What other forums have a thread description field like Zetaboard?

Deep Sea

Took a trip down memory lane today, decided to log into an old Zeta forum I made for my friends in '09 (no one used it except me, lol). I forgot that when making a new thread, that you had a field for thread title, thread description (basically a subtitle that displays in the thread listing right under the thread title), and message. It's really nice! I'm not really familiar with all the different forum softwares though, so does anyone know who else besides Zeta has that feature, and if I'd be able to implement it on IPS?

Glub glub.

I do not know about IPS specifically (I don't see why not, however), but, from my experience, anything you have access to the back-end source coding and the database structure for, you can usually add a description field to topics on. Basically, it's just an extra info field stored in a topic table or the like. Now, how easy it is to do it, that varies between software, because of course, you'll need the front-end field, and then the back-end needs to know what to do with the extra $_POST data, otherwise it just ignores it, plus you'll need to have it load with other relevant topic information and be editable, but that's the tl;dr non-specific version of making it work. You could theoretically look at how the subject field is handled on any specific software, and essentially copy it. Some software has a mod specifically for that, if I remember correctly, PHPBB had one at some point, I may be wrong (it's been a while), SMF does, MyBB does, too.

Hope that helps!

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

Most forums have it. Jcink has it, I think Icyboards/ Proboards has it too. Strange that you have seen it only at Zetaboards... I have seen it everywhere. Usually the description subtitle is where we tag for whom is the thread.

Edited by Elena

• Admin

It's probably more that people make decisions to hide descriptions in themes then anything however I prefer not to use descriptions for posts. I think having the tags in the title is simpler but I follow rules.

For IPS @Deep Sea https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/7765-nb40-topic-description/

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.