Balancing Admin Duties and Posting

Samantha

Ugh. I'm a tinkerer. I love doing admin things. I'll slip in the back office and do things, write up pieces of announcement, and plan out things we could all do (read: my members could do). I add new graphics over time, like this macro or that macro that should've been done forever ago. This is more fun than posting sometimes, so I won't even deny that I wear the admin hat more often than I wear the player hat without complaint.

Lists. Listing helps with balance. I use list to weigh out priorities and I also use list to remind myself of plots that I have going on which gets me excited all over again when I'm reminded of them. List of threads I'm owed, lists of threads I want started. Then there's the list of admin things. Honestly, there isn't that much admin things to do on my site since we're a group that shares all tasks and things are really lax.

For me, it's balancing being a roleplayer vs real life things. I had some shit hit me hard at the beginning of the year, after a year of already having shitty things throwing obstacles in front of me. Tinkering is soothing, writing requires braining. Both are good things, just need to balance the two against real life obligations. I have an understanding staff and friends I play with. So very patient and kind! <3 That's another thing that helps with balancing -- knowing that they're there waiting makes me want to make sure they have a post to look forward to.

• I read this! 1

300x80AdBanner.png

home sweet home.

18th century British India rp. Jcink premium.

be geeky with me!

• 3 months later...

I have the luxury of being able to do a lot of rp things from work. So that has been a great thing. But before that, what I would end up trying to do is devote a day or two throughout the week to the admin things that need to be done. Approving/sorting characters excluded as this is a daily as needed thing. But things like advertising, link backs, making a couple updates to things that need to be done. I will just devote a day or two to getting those things done. The rest of the time I will do the posting. Posting and keeping up with my threads with my members is just as important of a priority as getting the site updates done as well.

vCblB2.png

canon characters and oc's welcome

• 1 month later...

I keep to do lists and keep on top of day to day, but honestly my biggest priority is posting unless some big event is coming up.  I'm trying to get more in the habit of doing some admin work, advertising etc, first briefly and then going into posts.  New apps always take absolute priority.  I really don't like to keep people waiting on those.  Ultimately, I think what works to keep sites going is that the admins are actively engaged.  Once that's gone, boards seem to fail.  But as other people have said, balance is pretty important.  Balance between admin things/posting, balance between real life/rp.  I also personally am less enthusiastic if 90% of the time I am posting advertisements so the posting is what makes it enjoyable and keeps me sane.  

• I read this! 1

royals_rebels.gif

I set aside days that I have planned for posts first. Usually Sunday or Monday when people have recently replied to my post on Friday/Saturday and on those days I do replies before I even look at my admin duties. As the site owner, people know I'm on every day. I have an admin account and character accounts. I dont' allow messages on my character accounts for admin duties. I tell them to PM it to my admin account or it won't be addressed. That way I keep the accounts separate and can fully focus on posts on my character days!

I make things as hands-off as a staff member as I possibly can. If I can automate things, I do. If I can have the members do the thing themselves (sort themselves into their own groups, for example), I do. If I don't have apps, I don't have to read them or approve them. Plus side, the members can just RP whenever they feel like. So far, so good. (I know some people think sites like this will plunge into chaos but thus far... that has never been the case and I've been doing things this way for years.) 

Reality is an illusion. 

I'm currently a sole staffer and I'm finding this, what I do is identify all the stuff that needs to be done and break it down so I do a few tasks each day to let me have time to post 🙂

promoimg.png