What interesting stuff have you researched and learned?

Kit the Human

One of my favourite things about historical RPs is everyone nerding out about the things they have discovered and the kinds of ideas it's spawned.

So here we go! A space to nerd out about what you have learned recently.

I've been doing research into French peasants in the late 17th century. I er, did not quite appreciate how poor they were! Which is great to be honest, kind of strengthens my motivation for this character but still. Dang. It's really fascinating when you contrast that with France so recently being the so called cultural capital of Europe.

So what sort of thing have you been researching and learning?

• I read this! 2
  • Love 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

• 4 weeks later...

Lots of things related to seafaring, to XVIII-th century, to XI-th century, to Napoleonic Era, to Louisiana Purchase and growing of USA/ Saint Louis area. Bullfighters and bullfights. Guilds. Lots of fascinating things!

• I read this! 1

Stop teasing @Elena! Give us an interesting tidbit :P

Apparently, seamen's pay (in the navy) was stuck at 19 shillings a month for ordinary seamen and 24 shillings for able one's for over a hundred years. Never shall I ever bitch about wage growth again. (Seamen on a merchant ship could expect much more a month.)

• I read this! 2

You can also find me at:

I've gotten two new books on women in antiquity and women writers in Greece and Rome. Along with a book on Christianity in the late Roman Empire so I should be learning more about those things. 

For Roman things. There were communal toilets and no-one thought it was strange. Usually they had graffiti on and around them. Aaaand you bought a sponge to wipe your butt. I've also read you rented it and gave it back. 

• I read this! 1
  • Love 1

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

• 1 month later...

Ooh, postings about historical research things! My kermit flail for this topic is strong. I am doing it even now!  One of my favorite things about the historical genre is that it encourages us, as players, creators, writers, and curiosity seekers to never stop learning. I find what I self-study has been even more interesting than initial subjects that were touched on in public school or various college classes.

I have been studying the culture of Hyderabad, and in particular the Hyderabadi Muslims. After this, the African Diaspora in India as it relates to the group known as the Siddi who are African descendants of people who came to the subcontinent both in free or enslaved groups. I am just blown away by the cultural diversity of India, Asia, and the Middle East!  The history of Thailand never ceases to amaze me, and also the Parsi community bringing with it a Persian, Zoastrian flare! 

After people, it is a passion for historical fashion. Types of sari styles and fabric! 

• Love 2

NewSig.png
Welcome to the City of Destiny

Wedding Season 1797
Forming Families Among the Rumors and the Joy
Will you ally for love or money, business or pleasure, peace or war?

Some stuff I researched or stumbled across or got pointed in the direction of thanks to either @Seahorse or other members of my site:

• Porto-Afro Royalty. *happy sighs*
  • Treatment of miscarriages in the 18th century. Not a whole lot you could do but offer pain relief, herbs that encouraged muscle movement, and constant cleaning of sheets.
  • Thumbs up for Seahorse mentioning Thai and Parsi cultures. My two fave things to read about. Newest thing I learned about Parsi last week was that snakes were vile and bad spirited. This is in direct contradiction to the native culture that admires snakes.
  • More BEIC things. That's some shit to untangle.
On 2/1/2018 at 9:10 PM, Gothic said:

I've gotten two new books on women in antiquity and women writers in Greece and Rome. Along with a book on Christianity in the late Roman Empire so I should be learning more about those things. 

For Roman things. There were communal toilets and no-one thought it was strange. Usually they had graffiti on and around them. Aaaand you bought a sponge to wipe your butt. I've also read you rented it and gave it back. 

Um what now? Renting butt-wiping sponges?

• LOL 1

300x80AdBanner.png

home sweet home.

18th century British India rp. Jcink premium.

be geeky with me!

• 7 months later...

Between 1808 and the 1820s, European clothing was rarely seen outside the two main settlements in Van Diemen's Land (now Tasmania). Bushrangers wore kangaroo skin and fur. This was warmer and more water proof.

Soldiers wore "bush dress" as well.

This resulted in accidents.

Two parties rushed each other in 1816. They were both groups of soldiers. They each thought the other were bushrangers. 🤨

You can also find me at: