Red Flags

Rune

What are some red flags that say, to you, an RPer isn't going to work out. Or a site will be closed before too long?

What signs or symptoms make you go "Yeah, you aren't cut out for this board..." Or make you assume a board is going to be a hot mess? Or just make you realize that, maybe, you shouldn't RP with this particular person.

• I read this! 1

When an admin is quick to blame anyone they don't like. Or is overly rude. Yeah no.

If it's fandom and they don't allow canon names or names from other canons but they can't tell there are lesser canon names or less common fandoms running around.

When folks point blank refuse to rp with other folks. Like...uh...okaaaayyyy.....

If i have to jump through hoops to keep my characters because some people never post but someone pitches a fit if i decide to replot. 

I could go on and on.

Oh. Last one. If the board owner never actually works or posts. Yeah. You're just not gonna last. Sorrryyyyyyyy not sorryyyyyyyy

Edited by Morrigan
Edited by staff for code of conduct violation.
  • I read this! 3

pvZERW.gif

A board just opened and literally every member is staff? All six of them? What could they all possibly do? 

If all you do is complain about how you need to do posts, we probably aren't going to mesh RP wise and I'll probably avoid writing with you. I'm fine with people being slow, I really don't care. But talking about how badly you need to do posts over and over and over again gets old fast.

• I read this! 4
  • Love 1
  • LOL 1

The people who think that being technically and obsessively accurate is more important than the connection between characters and players, and how if affects the story.

*Especially* when your source material is full of contradictions and holes.

• I read this! 10
  • Like 1
  • Preach it! 1

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

29 minutes ago, Death Kitten said:

The people who think that being technically and obsessively accurate is more important than the connection between characters and players, and how if affects the story.

*Especially* when your source material is full of contradictions and holes.

But, DK. Treknobabble is SCIENTIFICALLY ACCURATE!

• LOL 2

"I'll definitely post today". Two weeks later, person hasn't posted yet. Then contact you again (unprompted) to tell you that they're "almost done" with their post (but  you can bet two more weeks will go by and no post). Like, no, mah dude. I don't care if you take a full historical age to post. (I have waited for 8 months for someone to return, seriously) But if you're gonna promise a post today, I would expect this post, well... today. Maybe tomorrow. Not in a month.

People whose reply to everything you suggest on a plot is 'okay'. Or 'I don't think that will work' and don't offer anything.

There's probably more, but these are the clear "yeah, this is not gonna work" signs I can think of now.

Edited by Shades
  • I read this! 4
  • Agree 2

Shady McShaderson

Certain character traits/abilities/etc are off-limits ----- except the admin and/or their bff staff can do/use it. 

• I read this! 3
  • Agree 1
  • Preach it! 2

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

I usually look at the staff as a main source. Staff is typically a good indication if a site is worth it or they might die soon/cause an ulcer. 

1. If they're not as dedicated, the site won't last long. I don't mean being on 24/7, but not putting in the effort to try to improve things.
  2. If staff members keep switching out like it's a game of Duck, Duck, Goose, something is probably wrong with the staffer who still is there or there probably are major reasons as to why their staff keeps switching out like it's a game.
  3. If the rules seem to be bent more in favor of one person over another. I'm not talking about like "oh yeah, you can have a blue character when we typically don't allow it," I mean, "Yeah, you can continue bullying that person. Hell, I'll even help you!" 
  4. If the rules aren't even applied to the staff members. I find this a huge issue on sites because for some reason, being admin means you get away with shit on some boards???
  5. Seconding the "staff doesn't roleplay" comment. If they don't roleplay, how would you know what is best? 
  6. Not taking suggestions/critiques!! Omg, just don't get me started. No one is perfect at this. Just take the advice. 
  7. How staff acts in public. We have resource directories and most staffers are on them. You can tell a lot by how they act/stories they share.
  8. Not understanding members have lives!!!! Holy hell, this one gets me a lot. People have lives outside of roleplay, bills to pay, school to go to, jobs, etc. Their job isn't to be by the computer waiting to give you or other members a reply. If someone says they have shit to do and can't reply (even if they give you responses or check in), don't pester them. Please respect their lives staff!! This is such a turn-off for me now. 

I could go on and on about just the staff related ones alone. But if I'm not looking at the staff, some easy things are:

1. Does the community actually get along? I'll lurk for a bit before joining because no one will show their skeletons to a new person within the first hour. If you invest some time, you can tell if there are any issues that will either result in drama, or huge arguments further down the road.
  2. Posting speed. While I know there's some lulls, if there aren't posts typically for 2-3 weeks that aren't in the usual times when roleplay is slow, then sorry not sorry, but it's probably dying soon. 
  3. Another seconding on nitpicking facts. This is more of a member issue where they probably won't last long, but if you gotta pick at the smallest details or try to, to get your way, you're done.

I agree with a lot of what people said xD So I won't list more, but dear gods I could keep going on some of these. People gave a lot of really good responses, so I'm just going to go liking those~

• I read this! 4
  • Preach it! 3

jak_sig_2sec_by_accenlia-dbcyqh8.gif

Not all things last... Some thrive in the fire while others die
Original High Medieval Fantasy || 3-3-3

Oh my GOD yes when the rules don't apply to staff. I give not one flying fuck how slow you post. If you can't handle one post a month with your fifty bagillion characters when every single person on your damn board knows you are not doing any work, don't tell me that the "staff are too busy to meet ac requirements." if you posted long ass posts i might buy that.but it's short posts that are literally exchangeable for one character to the other.

Edited by Morrigan
Edited by staff for code of conduct violation.
  • I read this! 1

pvZERW.gif

2 hours ago, Kullervo said:

In applications: 'Curves in the right places'. I'm now tempted to use this line for a male character.

Please make this. Or a character with curves in all the wrong places.

For people I'm considering RP'ing with, my red flags are:

- Overcorrecting other people's grammatical mistakes.

- General lack of tact.

- Not laughing at any of my jokes.

• I read this! 3
  • LOL 1

Too many Red Flags to name them all but one that's pretty obvious are members that arrive over excited 

I've noticed they get everyone riled up, make all these plot ideas in chat and then never actually go through with making the character. 

Or, the members that show up and have to play something who is 'special' beyond the specialness that already exists in a species or member group. You pretty much know they're never going to be happy. 

As for sites in general, the chat is a huge tell, admins who are rude to guests or even their members in a public forum is hugely unsettling, like why would I want to put myself in that kind of situation before I even start? 

• I read this! 5
  • Agree 1
  • Preach it! 1