Period accurate play bys

Kit the Human

Friends! Romans! Countrymen! Lend me your opinions! 

Where do you stand on period accurate play bys? 

Personally, I much prefer that play bys be period accurate, but near enough is close enough for me. So long as there are no obvious anachronisms in the image, I'm good. 

However, I don't care enough to actually police avatars. It's enough for me to lead by example without adding avatar rules. 

I prefer accuracy because I find modern looks to be jarring, it takes me out the scene. I do however, appreciate that finding the right play by can be hard (I'm uber picky about them) so I don't want to make the cosmetics any harder. I just don't think it's worth it. 

Where do you stand? Why? If you enforce period accuracy, how strict are you?

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'm okay with it so long as nothing is glaringly obvious. E.g. Ties, modern make up, etc. I've used playbys where I have tried to crop out as much of the modern stuff as I can, it is a bit tricky though. 

That being said, it always looks beautiful when a site has playbys that are in costume and everyone looks like it fits in. 

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

I don't mind modern clothing which isn't shown (ie some of my characters' avatars happened to be in t-shirt or classical shirt, but this was only guessed with 2-3mm of neckline  - at least until the new site, where the avatar was bigger, so yes, I have some characters in regular shirt because I can't photoshop them into a costume, and they are singers, sportspeople or actors who had never done a historical).

I don't accept women with short hair, people with obvious jeans or other too mothern clothing seen, Gothic/ Emo look, etc. 

Edited by Elena
  • I read this! 2

Guest LOVE ME AND DESPAIR

I'm on the creative cropping bus. Anything can be cropped.

Just cause someone is in period address doesn't mean it's appropriate to the period in which you're set(ie people in Victorian garb during the 17th/early 18th century for example) so truthfully it doesn't need to be a huge deal. The other reason I'm pro-creative cropping is PoC options. There's not a ton of options for PoC individuals in what would be considered period appropriate clothing. There are some out there, and we're seeing more happen, but that's still limited and you have to consider things like garb appropriateness. Our RP is British East India, if we did period appropriate then natives would have to be in garb appropriate to India for that time and. . .  well good luck there, folks.

Period appropriate might be nice for immersion if you absolutely need it, and honestly things like Pinterest, Polyvore, Google, etc. exist for linking to how your character might be dressed in a post if for some reason you feel your description isn't enough(9 times out of 10 my character isn't garbed like they are in my icon even if it's period appropriate - an icon is just an icon) but honestly it's an unnecessary hassle that can also be highly restrictive. As long as there's nothing glaringly obvious that screams omg so modern then I don't care too much.