How Important is Roleplay to You?

Uaithne

Not very. I could drop this all tomorrow. Sign off from everything and never check in and just spend more time playing video games  and hanging out with friends. Maybe I'd pick up more books to read (probably not lol), but roleplaying isn't at the top of my list of mandatory hobbies. I enjoy it and it's fun to flex my creative juices with it, but it's always quaternary.

56 minutes ago, VirusZero said:

CovertSphinx,

It's entirely possible I'm just super burned out. Maybe I have to just power through it and force myself to get through this so I can get back into the habit again. Maybe it'll come back if I bow out. Though if I do bow out, maybe it'll never come back. I mean I left one of the other directories for a year but I don't actually think it did any good. (I returned after that year and it was like walking into a minefield. Lots of little issues that I'd kinda ignored weren't so little anymore. From that point I felt like I was constantly walking on eggshells, living in a world of cardboard. Always having to take constant care not to break someone. And it just wasn't fun experience.)

At this point I'm not even really sure what to do. 

Don't power through it. If you're burnt out, step away. Maybe you'll come back, maybe you won't. But If you push yourself through it, there's a greater chance of you getting sick of it and leaving then and there than there is of you retiring if you just simply took a break.

On a scale of 1 - 10, roleplay lands in a solid 7.5 for me. I love writing, but I thrive on interactive writing. The behind-the-scenes work is as important or even more important than the in-story writing. When I was younger, it was just something I did when I was home and nothing else in RL was calling my name. Now that I'm older and mostly stuck at the house, it's more of a major creative and social outlet for me. Still, when it gets too much or the drama goes overboard, I will close a site and walk away. My attitude these days is that it is supposed to be fun not a chore. If I dread working on posts, then it's time to leave.

Is it a game? Yes and no. There are rules to follow with most groups and sites, so that implies a game as games have rules. I suppose many sites provide more of a game feel if there are bits and pieces the players don't know about or if there are obstacles set for them to overcome. Our sites are more like interactive / collaborative fiction writing clubs.

Could I leave the RP world? Yes, and I have done so in the past. Even now, I will shut down the computer to watch TV, read a book, spend time with my parrots, etc. I enjoy watching the news, documentaries on all kinds of stuff - I get the greatest plot ideas from the oddest places.

• I read this! 1

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!