Player Ages & Joining a Site

Quell

On 1/15/2018 at 4:40 AM, Thyme said:

Do other people do this? Does the mean age of characters and/or players affect your interest in a site at all?

I might glance at character list to glean what ages they are, but that's just to make sure they're not all teenagers. I don't check out character ages to guess what the age of the writers are! It's a good observation though.

Personally, I prefer a character population with a variety of ages and an adult population. But that's a preference and thus I can be lenient.

• I read this! 2

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

On 1/14/2018 at 2:00 PM, CovertSphinx said:

The question I want to ask though, is, are we talking about Age as a BIAS of "I don't want to play with kids", or age as a clue to say "I'm not really into doing a school-life genre RP so if all the chars are below 24 I know it's just not the genre niche I'm looking for"?  Because I think they have two very different connotations. 

The thought that I'm age-biased concerns me. However, I think I am to a degree. Since moving away from sites and fandoms that attract a very young writer base, I've had less behind-the-scenes drama to deal with. I would also consider myself age-concerned. I am a much older person - think archaic - and the thought of writing a romance with someone that I later learn is a teenager makes me very uncomfortable even though I do not write graphic smut.

The flipside of that is that I do like to see a mix of character ages and levels of maturity. This does promote varied types of interactions. I'd just shy away from sites where all characters are teens, etc.

Here's a thought! Maybe I should create an "over-fifty" site  where all sorts of adventures happen in this retirement community! LOL

• I read this! 2
  • LOL 2

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

Personally I don't tend to look at the character's ages on sites - it doesn't bother me, but it is nice to see a realistic variation of ages. 

On ATO we see a great range of ages which is fab! Of course, a big part of our site is the games and those characters are ages 12-18 anyway - so there will always be younger characters here, but the same players also have an assortment of older characters for different roles :) 

I haven't noticed too much of a relationship between player age and character age really, but it's an interesting concept! I've played characters ranging from about 12-45. 

• I read this! 3

rsz_rsz_new1.png

It is the year of the 125th (Winter) Hunger Games. There is no District Thirteen. The Capitol is in complete control and the rest of Panem must obey.
Index // Rules // Plot // Application // Want Ads // Link Back // Discord

Wow, I didn't realise that could be a thing. Thanks, now I most definitely will add my site's players' average age range as well as my personal age group at the top of the Characters list. It fits there well as i'm already informing there the number of members and characters while the characters' ages are marked under their pictures and bio links among other useful basic info.

If the setting and plot interests me, to decide if I'd fit in and enjoy my time there I look into the ooc discussion and IC post styles and the rules.

All that matters to me in players' ages is that nobody's under the age of 15. The sites I build and am interested in seem to mostly attract players in their twenties and thirties and fourties anyway, while the rare 15-19 year olds and those in their early twenties who join can be very good writers and mature for their age whereas some older adults could be immature. So the average ages in a community has never been a problem to me and I've avoided immature drama and loads of ooc stuff that doesn't interest me by just looking into the ooc boards.

• I read this! 3

CoM_title_forum_2021.png

CHILDREN OF MERLIN - HARRT POTTER 1980S RPG
| Small app | Fluid time | Lots of species |

59 minutes ago, Stormwolfe said:

Here's a thought! Maybe I should create an "over-fifty" site  where all sorts of adventures happen in this retirement community! LOL

I would SOOO be in on this! Theme it all "Stranger Things" style nostalgic and take all us Old Fogies back to the "Real-but-fantasy" days of The Goonies, Pagemaster, etc

• I read this! 3
  • Love 3

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

2 minutes ago, CovertSphinx said:

I would SOOO be in on this! Theme it all "Stranger Things" style nostalgic and take all us Old Fogies back to the "Real-but-fantasy" days of The Goonies, Pagemaster, etc

RED! Retired and Extremely Dangerous!

*Falls over laughing*

I am actually far older than Goonies and Pagemaster. My nostalgia range is 1960s to 1970s.

*grins*  Still, the plot bunnies are hopping. LOL

• I read this! 2
  • Love 2

RPG-Initiative

1 hour ago, CovertSphinx said:

Those are 1980s things, nostalgic to my generation as in people who are now in their 30s. Not over fifty. :) But I agree, that "over-fifty" idea for a site sounds fun. I mean generally, for any generation to do.

In the recent years I have often set a site in the 1980s and 1990s because of the sweet nostalgia (and because I'm one of the last who isn't a digital native I yearn to return to the era when the internet, social media, mobile phones and smart devices didn't exist or didn't rule the world.) But so far I haven't thought of nor would I go limiting their minimum age to over-thirty. But I indeed might join a site that does because it would add the element of shared nostalgia. Although, just running a site set in that era is more than enough.

Edited by Kieran
  • I read this! 1

CoM_title_forum_2021.png

1 hour ago, Stormwolfe said:

RED! Retired and Extremely Dangerous!

*Falls over laughing*

I am actually far older than Goonies and Pagemaster. My nostalgia range is 1960s to 1970s.

*grins*  Still, the plot bunnies are hopping. LOL

I am in love with this idea so much and am going to steal it for my next tabletop campaign. Thank you. *crying in laughter and gratefulness*

• I read this! 1
  • Love 1
  • LOL 1

Bows

Glad to be of service and really happy to have made someone smile and laugh!

Steal away! I will cheer your campaign onward. *Everyone, keep your arms and legs inside of your walker and watch out for high curbs!"

• I read this! 1
  • LOL 1

RPG-Initiative

17 minutes ago, Zahhy said:

I am in love with this idea so much and am going to steal it for my next tabletop campaign. Thank you. *crying in laughter and gratefulness*

You better Twitch or Youtube these sessions, I want to be present for this gloriousness lol

• I read this! 2
  • Love 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

16 hours ago, Icewolf said:

I tend to stay away from sites where the character base is mostly in their teens or early twenties (Fandoms like Harry Potter or Buffy would probably be an exception because of the setting if I wanted to play in those.)

The reason for this is it could be an indication of the age of the players. If it's top heavy on the teens/early twenties you're probably going to get a lot of kids. (At least Harry Potter and Buffy are quite old fandoms now, so the majority of the player base is likely to be close to my age.) Young people don't have a lot of experience with writing and creating characters and are more likely to create over-powered ones, or not write very well.

Although I think the bit I highlighted in bold was stated in a bit over-generalizing way,  it's why I think a visitor would be much better off in the search for a site if making the judgment after reading or eyeing through the characters' biographies and not deciding by just checking or guessing the characters' age.

Edited by Kieran
  • I read this! 2

CoM_title_forum_2021.png

4 hours ago, CovertSphinx said:

"There's a ghost!"
"WHAT?!"
"A GHOST!"
"A SCONE?!"

I am totally age biased. Kids annoy the piss out of me. I can tolerate them IRL but I don't want to have them forced on me during my happy fun times. That and while I don't NEED smut and adult content, I write adult characters. I prefer adult situations.

That and I really, REALLY need to bitch about bills and periods and work sometimes.

• I read this! 2
  • LOL 1

I'm with the "I'm old and I need older people to better understand family life/work life/certain constraints that come with being in the grown up world rather than like, school or pre-kids :)

• I read this! 1

I prefer RPing with older people because they understand RL commitments and the priority they have. Although player ages typically won't stop me from joining a site, I won't join a site filled with teenage RPers. 

And I like a variety in character ages when I do RP

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

I dunno, despite being in the > 30 crowd I've never been one to turn away the < 18 crowd because contrary to most of the opinions being stated here, I actually find young people more pleasant to deal with compared to those within my age bracket. Like, too many bitter old men/women. Like, can I have an OOC conversation for once that doesn't involve casting judgement on people/things you don't like?

Might be just where I came from, but I find that younger people are more likely to use RP communities to escape from their RL issues - I.e. to "lose themselves" in geek talk and fantasy escapism; whereas older people are more likely to use these as channels to vent their frustrations.

Plus, it seems younger people seem to have an easier time accepting that "the admin has the final say", which makes dealing with them far more relaxing than the "I'm an adult so don't tell me what to do!" crowd.

• I read this! 4