Hobbies you always wanted to try

Gothic

On 3/1/2018 at 6:30 PM, Sailor V said:

Sewing. I've done the odd occasional bit of altering in the past, but if I had the time, I'd really like to make something.  

On 3/2/2018 at 5:16 AM, Huli said:

Oh boy. Ohhhhh boy. Let's see here.

- I was interested in lace making for a while there, but I don't think I have the patience for it ): alas. I diiiid look into crochet and knit laces, but they just don't have the delicate airiness that I like.

- I say I can sew but I pretty much only know how to work the machine. So...... it would be nice if I could get better at that and actually know wtf I'm doing.

Cross stitch is a nice hobby to try if you're interested in sewing. I like doing it because I can control the size of the stitches better than sewing on other fabrics and you don't need a machine for it. One of the magazines I sometimes get (Cross Stitcher) also has projects where you can practice your skills with other kinds of sewing, which I like.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2018 at 12:06 PM, Icewolf said:

Train my dog to do fly-ball and agility. My current border collie is old (as he's a rescue dog) and has never shown much interest in chasing tennis balls, unlike the dog I had before him. He's also got bad arthritis in one of his back legs so for a collie, he's not that bouncy or active. He prefers to follow scent trails instead. I've never had the space or equipment to do this properly, either.

I'm right there with you when it comes to agility.

We actually got my current dog, an aussie, with the goal of doing agility.  Personality was very important to me and the breeder remarked that, of the two pups I was torn on, Chase was more comfortable responding to commands at a difference.

There were other reasons we picked up Chase, but it DID factor into it. We will have had him for 6 years in June and have never attended an agility show in our lives. On the plus side, he's a great therapy dog and we do library visits from time to time.

I'm too out of shape.

I'm too afraid of busting my teeth to get into parkour. Also, out of shape.

• 3 months later...

Pottery. It looks very soothing and beautiful work, but I just don't have the time or patience to put into it.

lipsbanner.jpg

Red Light District Role-Playing.

Adult role-playing forum.
Fulfill your fantasies in the Red Light District.

• 2 weeks later...

Scuba-diving! I plan on starting this September with my university. I already do a lot of water sports like sailing and white-water kayaking so I figured I should give scuba-diving a shot too. The idea of dropping down into the ocean and not knowing what's under me until I get near the bottom is a little terrifying but I'm hoping it'll be a fun experience. :'D

rsz_nightborn_signature.png.49b292d20e17d3c29707bfecdb8bb800.png

I wish I could be a gymnast or acrobat. It looks so amazing, to do those flips and fly through the air. But I'm a big chicken and way too out of shape to do anything like that at my age. 

Dancing, too. I wish I could dance. I watch dance videos all day long and I just sigh wistfully because I'll never be able to do the things they do. 

Reality is an illusion. 

On 7/17/2018 at 7:42 AM, Rivfader said:

Scuba-diving! I plan on starting this September with my university. I already do a lot of water sports like sailing and white-water kayaking so I figured I should give scuba-diving a shot too. The idea of dropping down into the ocean and not knowing what's under me until I get near the bottom is a little terrifying but I'm hoping it'll be a fun experience. :'D

Scuba diving is a lot of fun. I recommend doing it some place where you can see straight through to the bottom. The only two things that have ever terrified me while diving are the drop at the edge of the continental shelf (talk about staring into the abyss) and ship wrecks. There's something unsettling about both of those things. Do not recommend!

I've always wanted to try surfing some places that actually has waves. If it's even half as fun as other water sports, I think I'll enjoy the heck out of it.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2018 at 12:16 AM, Huli said:

- This is really niche but I'm a calligrapher and I've always wanted to work with metallic foils, like gold leaf and whatnot.

@Huli have you ever considered approaching a local speciality printer to see if they have any gold-leaf leftovers from their foil-blocking? They may also be able to help you acquire at trade rates.

I would love to learn calligraphy. I have the steady hand of a casual dipsomaniac but I write with a fountain pen so I'm at least out of the blocks.

I'd also like to learn some kind of self-defence (I'm a beanpole with a big mouth) and to speak Portuguese. 

Other than that, strongly considering a post-graduate degree in etymology or lexicography. I love words!

omg YES! Archery was always a dream for me. I also wish I had time to learn how to play an instrument. Guitar, piano or violin.

Things I've done in the past but didn't stick to it, but wish I had the time and money to do so are:

1. Making and coloring nails
  2. Knitting
  3. Making Jewelry
  4. Making props for cosplay or dagohir
  5. Sculpting *mainly any form of clay
  6. Painting on canvas
  7. Actually finishing a webcomic

Among others. Maybe one day...

903463525_fish-bottlecopy.png.a7f351980f4f165fa67d95fe6297fae5.png

I'm that person who has to be careful when picking up hobbies, because I inevitably get in too deep; I'm incapable of skimming.  See: the thousands of dollars of digital camera equipment and the hundreds of hours spent learning React for no particular reason other than it seemed like a good next step in Javascriptage.

Also I knit.  I picked it up when I was a junior in college and a friend got an awesome new roommate who taught everyone the basics.  I began with scarves (like you do), moved up to hats, socks, sweaters, the fanciest and most complex of cabley colorwork things, at which point figured this stuff was okay, but was it really handmade if the yarn was store-bought?  This logic led to the purchase of a spindle and a deep dive of the world of spinning -- and if anyone has been looking for a truly relaxing hobby, it's spinning yarn -- but I wasn't really getting the full experience without a spinning wheel (sidenote: long drive to the guy with the wheels for sale on Craigslist -- he was a serious business dollmaker, and his entire house was covered in dolls of various shapes and sizes).  BUT IF SOMEONE ELSE WAS PREPPING THE WOOL, WAS IT TRULY MY PRODUCT?  Enter the bags of raw fleeces, the hand carders, the combs.  And it's not like I've spun all the yarn I've ever knit with since, I just want to be able to do it.  You know, in case civilization collapses, and everyone needs mittens.

All this to say that all that I'm pretty sure the only remaining piece in the sheep-to-sweater process that I haven't taken upon myself for the completionist aspect of it (other than shearing, but I can't actually keep the sheep, so ...), is dyeing.   Unfortunately doing it right requires basically a whole new kitchen and everything that goes in a kitchen ...  But it's on the docket for one of these days.

While I have no love for archery (I'd much rather just shoot firearms), the horseback riding would be pretty cool. Though around here it's pretty expensive.

Offhand there aren't any hobbies I really want to get into at the moment. I have more than enough on my plate as is hobby wise. (I play video games, I go to the range, I've started making bullets myself, I play board games with friends. Plus I work a LOT... there are days where I have spent 16+ hours at work.) 

"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

Bodybuilding. I have made the attempt a few times but seem to lack the time commitment necessary to really make it a thing.

Respice Finem

Can be found causing mayhem and intrugue at Dawnbreak.

image.png.26f869973cedc9bd084f357aedf7c335.png