Advertising your site

anthrxmilkshake

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Our members have mostly found us through tumblr ads and affiliate buttons. The amount of times I've had people say "I saw your button and it was so cute - I had to click it!" is...a lot. People say affiliates dont work anymore, but personal experience tells me otherwise. If you affiliate with highly trafficked sites and have a good, eye-catching button, then it should work for you. 

• Like 1

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

On 2/18/2018 at 1:42 PM, Kazetatsu said:

is there a list of resource sites/directories out there? I'm trying to find a variety to link to but the internet is quite big. I've probably missed several good ones.

Commenting so maybe I remember to toss my list at you later.

• Love 1

Great sources in here - so many! Still scanning through some. Twitter is fairly fickle in my opinion and experience, and advertising there 'right' is difficult - with or without tags. It's good for keeping your memberbase or potential members updated on changes though!

Disappointing that so many Tumblrs that promote forum roleplays are jcink/if only, really.

• Agree 1

I'm not sure where our members have come from. I get the feeling it's mostly directories, but we do have a lot of players who don't usually/never have RPed on a forum before, so I'm not sure if we're getting them through tumblr advertising or just people who took a break or were in a changing phase.

tumblr_ovxhy4cZLY1wtsmmno3_r1_100.jpg

As far as where we've gotten our players, to date, it's all been word-of-mouth. I only recently started trying to advertise the one game because it is actually a style that allows for more writing in a wider setting. The other two sites are destined to remain more controlled because they are single plot-driven settings.

Like others, I am still shopping around for good places to advertise my site, but am having difficulties with it. I feel quite at home here at the RPG-Initiative. I don't feel judged on my comments or topics thus making it easy to meet the activity requirements to advertise my sites.

This has been a great topic and thanks to @Sage and @Elena  for the lists and links.

• Thank you 1

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

6 hours ago, webs said:

Disappointing that so many Tumblrs that promote forum roleplays are jcink/if only, really.

My forum is on jcink, so that's probably why there's a disproportionate amount of jcink/if only advertising tumblrs in my list! I'm sure there are tumblrs out there that are like proboard or mybb or some other software only. I just haven't come across them because I haven't been looking. I'll keep my eye out for others though.

Another advertising platform that's recently been coming up is through discord. We had an advertisement posted in our ad section that was a discord rp, and when i opened their server up to post my ad back, it was really surprising? We've gotten some visitors from my recent slew of discord advertising, though no members from it yet. If it ends up becoming a successful means of advertising though, I'll check back.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

7 hours ago, webs said:

Great sources in here - so many! Still scanning through some. Twitter is fairly fickle in my opinion and experience, and advertising there 'right' is difficult - with or without tags. It's good for keeping your memberbase or potential members updated on changes though!

Twitter is very good if you use RP Pimps, who retweet your wanted ads/ advertisement link to 300+ followers.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sage said:

My forum is on jcink, so that's probably why there's a disproportionate amount of jcink/if only advertising tumblrs in my list! I'm sure there are tumblrs out there that are like proboard or mybb or some other software only. I just haven't come across them because I haven't been looking. I'll keep my eye out for others though.

Another advertising platform that's recently been coming up is through discord. We had an advertisement posted in our ad section that was a discord rp, and when i opened their server up to post my ad back, it was really surprising? We've gotten some visitors from my recent slew of discord advertising, though no members from it yet. If it ends up becoming a successful means of advertising though, I'll check back.

That makes sense - I've tried trawling through Google too but didn't find anything active so far. I've also advertised on Discord through an RP Hub of sorts, but I hadn't realised Discord RPs themselves would have an advertisement channel! That's interesting.

6 hours ago, Elena said:

Twitter is very good if you use RP Pimps, who retweet your wanted ads/ advertisement link to 300+ followers.

Having been on Twitter for over half a decade, most of my experience with RP Pimps and watching them is... unfortunately majority negative. Those with over 10k followers are mostly followed by dead or spam accounts (naturally, you still get an audience of sorts at least), attract some... not especially great members (some DMs may never be spoken of again, plus a few plagarists or people who have no experience / etiquette of sorts to deal with pending / denied applications if this is something your site does). Obviously there ARE certainly going to be good members as well, though the Twitter RPbase is quite different from forum typically, especially in those larger followings, this is simply my experience with it. Like I said, it's fickle and there's some 'cultural' barriers between the two forms of RPing, plus Twitter has a VAST number of sub-communities and styles too. Basically depends on their following, which you can mostly tell from the content of the RP Pimp, as well as luck of a sorts. I've had the odd few positive experiences, of course.

• Agree 1

I've had some pretty good success with Reddit, actually. I may have missed it, but I don't think it's been mentioned yet. There's lots of subreddits devoted to RPGs and forums, so it's just a matter of finding the right community to post in.

• Agree 1

Glub glub.

I don't have much experience with reddit advertising! I briefly looked into it once ages ago, but what I found was a community that was mostly against forum rps - they were looking mostly for chat or email or just reddit rps and left a lot of nasty comments on forum ads. @Deep Sea do you have any recommendations on where to start with reddit? If you've had some success with it, I'd like to look into that again knowing it's worked for others.

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon