What makes a good rp partner?

Blahblahbertha

What, in your opinion, makes a really good rp partner?  Have you ever dropped a partner you considered great, or kept a partner you didn't?  Why?

For me, being a really good partner means you:

1. add to the plot in meaningful and dynamic ways
  2. have decent, distinguishable characters
  3. are consistent

For me, # 3 is important because I like routine and I like to get excited for my rp.  If I know when to expect it, I can clear time to reply.  I worry less about whether that reply is coming.  And my expectations don't get disappointed.  But I know a lot of people (heck, myself included) can't keep to a super regular schedule.

I have dropped good partners before because our writing styles just weren't meshing, and also because I just got too busy and I don't like rps that are only once-a-month replies.  Or I just lost interest in the genre (rare, since I know my tastes, but it happens).

I have kept on partners who are not consistent, if they were exceptional writers and I loved the plots we were writing, but I usually peter out eventually with those.

• I read this! 2
  • Preach it! 1

My ideal RP partner (or what I think makes a good one):

1. Someone that communicates and wants to get to know me on at least a superficially personal level. I think that becoming friends with your partners helps you learn to navigate their likes and dislikes in writing, and it makes talking about plots much easier. 

2. Someone that is patient but isn't afraid to say when they need something. Sometimes real life gets the best of us and we need a little poking and prodding to get a post out. 

3. Someone that isn't afraid to get excited about a plot and tell me about it. I don't even care if it's our plot, just show that you're excited and passionate about what you're doing. 

4. Someone that writes like me. Maybe not exactly, but if I put in effort, I want my partner to do so too. So many times, I get into serious plot lines with people who promise to push my abilities as a writer but they end up posting lackluster replies so that I carry a story completely or 200 words to my 1200. 

5. Someone that is open to new ideas and isn't one directional. 

I have dropped RPs with my best friend because it was boring to me. I have carried on a year long enemies to lovers romance plot with someone who has quickly become a good friend. I still consider both of them to be great RP partners, but obviously the one that can tease my mind a bit better is my most favorite to write with. I really think it boils down to the connection that you have, and I find that the more that I click with someone's characters, the more excited I am to reply to them. You just have to find styles that work with yours, and then I think it doesn't become so much of a 'chore' to post? If that makes sense? I have some great people that I write with, but there are only one or two that I would bend over backwards to write a story line with because of just how great we click on all levels. Sometimes, I think it's just a feeling. Sometimes, I think external factors get people frustrated with partners. 

• I read this! 2

Ad.png

32 minutes ago, eleholly said:

1. Someone that communicates and wants to get to know me on at least a superficially personal level. I think that becoming friends with your partners helps you learn to navigate their likes and dislikes in writing, and it makes talking about plots much easier. 

2. Someone that is patient but isn't afraid to say when they need something. Sometimes real life gets the best of us and we need a little poking and prodding to get a post out. 

3. Someone that isn't afraid to get excited about a plot and tell me about it. I don't even care if it's our plot, just show that you're excited and passionate about what you're doing. 

I like number one but haven't always found that it makes talking about plots easier for some reason.  What I've found is that people don't tend to talk a lot about plots if you don't open that door up right at the beginning and keep it open. 

Number 2 & 3 are also great.  Basically good communication is wonderful, and I think I've lost a lot of decent plots because my partners weren't comfortable coming to me for one reason or another.  I do try to speak up for myself more than I used to, though.

• I read this! 2

• Admin

@Dragon..... I mean legit it's my type of partner. This is actually my standard set of rules for a "true" partner. Like True True. These are the people that learn how my brain works sort of true true.

1. Able to deal with my ebb and flow of interest in plots. This is huge for me. Because if a plot loses steam or either of us lose interest then lets move on and find something more interesting.
  2. Able to deal with me focus posting. There are dozens of reasons that I may only want to focus on one plot, most of the time it's all I have time to reply and focus on and that needs to be enough roleplaying sometimes.
  3. Fast posts. I can't do the shit where I wait forever and ever and I try not to do the same (although sometimes, some characters it just fucking happens) but if I'm waiting more than a week on average for a reply you can guarantee that I'm not going to be particularly interested in the plot. I've full stopped RPing on anything but my 1x1 Fun Times because group posting is too exhausting and takes up too much of my time. A plot that can take me 1-5 days to complete with a single partner can take months to (and sometimes never do) happen.
  4. Ability to bullshit in chat about lulz moments, sad moments and possible future plots depending on the characters and fun what ifs. Share songs and videos and things that remind you of characters. You know the BS.
  5. Contribute to the plot and don't expect me to drive everything. This is super important because if I'm making up all of the NPCs for all of the settings, all of the game changing move forward moments then I get mentally exhausted and stop trying. I love the fluffy bits and the thought provoking mini-conversations but the big story events and the outer elements are just as important.

Overall just a fun time. Really it's hard for me to say about RP partners. People that click click and those that don't don't. Sometimes I just need a better character to play with to get really into it.

• Love 2

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I think I might be in the lone group of where I don't have a writing partner. I like to plot with and involve as many other members, and their characters, as I can with mine own. True, some are easier, but I like it when you can bounce ideas back and forth and then before you know it you have this plot or a general idea of what your characters will accomplish in a thread/plot. Don't just shut me down, if you don't like a plot, work with me to figure out something! Get excited about out characters interacting! Generally I can rp with someone who has a different style, as long as the plot/thread is exciting and we are both having fun.

• I read this! 1
  • Love 1

Find me at:

Sunrises and Sunsets - Never-Ending Stories

An ideal RP partner offers creativity and flexibility, willingness to plot together, to discuss, to exchange ideas. But first and foremost, reliability and consistency. If possible, also some common interests....

• I read this! 1

Like everyone else I like communication and consistency, but I also like writing partners who's posts I can find engaging. I don't mind if the post is long or short, as long as it can pull me into the scene and help carry some of the action. I'd assume these writers are better than me at that, as I don't think I can always keep up the energy to make my posts my best.

• I read this! 1

15 hours ago, Morrigan said:

Contribute to the plot and don't expect me to drive everything. This is super important because if I'm making up all of the NPCs for all of the settings, all of the game changing move forward moments then I get mentally exhausted and stop trying. I love the fluffy bits and the thought provoking mini-conversations but the big story events and the outer elements are just as important.

This is probably one of the biggest ones for me - combined with the one regarding response times. I lose interest if I have to wait forever for a reply. Partner implies two-way street, not one person doing it all!

14 hours ago, Misty said:

I think I might be in the lone group of where I don't have a writing partner. I like to plot with and involve as many other members, and their characters, as I can with mine own. True, some are easier, but I like it when you can bounce ideas back and forth and then before you know it you have this plot or a general idea of what your characters will accomplish in a thread/plot. Don't just shut me down, if you don't like a plot, work with me to figure out something! Get excited about out characters interacting! Generally I can rp with someone who has a different style, as long as the plot/thread is exciting and we are both having fun.

There are people that I write with more than others at my game because they are the ones that actively engage with me or our stories overall. They come to me with plots and ideas and I go to them. We talk BTS (behind-the-scenes), plot, plan, and then write. They respond to tags quickly and always move the story or mini-plot forward. Since we run site-wide plots as well as mini-character-focused plots, there's plenty of writing opportunities.

Still some plots dry up or stall. Focus gets lost. When that happens, it's time to have one of us write the scene to a close if it's story impacting or delete it and move on if it doesn't have major impacts. 

So, what makes good RP partner(s)?

• Consistency
  • Fluidity, flexibility
  • Proactive
  • Good communicator, engages in the whole process
  • Timeliness in responses
  • Creativity!
  • I read this! 3

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

As long as my partner splits the work of managing NPCs for the thread, and is vaguely communicative about the plot/discussion, I'm happy. 

• I read this! 2

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

For myself I tend to look for someone that I jive with. Someone who cares about the person behind the character that they're writing with. Someone who I can tell is actually reading my posts and enjoying what we're doing and is right there the moment with me. Who isn't afraid to jump into the deep end with me and some of the crazy ideas that can be concocted up.

They're the kind of person who's more likely to care about quality over quantity and isn't a huge stickler for long posts that are 90% word vomit because they want to seem like they're cool and edgy because they can write a 1000+ word post that doesn't go anywhere. RPing shouldn't feel like a chore and when it does, something's not working like it's suppose too.

• I read this! 1

Places you can find me at.

A Play by Post V5 VTM RP

sister-site.png.68d0a6b60fc4e963bee0749be8f8c22f.png

definitely someone that can take the reigns along with me. part of the reason rp is so fun is because it's totally unexpected what your partner will do next. so i love people that aren't afraid to take initiative in a thread, it sucks to be the only one to do that sometimes. and i try to force myself to do the same.

other than that, PATIENCE! i'm a slow typer and i really pick over my words, when i have a partner that's patient with that it's super nice. :3 

• 4 months later...

Communication is key, I found! If they just disappear or don't talk ideas out with you, things can get messy quick. 

Yeah, I agreee. Communication is a good thing. I like to bounce ideas back and forth and feed off of each other, so I guess having someone you can get along with is a god idea as well.

Find me at:

Sunrises and Sunsets - Never-Ending Stories

• 4 weeks later...

There are a whole host of desirable skills that I can think of in an ideal partner, so rather than define the ceiling, I'll go with defining the floor. The minimum stuff I look for that I think will lead to good roleplay

1. Flexible. Someone that understands edits/revision are part of this writing game, and doesn't mind making updates and isn't shy about letting me know when I need to do the same. Someone that can throw things into the story and respond to the things that I throw in as well

2. Consistent. The pacing doesn't matter. Sometimes I'm in for something fast and sometimes something slow. It's more about knowing that if we agree to a post within x number of days, I can expect to see a post within x number of days. I love gorgeous writing, who doesn't? But I like an engaging story more, and consistency/reliability is a big part of that for me

• Agree 1

ALHgt52.gif