Weird shit of Roleplays

Uaithne

What weird things have you come across in a roleplay? (As staff, member, guest, etc.)

I had a member whose character's PB was a Caucasian female with bright red hair. Think stereotypical Irish. Because the character was a site wanted, the member came to me after awhile of playing the character and asked if she could change the PB. I asked her who she had in mind, and her choice was Zendaya. I was like, "Whut?" Right age. Right gender. Completely different race. I mean, it's not like she went from one similar skin color to another; she wanted to change the red-headed pasty-skinned girl to a black kid. Then she said that she would lighten Zendaya's skin color in Photoshop so that it would match the original PB.

I still laugh every time I think about it. I denied the request, of course. I didn't want a dramatic change in the look of the character which is why I asked to begin with, but I certainly wasn't prepared for that answer. Make the white kid black, then change the black skin color to white manually. (In fairness, I can see that maybe the new PB had facial features or hair styles or clothing that the member preferred over the existing PB.)

• I read this! 3
  • LOL 2

WoL___dark01.png

Every now and then I have to explain to someone that they can't use a photoshopped picture of themselves for their face claim.

Just throw a picture of yourself out there with s bunch of strangers. Sure, that's a great idea. Nevermind that you would also be putting your real full name on the claim list... (Which they have offered to do btw.)

• I read this! 1
  • Cheers 1

@Rune why is it forbidden? I understand not using your neighbor's pic, but what if I knowingly decide to show my face to a bunch of strangers? People post their pics everywhere all the time, wise or not I would not say an RP board is more dangerous than any other place. The one issue I see is with blurring the lines between IC and OOC, but that's not automatic.

• I read this! 2

UNMASQUED

Vampires are real. Now the world knows about them.

1 hour ago, featherstone said:

@Rune why is it forbidden? I understand not using your neighbor's pic, but what if I knowingly decide to show my face to a bunch of strangers? People post their pics everywhere all the time, wise or not I would not say an RP board is more dangerous than any other place. The one issue I see is with blurring the lines between IC and OOC, but that's not automatic.

That's exactly why. There is way too much risk involved there. 

Ther'es the risk of lines blurring, there's the risk of some nutjob stalking this person and them expecting you to magically handle it, there's the potential for so much to go wrong (and I've experienced most of it!)  I've had people own up to their self insert characters and promptly attract the attention of creepy people that I was suddenly responsible for handling because they are both under my roof. (Yes, banning the person, blah blah blah. It's old news.)

That and, honestly, I don't WANT to RP my character with YOU. I want to RP with YOUR CHARACTER. Not you masquerading as your character.

Plus, then there's the connection of "Here's my full name! AND my picture!" out there that just made it SO MUCH EASIER for assholes to do their thing. And, guess what! They met on your site! Bet'cha feel just GRAND!

@Dusty - I won't allow it on OOC accounts either. But that's mostly because the only time I've ran into this is when it's someone that goes straight from "I just joined!" to "Let me tell you everything about myself!" and makes me put on the brakes pretty fast. There's a difference between people that have gotten to know one another and have some sort of relationship to play off of and Johnny Just Joined that's trying to force their way into friendship. 

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 1
  • Fuck Yeah! 1
  • Love 1

I will admit, I get a touch weirded out when applications fall on my desk that reference setting history in a way that... did this person sit down and study the topics? It is equally heck-awesome, but then I worry that they felt they had to read all the excess drivel, but also they've incorporated it so beautifully into the application it's glorious.

A good weird that one.

To follow up on using your own pic as a PB -- I don't allow it. Partly for the personal safety of the member, but also because I can't verify that is their picture. I don't know that's not someone else's picture they've nabbed off Insta or Facebook, all I know is the pictures and names I've been given. As someone who has had her FB pictures copied and uploaded to a new account with a different name (for what purpose, I don't know and don't want to know---the account got shut down, I can only hope it was to be used as a PB!), I keep my PB rules to faces that have photos available in the professional space -- so those with listings on IMDB, model sites, etc.

• I read this! 3
  • Agree 2

[Image: oZwmoj.png]
the australian potterverse | we're back in black

I've had a woman want to urge her own picture (if it was true) and when I said no. She went on about how it was because she was pretty than everybody, etc.

• LOL 1

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

20 minutes ago, Gothic said:

I've had a woman want to urge her own picture (if it was true) and when I said no. She went on about how it was because she was pretty than everybody, etc.

Would've been way too tempted to reply with a picture of my hotness giving them the finger. 

• I read this! 2
  • LOL 2
  • Preach it! 1

She acted as though I said the worst possible thing to her, lol. 

Another one was when a player had a tantrum  after being told to stop her negative behaviour and said she earned fix figures, and how well known she was in the RP community. She got the banhammer. 

• Agree 1
  • LOL 2

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

Speaking of weird shit, did someone edit my topic title to replace the asterisks I originally had with the word "shit"?

XD

• LOL 1

WoL___dark01.png

22 hours ago, Uaithne said:

Speaking of weird shit, did someone edit my topic title to replace the asterisks I originally had with the word "shit"?

XD

Oh how I wish I could say it was me.

• LOL 1

In line with the using their own face (Which wtaf this has never happen to me in all my years on any of my sites so that is like weird and shocking to me.) I have had new people who just start posting things in the chat box about their lives that no one needs to know, particularly not a group of strangers on a site you just joined.

Or when members do that thing where you're having a regular random conversation in chat and they always try to direct it back to them, like you're talking with members about the site, or characters, or whatever and they just pop in with 'one time I almost died' .... and they're shutting down the conversation with their random, awkward statements that they're trying to direct back to themselves. It astounds me still. 

• Agree 1

I've never had anybody ask to use their own picture, but seeing you guys discuss the topic, I have to ask about a loophole:  If I'm COSPLAYING my own character, could I use that? 😜  I thought of it only because several years ago I dressed up as one of my demon characters for Halloween: fake pointy ears, hair cut short and dyed grass green, molded fangs, makeup - barely looked anything like myself XD

• I read this! 2

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

Something else weird to me: some stalker coming from a previous site. Coming everyday many times a day, checking on the new site, but never joining, never leaving a message or anything. They blocked everyone on the other means to join them so it conflicts with the idea they might want to be part of the new site. They check member profiles and the member directory.

I have no clue what they want, if they are just curious or are filled with negative emotions.

I'm not angry or anything, it's just puzzling. I don't have a mean to reach out to them either, and I'm not sure it's worth reaching out. It's like having a ghost that never touches anything or make any noise, they just float around or something

oUIk3c.gif
Devil's Tattoo - Clan politics, bikers, urban legends, cougars, wolves, coyotes, badgers and more... 
Plenty of canons available, and OC are more than welcomed as well

I've come to find cosplay itself to be a bit weird, but this is probably partly down to my age (when I was a teenager, in my early teens, not many people did it) and down to some of the strange people I've come across who rp and cosplay. (This is not meant to offend anyone on here, though, as no one on here has given me reason to feel weird about it.) But I know of one person who made lots of accounts as a certain canon character and then cosplayed that character, too. Almost all the photos they post of themselves are them as that character and they even refereed to themselves as that character when they're OOC. I also knew of one person who blurred the lines between themselves and the character they played so much that they talked about themselves in RL as though the characters their character was in a relationship with existed in RL, so their account went from being an rp account to something that resembled a strange fan account that was a rp hybrid.