Shipper apps?

featherstone

For my next site, I was thinking to give shipper apps a try. Because traditional app + plotter sounds redundant, and while I love profile apps, I'd like to have a "first post to approve before sorting" (part of my battle against the spam flood -.-). Also it's cool to try different things.

However, admittedly I don't have much experience with then, so I'm asking you, do you think they must have any special requirement, besides "this is my character, please plot with me"?

Are they supposed to be short, to have friends and enemies, anything specific? TBH I don't like the "friends and enemies" thing, and I wouldn't enforce a length or a limit, what I want is just to keep all character information organized in one thread... Sounds right to you?

UNMASQUED

Vampires are real. Now the world knows about them.

I personally wouldn't use them because I don't want my members to think that rp is only about shipping characters, so I'll stick with the app and plotter myself. Do they promote cliques and the feeling of members being left out if they have the only characters around with no characters listed? How would you go about adding characters to the list? I've noticed sometimes on twitter people randomly add other people to their lists as 'brothers' 'sisters' 'parents' etc, without asking the person they've added and then that person gets upset about it. (I do think they'd be useful on a social media type site where there might be different versions of the same character, but on a forum, I don't think they are needed.)

@Icewolf good point. I think the name is part of the problem. TBH RP is all about interactions, but not all interactions are ships. I typically use plotters to find casual friends, adventure mates, someone a detective character could ask questions to, etc. Doing it under your app doesn't switch the focus on hooking up, or does it? Any way to merge app and (non-tindery) plotter in a way that looks right?

UNMASQUED

Vampires are real. Now the world knows about them.

Plotter apps are without a doubt my favourite! If I'm going to write an app, it's cool that at least I don't have to write a plotter too. 

I think the only really important thing about plotter apps is to keep in mind that they have to be different from normal apps, as in you really don't want them to have a huge amount of information. You need to have everything people need to know to plot with a character quickly accessible, so something like a short "biography" and "plot ideas" sections should really be the focus of it. Most players won't want to go through a thousand words on character's history before plotting with them, so that kind of information, if you want a place for it, should probably be somewhere where it doesn't look overwhelming (like a different tab, or in a "character development" forum?) . 

• I read this! 4

Guest BETA BLUE

I have found that plotter apps work great when it comes to a site like Real Life, Some Supernatural, ect. When it comes to Superhero and similar they don't work as well. I would say do try it, your members may love it or hate it. I know people that love it because they get everything done in one. I know people that don't like because everything is uniform and it bars their creativity.  Really, I would add it at first, see how well it works and then if it doesn't work out, you can always change things. 

Hmm.  I have never used a shipper app as either a member or an admin, though I get the desire for having everything in one place.

If I had a shipper app, I'd want to see some good information about the character.  Sure, I don't want to slog through 1,000 words of history, but I don't want to just know a few bullet points of information, either.  The good thing about having the shipper and app separately is that if the shipper doesn't have enough information, you can return to the application to find more details that are needed.

I also agree that if somebody doesn't get a lot of attention for their character, it becomes pretty obvious pretty quickly.

Edited by Uaithne
  • I read this! 4

WoL___dark01.png

If this was something that I wanted to do, I'd first name it a plotter app to shift the focus from ships to plots (good name y'all) and then I'd have two sections.

1)  Brief description of your character. The high points of their life. What they're doing now and where they're commonly found. Is there anything that is well known about your character by those who work with them? etc.

2) What kind of plots do you want with this character? If you're struggling with this section, try thinking about what your character's goals and fears are.

Hopefully between the two, you ought to get a good idea as to who a character is and ideas for actual plots or threads.

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1
  • Love 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png