Creature Concepts You'd Like To See More Of...

MissQ

Guest TheHales
3 hours ago, CovertSphinx said:

I also don't see too many witches/gypsies/psychics. Like, regular human, no special half-breed, just magically inclined and doing things the way a modern regular psychic, medium, wiccan, etc would do

Agreed, there aren't nearly enough books about magically inclined humans without making them part something crazy.

I might be crazy, but i'd love to see something to do with Mermaids that has more of darker feel to it. More along the lines of how the actual fairytale of The Little Mermaid goes, as opposed to the Disney version. Not that I don't have many feels for The little mermaid, because hello childhood.

• Love 2

Places you can find me at.

A Play by Post V5 VTM RP

sister-site.png.68d0a6b60fc4e963bee0749be8f8c22f.png

• 1 month later...

I wanted it so badly that I made my own site for it, but I'm still struggling to find what I'm looking for:

I'd like to see more creatures based on American myths & folklore.

If we have anything first nation's based, it's usually a wendingo or a skinwalker.....and usually skinwalker is just portrayed as a different kind of werewolf instead of their actual powers.

I want more Fearsome critters.

Edited by ReDRidingHood

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2018 at 1:49 PM, ReDRidingHood said:

I want more Fearsome critters.

I pictured a Stuffed Bunny coming alive and murdering people Monty Python and the Holy Grail style. Something about the word "critter" makes me think 'cute'. lol

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

Prepubescent children who are either born and/or turned into various creatures, having the the abilities of their parent(s) or corruptors.  They shouldn't be kept to fandoms, I opine.

Edited by Jacob

• Operations Mod
On 2/19/2018 at 12:31 PM, CovertSphinx said:

I also don't see too many witches/gypsies/psychics. Like, regular human, no special half-breed, just magically inclined and doing things the way a modern regular psychic, medium, wiccan, etc would do

I'd love to see more gypsy characters around. I've always preferred them to witches because there's more subtlety to their "power" if they even have them at all - often its more a sleight of hand sort of thing. Unfortunately the PC push in the role play world has pretty well snuffed them out as a character type.

I've been thinking about adding a gypsy faction to my site despite that crap. A long time ago I ran a site called Poisonwood and I created a gypsy faction for it. They were nomadic protectors of the werewolves in the lore. One of my characters was a born werewolf that had been secretly given over to the band as an infant so that she wasn't thrown into the river - whole huge infidelity plot it was fantastic. 

Anyway ramble aside, I hugely agree with wanting to see more of those sorts of characters. I've never been a fan of the Harry Potter sort of witches/wizards in RP - love the universe, just don't like it for RP purpose. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

I've seen this done in a couple of places, but never entirely in the context I'm thinking of. I'd love to see a world where some supernatural creatures are more integrated into mainstream society than others, with those species which are stigmatized being the ones most likely to harm human beings: Werewolves, vampires, and possibly even wendigos. Give me a world where the cannibalistic species has to go on the offensive about their civil rights, and vampires shudder to even get their causes caught up with one another, because blood drinking can be ethical, don't compare us to those gluttons! You'd get overtones of allegory, what with lycanthropy being contagious and vampires/wendigos making the "what if they prey on our children" fear-mongering easy to work in as a part of lore, but you could always work it so that it didn't get too heavy-handed.

Give me modern creatures, political arguments, media wars, and above all wendigos.

....... I can't really say too much of this until it's done, probably, and don't want it to sound like advertising, because I'm not, and it probably won't be done with remodeling for "a while" but for the site I'm working on, it's essentially a city whose government is magical creatures, and humans (albeit magical) are more the minority who are new to the city and just learning to explore things. For tech, human tech isn't supposed to be able to work, so they've had to convert a lot of Earth's devices into redesigned things that have special magic on them (haven't worked out the decision yet whether it's runes or special devices or materials) into something I'm calling Faetech (it's called Faeworld, so why not Faetech) and the four governing Clans are, while humanoid, Levians, Dryads, Naeko (instead of werewolves, because I feel that's over done) and Faeries, which go by nine different names (not technically those species, but leprecahns are among them, as the Plant Fae, yes.) Probably not exactly what you meant, but..... *shrugs*

Edit: I wouldn't get your hopes up too high for how I'm reversing the "Humans with secret magical creatures coming out into the open" setup, though- I'm probably doing it wrong, and the amount of Lore I've been writing up is a touch bit much.

Edited by Sparky Muse

So, would a world that has no humans and the usual fantasy races work? Like, we have 8 races that are closely related with each other and who have been living together for literal ages which is why race doesn't define culture in the slightest but your home country does. The only difference between them are visual and a few racial abilities but they are still similar enough. All 8 are custom made so people would need to adjust to something new but at least there are no personality and cultural differences and it's more of a visual thing which one you choose.

2055148134_EOHbanner.png.530f7a6856f7b2fd0b4861da17014318.png

• Operations Mod
On 5/6/2018 at 7:56 PM, To The Minamobile said:

I've seen this done in a couple of places, but never entirely in the context I'm thinking of. I'd love to see a world where some supernatural creatures are more integrated into mainstream society than others, with those species which are stigmatized being the ones most likely to harm human beings: Werewolves, vampires, and possibly even wendigos.

You should check out DBD then. The whole base of our plot is that creatures like Witches, Humans, and Fae all exist openly in the world - work together, go to school together blah blah. Werewolves, Vampires and Skinwalkers on the other hand still have to stick to the shadows, and can be murdered/harmed openly without much if any repercussion. 

We even have wendigo! Granted the wendigo are just plain monsters that have started haunting the forest outside the small town world section. However, we have a wendigo-based playable species that will be introduced into play soon! 

• Like 1

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

I'm admittedly currently sticking to the whole, "All magical creatures are secrets to the humanfolk - with rare exceptions" setting, but I'm trying to explore the politics between various magical creatures and their ways of concealing themselves for survival (although truth be told I'm really more-or-less aiming for an overarching plot that covers the Unveiling itself - and the subsequent struggles between human and non-human alike). Like, for instance there's an entire organization based on the idea that scientists are trying to augment the human genome to be more like Vampires, Werewolves, Witches, Fae, etc etc. And yet another Org that's basically set up as a crusade to kill anything non-human. 

I want to see more half breeds based off of things aside from Vampires and Werewolves. 

• Like 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/29/2018 at 11:45 AM, CovertSphinx said:

I pictured a Stuffed Bunny coming alive and murdering people Monty Python and the Holy Grail style. Something about the word "critter" makes me think 'cute'. lol

......tbh that's....not too far off from some Fearsome Critters! 🙂

• 4 weeks later...

I love it when boards have races for mythological creatures that are either completely original or based on the less than typical ones. I've seen and joined some that have had Fae and mermaids, which are always fun. I have yet to notice any with wendigo but perhaps I'm simply not looking hard enough? I used to be on a board that was largely member driven and we were able to create a race of our own after a lot of thorough research and hard work. It was a lot of fun and interesting to see what people came up with. I'm hoping that I'll be able to do the same on my own board at some point.