Social Media Advertising(best tag recommendations & more)

Guest LOVE ME AND DESPAIR

In our process of advertising for our social media outreach(we have a Facebook page, a Twitter, a Pinterest, & a Tumblr) one of the things I've been doing for a little now is looking at the most optimal tags. In our staff section we actually have a listing. I thought I'd share some of them here.

Tumblr

The first important thing to know is this(and I share it only cause a shocking number of people are unaware; myself included up until middle of last year-ish): when choosing tags do it wisely. Only the first five count. Here's some other tips that were posted by my fellow staffer @Kaycakes.

• The very first tag is what will be noticed faster / easier in search.
  • The first five tags are searchable in tumblr and show up in search results.
  • The other tags afterwards are for two things:
    • Searchable within the blog
    • Organizing tags / info within the blog. It's basically like planners this way, using tabs and searchable notes to sift through your own things.

Here are some of the tags we use for various things(ie organization, to share certain things), and followed by it is my list of optimal tags(we use these more often & replaced some others on the list with them such as Forum RP vs Forum Roleplay) gathered by looking at various other tags to see which gave the best results:

Tags We Use Sometimes
   Tags That Can Be Used as First Five - Choose Wisely!

• Historical RP
  • Premium Jcink
  • Jcink Site
  • 18th Century
  • Forum Roleplay
  • Want Ad
  • Character Request
  • India History
  • British History
  • Play by Post RP

Tags For Organizing(note: some can be used for First Five such as Post Spotlight)

• Post Spotlight
  • Subplot Spotlight
  • Plot Dev
  • Char Dev
  • Char Spotlight
  • About RP
  • About Writing
  • Updates
  • News
  • Spies
  • Adventurers
  • British East India Company (or BEIC)
  • Helvetius Intrepid Society (original group specific to SUtD)
  • Yorkshire Fellowship (original group specific to SUtD)
  • Marines
  • india culture
  • period movies
  • period tv show
  • general history
  • religion
  • archaeology
  • culture
  • all things india
  • inspiration

Optimal First Five Tags

• Play By Post RP [gave more/better results than Play By Post]
  • Wanted [gave more/better results than Want Ad(s)]
  • Character Request(s) [Not bad though I do prefer results from Wanted better]
  • Historical RP [gave more/better results than Historical Roleplay]
  • Forum RP [gave more/better results than Forum Roleplay]
  • Jcink Premium or Premium Jcink [both gave same results]
  • 18th Century [gave more/better results than 18th Century RP/Roleplay]
  • Post Spotlight [best choice; also best used to spotlight characters, plots, events, etc. rather than Char. or Event or Plot Spotlight]
  • Quotes of Roleplay or Quotes RP/RP Quotes [Like first better, but second works as well]

Facebook

Admittedly, this one we didn't really have any listings on before. People never really think to use tags on Facebook. However, they do work and you don't even necessarily just have to hashtag something for it to work. Sometimes just mentioning something in the post will get it in results for that topic, but the tags do help too for further outreach. My search into these is basic, and I want to do more again soon to see if maybe results have changed with people using FB more to promote their groups, but for now this is what I have and we use.

Optimal Tags

• 18th Century [has decent results]
  • Roleplaying for Writers and/or Roleplay Writers [both good; lots of writing and RP results]
  • Online Roleplay [another good option]
  • Online Roleplayers [a good option like above; different results]
  • Historical Roleplay(ing) [both work; seem to be same results]
  • Forum Roleplay [good ol' reliable here]
  • Literate Roleplay [far better results than using textbased]
  • Play By Post Roleplay or Play By Post Forum Roleplay [both work; both good results]
  • Jcink Roleplay [better than just Jcink alone]
  • Jcink Premium and/or Jcink Premium Roleplay [both work; like second better than first]
  • Character Spotlights [better than the one adding RP to the end; yet still unsure]
  • Roleplay Post Spotlight [not great, not bad; a good general spotlight option]
  • RP Character Quotes [can put RP at end too, both work; seems the best option]
  • Character Wanted RP [again RP at front or end works; best option I've found]

And that is all I have to offer at the moment. We also use Twitter and Pinterest, but I haven't done any digging into the tagging there to learn the optimal tags. Once I do I'll definitely add them in here. If you have any to add for Twitter or Pinterest, or to the Tumblr or Facebook lists provided? Please suggest them. It'd be a boon for all of us. That's the whole reason I'm sharing this is to help other historical RPs with social media outreach. It's hard enough to be a historical RP in the RP world, I thought that it'd be nice to work together and help each other succeed instead. ^_^

I love you. :love2: Thank you for this, it's wonderful.

I haven't got anything to add.....yet.

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

Hell yeah. I still have my notes somewhere else on this. Jumping in with Reddit and Twitter recs.

With Reddit, it's all about using the right flairs and going to really good subs. I suck at this because reddit has their own language and I'm all stiff about it. Still fun, though. Subs I've looked at (and haven't quite participated in as much yet) are: 

• /r/AskHistory
  • /r/Archaeology
  • /r/CharacterDevelopment
  • /r/ColonialHistory
  • /r/Fantasy
  • /r/GreatRPerStories
  • /r/BadRPerStories
  • /r/Roleplay
  • /r/RPGateway
  • /r/RPG
  • /r/TheHallofFaces

I was obsessed with twitter for a while. Wish I could find my notes on this, but I noticed recently that some of the hashtags are trending more for rp communities. I was mixing with and chatting up the LARPers, DNDers, fantasy mapmakers, chat RPers, and more. This really wasn't bad at all and was fun as hell. I'm going back over my stats on this and noticing the tags that was the most useful were:

• #historicalfiction: Honestly, I recommend taking advantage of genre, and put historical fiction here since we're in history rp coterie. For others, I recommend stuff like #ageofsails, #pirates, #GoT, #medievalfiction or #medieval, #OuATfandom, #victorianera, and more. People actually look for these. 
  • #rp / #rpg: This gets mixed in with twitter rpers, tumblr rpers, gamers, and more, but there are also forum rpers jumping in.
  • #jcink: That's if you use this host. Forum rpers recognise each other on twitter and tumblr by forum hosts. It's the easiest indicator that this is a forum rp, if you're looking for veteran forum rpers or even interest someone who is like "what is this (host)?" for bringing in peeps new to rp.
  • #forumrp: This one wasn't trending as much for a while, but now more and more people are using this. Super useful.
  • #FF: Dude. Friday Follows. Good stuff. You can have personal accounts that usually tweet other things tweet out #FF, or you can network with other forums you really like and tweet #FF them. I would totes recommend using the bigger Twitter trends like this. So, things like day of the week trends like #FF and #motivationalmonday. Also, things that sometimes pop up and go big for the day like. . . um. . .#todayIam or #Iamexcitedabout. Check out events under analytics. I'm seeing #blackhistorymonth and moar.
  • #amwriting: If your forum is much more collaborative / writey in nature, this works. #amwriting is more for writers in general, but it's been co-opted for things like poetry, character development, technical writing, DnD fiction, and all sorts of writing. I use this for "these posts are coming alive! #amwriting" sort of tweets.
  • #india, #britishindia, #vizakhapatnam, #british, etc: Settings! This one is far more unpredictable and really depends on the popularity / context of your settings. Some people could use #California for a gold rush historical, #Appalachia for a Blue Ridge Mtn historical, etc. 
  • #frenchrevolution, #napoleon, #slaverevolt, etc: Period events that are relevant to your period even if it's not showing up in your setting. You can spotlight a character from your forum and be like, this person has experienced the revolution and hashtag it. I haven't used those tags in particular, but something similar. 
  • #shipbuilding, #coopering, etc: Actually, this section of tags I would use super specific terms like materials relevant to a profession, etc. Spotlight professions, materials, resources, universities, and the like! Hell, you can even tag in ship types, name of ships, historical tidbits on why coopers were badasses, and more.

Just keep in mind, it's too easy to get carried away with hashtags and making it look more like a desperate grab for attention than a fun arrangement of tags that specifies the nature of the tweet. Usually no more than 4 and no less than 1, depending on the length of the hashtags. Sometimes I just toss out a hashtag I don't usually use and see what kind of attention it gets, for. . . um. . . reasons. Now if you have linked accounts, like tumblr to twitter and such, sometimes tumblr posts show up on twitter for you without using the tags. Sometimes you get a hell of a lot of impressions on that tweet regardless.

Anyway, what's really helpful is checking out Tweet Activity as well as the Analytics page. It's fun af! I'm adding pics to this post to show what it looks like.

TweetActivityStuddy.png

TweetActivityStuddy2.png

TweetActivityStuddy3.png

TweetActivityStuddy4.png

Edited by Kaycakes
crap. formatting.
  • I read this! 1
  • Love 1

300x80AdBanner.png

home sweet home.

18th century British India rp. Jcink premium.

be geeky with me!

Omg this is amazing. <3

I never thought of advertising on reddit before. 

• Love 1

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

How come I'm not allowed to add more hearts to these posts? These guides are so useful when you're getting set up.

You can also find me at:

• 9 months later...

With Tumblr these days, it seems like any posts with links are less likely to turn up in search results, if at all. Has anyone been finding the same? I've switched to using content source to provide the link.

You can also find me at:

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/29/2018 at 12:46 AM, Kit the Human said:

With Tumblr these days, it seems like any posts with links are less likely to turn up in search results, if at all. Has anyone been finding the same? I've switched to using content source to provide the link.

I've not done advertising on Tumblr in a little while, but I do remember this coming up at some point. . .  I just forget where. Might've been on one of the other resource sites. Either way it sounds like a familiar issue RPers were talking about so I'm starting to wonder if Tumblr did something to effect posts with links. I honestly wouldn't be surprised.