Weird shit of Roleplays

Uaithne

On 6/19/2018 at 4:55 PM, August said:

Right behind that would be Justin Beiber...I make no exaggeration, from the faceclaim the lifestyle to the birthday, for a time we had Justin Beiber despite trying to explain why they couldn't do that. Why he was in a small Vermont town I guess we'll never know

Oh, that was me.

I had just read about his latest ...ungentlemanly ways... and I was really livid at his lack of direspect for others and human life in general. And I'd just heard about a style of anime series where the writers take nice characters and make their lives living hell. I thought it was gold, I thought it was perfect. I carefully inserted self flaws that would lead the character onto utter and complete failure, I think I also tried to elaborate in  his profile about how he thought of his life and himself as so very perfect but how it wasn't.

It never occurred to me how other people would react. They were livid. They were as livid as I was. I think that they thought that I was a fanboy or fanboy worshipper at first but then the staff explained that people were so angry that even the thought of him as a character had put the whole site into a complete uproar. 

I really had to hand it to the staff for the way they handled the situation and finally got me to understand because I was not getting it at first. I thought that everyone shared my vehemence and that we would all punish this character happily together....

Erm, no. Anywho, so that didn't work out. I apologized. I think? I hope? And I took my leave, completely embarrassed at my oversight and how I had basically unintentionally upset an entire site that I actually really liked. 

zootopia.gif

A relaxed, dark and gritty roleplay based on Disney's Zootopia. 

Those people who are so obsessed with the celeb/PB that they don't seem to see the character. I've had countless people over the years wanting to set our characters up romantically because they fancy the PB I've picked... That's great and all but I'm not forcing a romantic relationship between two characters who might not know each other, may not have anything in common or simply don't like each other. Similarly, people who'll only have romantic relationships with characters who have a PB from the same show/movie, that's just weird... I don't understand it. Just coz I'm using Bradley James does not mean I want to be your BFF random Colin Morgan PB. ¬.¬

• Like 1
  • Preach it! 1

vzcOoJ.png

56 minutes ago, Maleficent said:

Those people who are so obsessed with the celeb/PB that they don't seem to see the character. I've had countless people over the years wanting to set our characters up romantically because they fancy the PB I've picked... That's great and all but I'm not forcing a romantic relationship between two characters who might not know each other, may not have anything in common or simply don't like each other. Similarly, people who'll only have romantic relationships with characters who have a PB from the same show/movie, that's just weird... I don't understand it. Just coz I'm using Bradley James does not mean I want to be your BFF random Colin Morgan PB. ¬.¬

Oh boy! I've seen that many times through the years, and happening not only to me but a variety of other innocent and confused players only just wanting to play a FC in peace! 😄

I guess it is possible and allowed and it is not automatically bad rp to take inspiration from something the FC is or was in. In fact, aside from maybe just liking the source for itself and for the FC, rp-wise, it can be really good to build yourself some mental archive of how the face and voice and body language can look like when the FC is emoting them, or give interesting quirks or plotlines. And I guess some reminder of fictive relationships the FC was involved in can be a tongue in cheek reference, or something to share between two consenting players.

But there is a line, and that line once crossed gives you people so obsessed for the FC's character that they are not doing this for the sake of playing nor in respect of the other players anymore. Like when they don't care what you think and how you play, but only care for their desires for the FC. Especially if the suggested relationship shows they did not bother to check on what your character is played like, nor on anything you said or wrote. They just saw your avatar and that was it.

Sure, they can ask in case the player with the FC would want pairings too. But if you are not interested and would not want to share that or participate, and they still insist or try to convince you, it sort of turns to bad rp ethic from them. Because at this point, these folks end up only wanting to use your time, your work, and your character to give them new material to drool over, like trying to have you do some unpaid romance/smut short story commission you don't care for. 

I had once someone I never met before trying to convince me to use a character of mine to play out with them a non-canon fandom-born relationship from something my FC was in, the stranger not caring if my character was on polar opposite when relationships were involved 😄 I wanted to tell them to go read or write fanfiction instead 😛

• Agree 1
oUIk3c.gif
Devil's Tattoo - Clan politics, bikers, urban legends, cougars, wolves, coyotes, badgers and more... 
Plenty of canons available, and OC are more than welcomed as well

• 4 weeks later...

People say one shouldn't name the character after the playby, neither after the character the playby had represented in a movie (and inspired you). So I have a character named Leonardo... and it respects the rule, still I have cheated it - because the character George Chakiris had played in "West Side Story" was Nardo... from Bernardo.. . (Now, this NPC is a pirate master's mate from 200+years before the other Nardo... and no similar personality traits).

It makes me a little uncomfortable when people choose a PB (so far so good) and then put up want ads for their family and lover, but the suggested PBs for all of these characters are ... the actors/actresses that played such relationships to the original character in the movie/tv show.

I'm left sitting there and scratching my head, wondering if the person is just super lazy when it comes to finding PBs or if they're trying to recreate THAT character rather than their own one??

• Agree 2

rsz_nightborn_signature.png.49b292d20e17d3c29707bfecdb8bb800.png

Lol one of the weirdest things that's happened to me during RP was on one site that I was a member of for about 3 years (until I realized the genre wasn't good for me anymore)

Anywho, on this site, we had a Mod and that said mod had one of her friends brought over to the site. So everything was great until that friend wanted to be on staff. She was known to accuse people of things, get angry over tiny things, etc. Well, staff applications come around, she applies: doesn't get the job because of how she acts towards other members and other reasons. Well, she gets angry, accuses the Mod friend of discrimination and whatnot, and is just absolutely rude to her.

So Mod chick decides "Hey I'm gonna step away from this" and gives the situation to the other staff. The other staff calms her down, and then she goes back to talking with Mod chick. Then the member tells the Mod uncomfortable things/harasses her. Stuff that made her very uncomfortable. The member is banned (this wasn't the first time she's harassed a member and staff was done with it). 

Mod later decides to plead her friends case, and friend comes back. Time goes by, no problems, and I and this member talk (we had some characters that were involved in a plot together) and I tried to be a good friend to her because she's in a rough spot. She starts talking about suicide and I gently tell her about the suicide hotline and what not, but she continues and I tell her that I wasn't comfortable with the topic (I have lost a friend to suicide in the past, so I was way uncomfortable) and she wouldn't stop talking about it, so I went to the head admin (I trusted her a lot) and the situation was taken care of.

That person then proceeds to say that she wished I would die because I told a staff member I was uncomfortable about a topic that was very sensitive to me and she wouldn't stop talking about it and then said she wished the rest of the staff would die.

Safe to say, she has been banned permanently lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rivfader said:

It makes me a little uncomfortable when people choose a PB (so far so good) and then put up want ads for their family and lover, but the suggested PBs for all of these characters are ... the actors/actresses that played such relationships to the original character in the movie/tv show.

I'm left sitting there and scratching my head, wondering if the person is just super lazy when it comes to finding PBs or if they're trying to recreate THAT character rather than their own one??

I have done it sometimes, and it ends to having images together. Sometimes it is good for inspiration. Sometimes I do it, sometimes not. Couples I had chosen the playby of the movies partners?

- Erroll Flynn and Olivia de Havilland - in my case, a privateer master gunner and a widow seamstress

- Fernando Colunga and Susana Gonzalez - in my case, a mercenary and a baroness who hired him to kill her husband.

I think I have had, in the past, 1-2 such couples more, but I forgot exactly whom.

I agree, however, that it is strange if they replicate identically the dynamic from the movie.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Elena said:

I have done it sometimes, and it ends to having images together. Sometimes it is good for inspiration. Sometimes I do it, sometimes not. Couples I had chosen the playby of the movies partners?

- Erroll Flynn and Olivia de Havilland - in my case, a privateer master gunner and a widow seamstress

- Fernando Colunga and Susana Gonzalez - in my case, a mercenary and a baroness who hired him to kill her husband.

I think I have had, in the past, 1-2 such couples more, but I forgot exactly whom.

I agree, however, that it is strange if they replicate identically the dynamic from the movie.

Oh for sure! I don't really see a problem with just couples from movies/tv shows if you like having the images together and all that, but imo it gets a bit weird when you replicate the entire dynamic or cast from the movie. Especially really popular shows like Vikings, GOT, etc. Like c'mon guys, there are way more cool PBs to choose from than those super overused ones.

• Agree 2

rsz_nightborn_signature.png.49b292d20e17d3c29707bfecdb8bb800.png

• 1 month later...

A decade ago, I got involved in my first ever roleplay. It was on Facebook and was a small group of us all playing personalities from the court of King Henry VIII ( mid-Tudor period). I'm a massive history nerd, so this was heaven for me. Loved it. But, as you can imagine, it's a bit of a niche market.

However, back then, the TV show "The Tudors" - all about ol'Henry and his six wives - had just begun airing and it became really popular. Before too long, another group popped up on Facebook and they were roleplaying the TV show.  So, we all added their accounts to ours and we soon got chatting and became friendly. 

The admin team on the other group was four people (two married couples). The regular members were friends of theirs and others they'd picked up from recruitment groups. Besides other characters, each of their accounts had a lot of real people added. They told us these randos were their "fans": people who just liked to read their threads even though they weren't part of the group. These randoms always "liked" every post a character made and, rarely (but annoyingly), interjected in character threads with comments/observations. Now, there's some dedicated "fans" right there!

It was bizarre, but we let it slide. They helped us out by taking roles in our group and we happily returned the favour. Occasionally, when we took roles with them, they would just give us the logins for pre-existing accounts. That was kind of them (or so we thought), but those accounts had all the random real life people already added. Can't forget the fans now, can we?

Anywho, I took another role with them and they gave me the logins. However, by this time, several Tudor related role play groups had sprung up on FB and it was getting harder and harder to tell who was who. So, I decided to tidy up the friends list and reduced it to members of our two groups only. All the randos and all the other character accounts were unfriended. No sooner had I done this, I get a really angry message from one of the male admins. He was furious that I had insulted their fans and demanded that I re-add them immediately. He swore a lot, he typed with caps lock on.

I'm not really the type of person to tolerate being spoken to like that. So I told him to fuck off and closed the account down. As soon as that happens, I get a message from one of the women admins who immediately starts smoothing things over. She assures me that she's going to "go through admin X  like a dose of salts". I reluctantly let this go, but I didn't take the character and I began to distance myself from the other group. Until this point, there had been talk of our groups merging to form one big group. We declined because we're a historical group and they were, literally, recreating every scene from a TV show. But this ugly incident put paid to any merger we might have otherwise considered. 

Even before this incident, there had been other red flag moments.  One of the female admins introduced herself to me as "Alison". A few months later, she told me her name was "Meg". Being naive, I put it down to my own faulty memory. Then, one of the girls who played a small role in the other group took a big role in our group. The male admin (the same one who later blew his top at me) messaged her and pressured her into dropping that big role, saying he feared it would be "too much" for her. He actually told her he was acting out of concern for her well being! Lo and behold, as soon as the girl dropped that character (despite us trying to tell her she'd be just fine) one of the female admins of the other group "selflessly" stepped in to take the role instead (it was Anne Boleyn and Tudor fans will know that is a big, and highly coveted, role). 

They had a character account (using the name of a well known Tudor courtier) but he wasn't a playing character. He posted random statuses stating Historical facts. He claimed to be a PhD student at the University of Durham. But some of the "facts" he was posting were utter bullshit (and some  in our group actually did study History at degree level - me being one of them). A few of these "facts" were even lifted directly from the TV show and had been invented for the purposes of the TV show. 

Absolutely nothing about this other group added up until we heard from someone who used to write for them. Meg/Alison/whatever her name was once told me about a person she'd invited onto her admit team only for this person to betray her. Eventually, this person got in touch with us and told us what really happened. Yes, she was invited onto the admin team, but was strongly advised to pretend to be male. Because no one ever messes with males. Furthermore, not only were the two male admins one person, the other female was also a sock. They had fake real profiles, all furnished with stolen photographs. Someone was even able, through some trickery or other, to locate one of the men who'd had their images stolen. Another was a stock image model, or something like that. The real frightening thing, for me, was that one of these "married" couples had kids. And there was pictures of some kids on their "real life" profile. I dread to think where they were stolen from.

Needless to say, the "fans" were also sock accounts. There were dozens of them. A whole network of socks and fake profiles all over the place. We think she was using them to just spy and watch over what everyone else was doing without us knowing about it. Occasionally she'd message us on these accounts and ask us what we thought of the group, characters, storylines, etc. In hindsight, I can see she was trying to catch us out. One messaged me saying she was a young mum who liked reading the threads while breastfeeding her kid. I mean, WTF!? 

We challenged the person who ran all these socks. There was a huge argument with a lot of name-calling and mud-slinging. We broke off all contact with her/them. What few real people she had in her group came over to our group. The fake group was decimated, but this person carried on. She carried on pretending to be all these numerous different people and sucking in new victims (until we messaged them to warn them what was going on). Most thought we were crazy shit-stirrers and joined that crazy group anyway. Until the same thing happened again and crazy admin's cover was once more blown. 

She tried to fake her way back into our group several times, but she always blew her own cover pretty quickly. Then, after another huge blow up where her new players found out about her sock-puppeteering ways, she just poofed. Gone. Never to be seen again. I like to think she has a life of her own now.

Apologies for this being so excessively long. But I've rarely talked about it since it happened and it's something that comes back to me often. This was my first ever role play group and it nearly put me off for life. 

New_Project_1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I find it highly weird people who get EXTREMELY offended by someone else’s character having their characters name, even if it is spelled differently. Last time I checked the world was full of people with my name, probably your name, even their name. It happens. I also find it weird for people to deny characters with similar names because of that purpose. Personally I’d think it cool to have another, for example my character, Lenora running around. What is the other Lenora doing running around? What if characters in story get the two Lenora stories mixed up. Like that’s character interaction there “I thought you were the one that stabbed Penny and ended up in prison for 2 years?” ... “Nope must have been a different Lenora”.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Preach it! 2

wcc_aff_one.png.ee644d7c84e4471ab7231d79aa59872c.png freerphostaffbutton.png.2c941043f4d1bcb22ada2b22d3e60dfc.png myrpg-affiliate.png.5453a73021a9354b5b772ac4e15f7ef9.png

• 4 months later...

Ok. Where do I start? I have quite a few interesting ones. Names changed to protect the innocent.

1. On a supernatural site I was a mod on, we had a member named Susan. Well, Susan had an app up and the admins reached out to me and asked me to read it because neither of them could get through it because of triggers. They were also really sensitive [one couldn't handle even mentions of blood in RPs] so I said okay and I read over the app. Well, not even a paragraph into the app there is cannibalism, patricide, genocide and Nazis. Like GRATUITOUS amounts of description too. We ask Susan to redo her app/character. Susan complies and gets accepted. Then Susan's character began to try to violate every other male character. Needless to say, she was warned repeatedly then banned. 

2. Same site. Different member named Lucy. Lucy wanted a romance plot with my character. My character was gay so I kept saying no. So after I kept it strictly platonic, she had her "roommate" Bob join the site. Bob played a gay male who was my character's boss. Bob began to ICly seduce my character which was okay. But EVERY time our characters would be in a smut scene, Bob would mention Lucy's character. Like "Isn't Rose so hot? You could totally bang her!" and all this weird stuff. To make it weirder, Lucy and Bob were never on at the same time. Lucy claimed she worked so she would log on from work and like right after her break ended, she would leave and Bob would log on. Then Bob would have to go to his job and Lucy would come back on saying she just got home. I got suspicious and looked at the IPs. SAME EXACT IP. Even when Lucy and Bob were supposedly in separate locations. I'm pretty sure Lucy pretended to be Bob....

3. Had someone who refused to accept my version of Marcus Flint on a HP site was in a relationship with another character and would CONSTANTLY try to ICly [without permission from either me or the other person] break Flint and the other character up. 

4. Same HP site. Same member. Her character posted an open thread where she was about to be assaulted. One of my characters rescued her. Not even 5 posts into the thread, she is trying to seduce my character and get him into bed. Refused to listen IC and OOC when me and my character informed her that he was gay. Also, wasn't she just assaulted? So why is her character suddenly "in the mood"? 

5. Different site. Here is a reenactment of what happens every day in discord. Member will be known as Phil. Phil complains that no one wants to RP with him. Numerous members offer to RP. Phil declines every offer with a different excuse. Proceeds to say no one likes him and complains about how his life sucks. Then does the same thing....every single day. 

• Cringe 2

On 2/14/2019 at 2:18 AM, Jiro said:

5. Different site. Here is a reenactment of what happens every day in discord. Member will be known as Phil. Phil complains that no one wants to RP with him. Numerous members offer to RP. Phil declines every offer with a different excuse. Proceeds to say no one likes him and complains about how his life sucks. Then does the same thing....every single day. 

I swear I've met this person before! Or at least one very much like them. I mean word for word like them. They would complain in the chat every day that no one liked them, then snark at people or blow them off when folks asked to RP. I once sent them a message asking if everything was okay during one of these moments and got a 'Leave. Me. The.  F**k. Alone.' Then they later complained that no one ever reached out when they were in turmoil. I just don't get it!

I've had someone join and not actually know what role-playing was...Which still confuses me to this day. I'd regularly get questions from him going, "So does I have to write things?" "How do I get money?Oh I have to write it, but that would take so long" "There's so much to read."  This was in my Admining early days so I ended up walking him through joining, I don't think I'd have the patience to do it any more. 

On 2/15/2019 at 6:06 PM, Foxypaws said:

I swear I've met this person before! Or at least one very much like them. I mean word for word like them. They would complain in the chat every day that no one liked them, then snark at people or blow them off when folks asked to RP. I once sent them a message asking if everything was okay during one of these moments and got a 'Leave. Me. The.  F**k. Alone.' Then they later complained that no one ever reached out when they were in turmoil. I just don't get it!

Omg. Sounds just like the one I've dealt with. He's also snitched on a few people and gotten them banned from discord because they "triggered him".

On 2/16/2019 at 12:14 AM, blinkster said:

I've had someone join and not actually know what role-playing was...Which still confuses me to this day. I'd regularly get questions from him going, "So does I have to write things?" "How do I get money?Oh I have to write it, but that would take so long" "There's so much to read."  This was in my Admining early days so I ended up walking him through joining, I don't think I'd have the patience to do it any more. 

Sounds like someone who came onto the site I'm on, asked if someone could explain the rules, etc. then when given the link to the rules and all that went "I don't like reading. Can someone break it down for me." One of the mods very bluntly told the person that if they didn't like reading, maybe they shouldn't be roleplaying.

• LOL 4