings villains usually have complex motivations. Heroes typically operate on "its good because its good and I'm a sheep" where villains typically have more complex histories and motivations - they're not just on the "I'm evil ergo I do evil just because its evil". That said in general I avoid pretty much any setting that tries to paint good and evil like there's really some kind of definitive line between them. 

With more realistic settings flush with gray tones, its a little harder to pin down. Based on the common perception of morality, a lot of people would probably insist my characters have an evil/villainous skew more often than not. Now, I do love playing the bad guys - but no one believes they're the villain, and neither do my "bad guys". 

• Fuck Yeah! 1
  • Love 2

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

I like playing the villain, because I like destroying things (in character!).

@Icewolf I think that is just good writing, though. Perfect characters who never fail are boring

@Uaithne I have a hard time sometimes, too, at least when I am writing on my own (like one shots or working on my novel.) Whenever I am writing, none of my characters see themselves as the villain or the hero...

@SithLordOfSnark well, with your username and icon... XD

2 hours ago, Dragon said:

but no one believes they're the villain, and neither do my "bad guys"

@Dragon I feel exactly this!

@firefly It so cathartic!

COLbanner.jpg.4418a16d1a463874b97fda81b0cf6df6.jpgTSLbanner.jpg.ebc7ea223ad9135f2955657a3b0c3e71.jpg

LHbanner.jpg.0654d6e14d70207faa7460bb5a7326d0.jpgBRbanner.jpg.80123b100a263f402fc861a3202e595b.jpg

My favourite is always the "villain doing bad things for the greater good". 

Or the "good guy doing what they think is right, and turns out being so terribly wrong".

I play both sides of the field, 'cause I'm cool like that (I am so not cool), but I like to twist it to avoid ye olde moustache-twirling badness.

[Image: oZwmoj.png]
the australian potterverse | we're back in black

I...stick to the grey area- Mainly because some of my OC characters have played both hero AND villain without the character itself being changed. 

• I read this! 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

I LOVE playing villains, assholes, and mean girls. My current favorite characters include an abusive serial killer, a twenty-year-old prostitute with a quick tongue who tries to pull everyone down to his level, and an anorexic teenager who doesn't know how to deal with her negative emotions aside from lashing out at people.

Edit: as a note, because I've seen some people mention it, I prefer to play tragic villains, as opposed to outright evil, or people who are in the grey area and definitely aren't heroes, but aren't really villains either. A few of my villains are outright villainous, though! (Like my stalker vampire)

Edited by Raven
  • I read this! 1

Guest BETA BLUE

It depends on the character.

I'm playing Hero Harley at the beginning of that career and it's fun because she's always at a crossroad. 

It's also fun playing the villain, plotting out massive ideas that can get balls rolling and flipping people's minds. 

Mostly heroes and anti-heroes.

• I read this! 1

I flip flop horribly. One of my best buddies/writing partners jokes that I play two kinds of characters "sweet, innocent flower" and "raging psychopath". o_o; The grey area are probably my favorite, though. (Especially, people who are just everyday people, just kind of trying to make it through)

Edited by Thyme
  • I read this! 1
tumblr_ovxhy4cZLY1wtsmmno3_r1_100.jpg

Guest BETA BLUE

What's also fun is making a hero go bad and working through the aftermath.  

4 hours ago, BETA BLUE said:

What's also fun is making a hero go bad and working through the aftermath.  

This is literally one of my favorite things to play!

Some of my most favorite threads have been with villains, but I more consistently play anti-heroes, and usually more swayed by villainy. 

I also love villain versus villain threads. Somehow on GAM we ended up with far more villains! I think it's fun because both people are bad and may not hold back. 

pVV8ahF.png8rS34YE.png