Red Flags

Rune

Toxic push in sexuality. It doesn't matter the sexuality but when someone is literally pushing people to play one type it gets ugly real fast.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my biggest red flags as both an admin and member is when someone new joins and starts immediately regaling the entire server with all the stories they have about how every other site they were on was toxic/mean/awful and they're so glad to have found this one because it's going to be different this time!

...all before they've even registered a character account.

Spoiler alert: in anywhere from a day to a week, depending on how patient the staff team is, this latest site is going to get added to the long running tale of "everyone is mean to me for no reason"

This actually happened: I had joined a board a loooong time ago that I knew was doomed when they kept rejecting my character's name. I understand having rules against duplicate names and stuff like that. That wasn't the case. They would not allow me to use the name Athena, not because it was already being used, but because it's the name of a Goddess. Her twins sister's name was Anastasia (this character was an already established character played by my actual sister). It was a marauders era HP board. I couldn't use Alessandra because there was already a Alexandra on the board. I was not allowed to use another name because it was too close to Anastasia. It was Annalise or something similar. I should have given up at that point but settled on a name I didn't like and can't remember. I didn't end up staying long. And the board closed like a month after and never reopened. 

• 4 weeks later...

When people want to change the lore on the get-go. First thread has to be some site-wide, lore-changing thing when they just joined. No lead up to it. I understand the enthusiasm or if there's an actual event for it, but man. Also people who try to loophole everything :c

spacer.png
An Animanga Fantasy RP
(Jcink Premium)

• 8 months later...

Oh man, there are so many red flags, but my major one is when I join a site server and there is no greeting, nobody even acknwoledges I am there. Or when after the inital greeting everything I say and or do is ignored. Why open a site if you are not going to chat to your guests?!

Initiative.png.a7d5feeb090cdb7d78d7bddf1e3f65f5.png

• 2 weeks later...

When someone starts asking me questions on Discord about how to use the board or kinds of characters they want to make and it's stunningly obvious that they haven't looked at the board or read the setting.  It suggests they aren't actually interested in the game I'm running.  Often they have a particular character they want to play and are looking for a game they can shoehorn them into (Do people even know what shoehorns are anymore? I might be dating myself there).

On 3/24/2024 at 10:51 AM, Cheeco said:

Oh man, there are so many red flags, but my major one is when I join a site server and there is no greeting, nobody even acknwoledges I am there. Or when after the inital greeting everything I say and or do is ignored. Why open a site if you are not going to chat to your guests?!

I admit sometimes we don't greet people on our Discord.  Because we get *so many* people who enter the Discord, say nothing, then leave.  So I discontinued the bot that announces new people have entered.

shadows.png.6876924961e032f5c681ba9f11df2adf.png

Discord    |    Masked in Shadows    |    Join