What Was Your Favorite Forum and Why?

Uaithne

8 hours ago, Sketchy Unicorn said:

Whaaaat. XD

Hi there! *waves* Oh man, I defintely know how that is with life being a butt. I've seen a few people from DU around here and there. Out of curiosity, who'd you play there?

And I remember Oo-De-Lally too! I was on there briefly. Wow, I didn't know you were the same person. Small world. :D

I played Megara primarily, but also Toulouse and very briefly Basil. Then a handful of others over on ODL.

The only person I know that's still around from Disney Unleashed is @Jacob ! Who totally read my mind and posted! HI JACOB!

The RP world always surprises me. Honestly never expected to find anyone who was around what, 12 years ago? DU open in 2006 initially... man, I feel old.

(Also sorry, I feel like I hijacked this thread. :x )

• Love 1

tumblr_inline_mi4wioKiIr1roozkr.giftumblr_inline_mi4wi5wYHQ1roozkr.giftumblr_inline_mi4whxLHiF1roozkr.gif

Join ODL's Discord!
xuv911.png  xSxavN.png
NTRL coming eventually.

• Admin

It may have been my site but I tried to keep it alive for 5 years before I finally gave up on it. Knights of Cydonia. It was a Futuristic Dystopia based in a post apocalyptic world.... with lots of Muse references.

• I read this! 1
  • Like 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Guest Tia

My fave forum was this 19th century forum called Murders & Roses. I normally don't rp in 19th century sites or even like that time of history (save for when the slaves were freed and some of the literature that was out) but the site I came across was so cool that I was like, "dude I'm SO joining." They had every literature character you can think of from the 1800's from Dorian Gray to Frankenstein (the doctor though but its all good). They don't allow vampires vampires but I think you can count Dracula being the only vampire there. And, they allowed originals. It was pretty awesome and the graphics were sophisticated. I had some moments but the staff was so nice and I felt like we were a family (so yeah you can argue with some members over stuff like a family member does but that's family). It was going to go to JCINK but the person who put it on JCINK (it was on Proboards) closed that site. I wish she didn't. And I wish it was back. I still miss it to this day :(

On 4/24/2018 at 8:19 PM, Jacob said:

It's always a pleasure to be reacquainted with old friends!  I was one of the leading moderators at Disney Unleashed!  Prince Florian (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs) (1937) is/was my staple canon, though I also portrayed King Arthur "Wart" Pendragon (The Sword in the Stone) (1963) and Prince Naveen of Maldonia (The Princess and the Frog) (2009) at  @Menkyfish's boards.

Good seeing you again, Jacob! :D  I remember you because you're like the only person I ever saw play Snow White's prince and Wart/Arthur before.  We've been on some other Disney RPG forums together too.

On 4/24/2018 at 8:24 PM, Menkyfish said:

I played Megara primarily, but also Toulouse and very briefly Basil. Then a handful of others over on ODL.

The only person I know that's still around from Disney Unleashed is @Jacob ! Who totally read my mind and posted! HI JACOB!

The RP world always surprises me. Honestly never expected to find anyone who was around what, 12 years ago? DU open in 2006 initially... man, I feel old.

(Also sorry, I feel like I hijacked this thread. :x )

Thinking on it, I feel I remember your username. And you're making me feel old now, lol. Quit it!

Same! I haven't run into anyone from DU in years, especially since giving up on Disney sites (BTW, DU was the first legit forum RP I ever joined).

• Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

-sigh-

Memories of my favorite forum are bitter sweet and, for various reasons I won't get into, I'mma not drop the forum's name. It was a standard play-by-post rpg but with a wilderness survival twist. It had a series of stat n' dice systems to back up that "survival game" aspect. I had poked around rps with stat systems before, but this was the first one I've ever played that hardcore enforced its systems...as opposed to just...sorta having optional dice handy in case that rare person who enjoyed that sorta thing happened to join. Nah, this rpg was a mini-DnD homebrew type deal. And, oh, did I love it.

Hands down, that rpg was the most fun I ever had playing any rp. Ever. Period. I didn't just have fun playing - I can make my own fun just about anywhere - I felt valued. My character joined a guild, so to say, in his first thread and was a valued member of that guild until the site closed. He and I alike were valued because...I was an active player and my character was growing well in his stats and skills, so he was a useful dude to keep around. He was another ready sword to protect and provide for the other members of the guild - he was relied on, I he had to rely his comrades. I've never had plots and just casual character interactions that held so much weight for my own character's development as I did in that rp. Everything mattered, because the game was rather uncompromising when it came to survival. Including if you made enemies and those enemies decided they'd like to put your head on a pike. Oh man...I never had so much fun. And I never felt...terribly welcomed on the site. The head admin and I butted heads occasionally, and my character was not the most pleasant dude... He was a good ally but a poor friend, if you get my meaning. But that didn't matter. I didn't need to be welcome to get threads or plots, I could just play...and feel perfectly secure knowing that my character's guild valued and respected and enjoyed playing with me. Pffft to the enemy guilds and what they think!

...But the site was short lived. It lasted about six or eight months, if I remember right. The head admin was flake-y and just turned off the site for good one day. Waking up to find the game closed didn't surprise me, anyone who paid attention to how the admin handled things could predict that the site's death was coming sooner rather than later. I was more than angry about it... Heheheh. I still am. But I was not surprised by any means.

...I miss that rpg. I miss my character and my guild mates. Miss not taking the opportunity to try to kill that one character, or move quicker trying to woo that new girl. My dude really thought she was cute, and she seemed into him. Shoulda trained harder and gone for the jugular while the game existed.... -sighppppbbbbt-

• I read this! 1

goShaveYourGiantHeadOfSmellWithYourBadSelf.png.330cfee24df61fd4cc42c52e66e63ab6.png

I have held a candle for a my first forum-style PBP for over a decade. Finally, a fellow staff member and I who used to moderate that site together decided enough time had passed and we had enough experience between the two of us to make some edits to the story and the structure of the game to revive it. So, I'm currently reliving my favorite RP of all time, and I am not complaining.

Wheeeeee~!

Thorns: Uprising
A Unique Victorian Fantasy Play-by-Post RPG

LORE | FORUM | CHARACTER CENSUS | WANTED ADS | DISCORD

• 3 weeks later...

There was an oooold site I used to play at (and later help run) called Domhnall back on IF. It was old school medieval fantasy with a twist where everyone was given an animal companion and it was amaziiiiiiiing. Some of the best writers and people I've ever met from there. So sad it disappeared! 

My favourite will always be 'Hogwarts Kingdom' because it was the first RP I joined, it was what inspired me to go on telling stories by going for a degree in English and Creative Writing, it was where I met my first RP friend, who I still put up with to this day and without whom I may have given up RP years ago. Basically: Hogwarts Kingdom was where I learned to write and RP and though I am seriously ashamed of my writing back then it was my first home and therefore my most beloved. I really wish I could find some of the old members from that site just to say hi.

vzcOoJ.png

• 2 weeks later...

I was apart of a wolf roleplay forum called Origin Wolves and that site was great for a couple years. After awhile it died out, but it had a very welcoming and active community with amazing plots that somehow always tied in the packs together in a way that felt realistic and dramatic at the same time. The site cared about it's members and the characters it had on it, and I have yet to see another site with a staff team or member base so dedicated. It's part of the reason I haven't actually joined a roleplay forum in awhile. It's just not worth the hassle of joining, setting up, only to be disappointed. 

Honestly? Neopets.

The community used to be so welcoming and friendly and I made a lot of quality friends there. I hate that it has changed so much and the rules got really strict. I understand, but I still dislike it.

lipsbanner.jpg

Red Light District Role-Playing.

Adult role-playing forum.
Fulfill your fantasies in the Red Light District.

• Operations Mod

Poisonwood was probably my favorite. Medieval werewolf site set in what's modern day Arefu, Romania - post Vlad Tepes but during the reign of Stefan cel Mare & the Ottoman invasion. 

A medieval shifter fantasy site called Cineri is a close second. 

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

• 2 weeks later...

My first forum rpg was a site called "Jewels" based on the Black Jewels books. I hadn't read the books at the time but MAN was it the jump into dark fantasy that I needed to get me hooked. I can't remember what it was that I loved about it, but the nostalgia alone puts it at the top of my list of old favorites.

signature2small.png.6c6902665e4c91ca15240bd1f4a0bce3.png

Okay. So I know we have some things that are kind of similar to this, but seriously - everyone has those favorite RPs that died out, right? Sometimes, these might not even be specific RP sites, but specific things they did with a partner or a genre that doesn't seem popular anymore.

For myself, my biggest one falls into that last category - what the heck happened to all those 'school for the gifted' RPs from the mid-2000s? They were so fun! Maybe it's just because I'm older (22 at the time of writing this), but I swear I haven't seen that genre around in ages.

As for favorite specific RPs, I used to have so many with my old RP groups that ended up dying for various reasons. We had one that was actually one of those school for the gifted set ups but with Alice in Wonderland themes; another one that someone else ran and I took up + made my own for another site (with their permission!) was set in an orphanage where all the kids and adults' issues were manifested into buddy monsters for them. Another old favorite based on Power Rangers is actually being revived soon potentially, which is exciting!

ac2204b883ba2b2c3b93079f6c58144be0db842f
Be a Part of the Story
Discord
NOW ACCEPTING CHARACTERS FROM NON-ANIMATED FANDOMS

way back when nintendo had flipnote hatena on the dsi, myself and several other artist/writers created a comic style roleplay about dragons. It was generally done in a comic-style where players would draw the scenes, and somewhat control all characters on their turn to post. The rp lasted for about 3 years on that venue until the internet-enabled part of the application was officially shut down. I kept some of the friends made from that venture into other places, but I haven't really done art-based rp since.

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LOVE ME AND DESPAIR

Oh my, I've been a member of a number of RPs. There's four(well, one technically had 2 reincarnations so I am counting it as one) that stick out to me. Listing them in no particular order.

There was A Sinking Feeling which was a Titanic based RP. While my departure was bittersweet, it's a site with a lot of great memories that come to mind. Wonderful ships, fun threads, great characters. . . and I got to RP as preparing to depart and being on the Titanic — something I consider one of my big historical searches since I've read and researched about it since I was really young.

There was a wonderful forum called Skye: The Winged Isle that was a combination of forum-and-live-play RP. It is where I met one of my dearest friends, @Seahorse! We've been friends ever since, and have staffed/RPed together elsewhere as well, and even though the RP had to close due to RL stuff it's a place I considered like a home after losing one of my former long-time RP places before I found this one. This one. . . I  can't even put into words the wonderful memories, both community and RP-wise, that stick with me. I still often go back and re-read threads/characters, and we often gush over those days together.

There was my first ever long-time forum, and I say long-time cause I briefly joined one but went away one weekend for vacation and. . . they closed lol I'd only been a member like 3 days, but anyways I ended up being lucky enough to find Realms of Validon. I have a lot of good memories with that place though it sadly closed due to some personal reasons for the staff, and later I did get to open it again for a spell with a jump in history to create some more wonderful memories, but later had to close it to due to RL stuff. This site gave me some of my best long-time RP pals, people I've known so long that we consider each other family at this point.

There was a forum during my modern RP days, which were rare, that made me actually enjoy modern. It was called The District, and I created it with two friends. It was a modern RP that dealt with a lot of political stuff. It wasn't just all who was banging who which in the days of AoL live-and-forum was practically nonexistent. Sure that stuff came up, but it wasn't the sole focus. We had actual political, criminal, etc. plots. Some that were even reflective of real world happenings. It made me so happy. Sometimes I wish this place was still around as we were often ahead of the curve with things that otherwise only came about in RP later.

And last, though not least, my first ever play-by-post forum that I considered a home like the other two places. . . a brilliant sci-fi setting called Retrograde. I absolutely loved it. I had a lot of characters, a lot of threads, etc. on the place. I even staffed it for awhile. I had to leave though as my RL got. . . well, a lot of stuff went on all at once and I had to leave which was really difficult given that this place helped me get back into RP after I nearly gave up on it altogether following a really bad stalking/harassment incident that left me a wreck. This place, its community? They helped me heal a great deal. Though it closed at some point, I still go back to re-read the wonderful threads and made some wonderful friends from it that I still talk to, and some of those connections led me to a few other great places where I made some cherished connections.