Open Coterie  ·  64 members

Book Club

What's that ONE book/Series you suggest to everyone

JByrd

So the title kinda says it all... What's that ONE Book/Series/Author that instantly comes to mind when someone asks for a good book recommendation?

Mine USED to be Laurell K Hamilton.  Most people who are a fan of the genre know her, and she's got a divided camp of "supporters" now that she writes a lot more smut.   I hesitate before I recommend her, depending on the audience.  Some people are down for the smut, others.. not so much.

If the asker doesn't like smut as much I'll point them to Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Norville series.  Patricia Briggs is a close second.

Edited by JByrd
  • Preach it! 1

Most books I read are Young Adult, so of that genre I'd pick out The Night World. I'm not actually a fan of L.J. Smith's other books (most popular: Vampire Diaries), but The Night World saga is very well-crafted from what I remember, and it offers more lore on supernatural beings than I've read elsewhere.

• I read this! 1

I will always swear by anything Neil Gaiman, even though a lot of people say that he's like... overrated. American Gods is my favorite book by him.

• I read this! 1

www.blackdahliaroleplaying.com

• 3 weeks later...

There are a few series I tend to recommend to people:

Anything by Brandon Sanderson (best to start with the Mistborn Trilogy though)

The Kushiel Legacy by Jacqueline Carey (they are amazing)

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

The Relic Guild by Edward Cox

Okay, for me it's:

The Raven Cycle books by Maggie Steifvater

The Chrestomanci series by Diana Wynne Jones

The Last Herald Mage series by Mercedes Lackey

The Captive Prince trilogy by C.S. Pacat

Reality is an illusion. 

The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss. There are two books out right now (The Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear) and he's working on the third. There are a few short stories, and a novella called The Slow Regard of Silent Things that's based around my favorite character in the series Auri.

• 4 weeks later...

Sherrilyn Kenyon - Dark Hunter Series

Nalini Singh - psy Changeling Series and Guild Hunter Series

Kit Rocha - Beyond Series

Joanna Wylde - Biker Series

Places I Rp where you can find me

Crossroads To Hell

spacer.png

Dark Envy

spacer.png

• 4 weeks later...

I love recommending Kelley Armstrong to people! She's sort of fantasy with werewolves and vampires and necromancers with her Women of the Otherworld series (and then by extension Men of the Otheworld breakoffs). She also has some young adult focused stories that aren't quite as mature in the "Otherworld" world she's created, but I haven't gotten quite attached to them.

She also has more of a teen-focused/young adult series based around Norse gods and that's definitely a good read!

I also like to recommend the Maze Runner series by James Dashner!

• 2 years later...

For something lighter, I always recommend Tamora Pierce.

For much more grown up fantasy, Sara Douglass. No one has ever heard of her, or read her books and it makes me so sad because I loved them and I want to geek out over them with someone! I literally reread The Troy Game series and the Wayfarer Redemption series every year. 

test2.png

Guidebook | Want Ads | Canon List

RPG-D Member's Choice Winner

Harry Potter 2020