Computer vs Paper

Gothic

I was wondering if anyone had a preference for organising their lives through a rl journal or if they preferred an online one?

Both have perks. I like being able to physically hold something and write using a pen (despite my awful handwriting!). Although online tends to mean that I'm unlikely to lose it. 

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

Guest LOVE ME AND DESPAIR

My preference leans more toward paper x pen than computer. I feel like I tend to keep on-board with it more. (Well before I fell off the BuJo wagon; working on getting back on it)

The only place I also keep computer organization though is appts. Even if I put them in a notebook, I'll have them in my Google Calendar as well cause then I get notifications on other devices like tablet or phone. Plus I can easily input them into the Calendar when I'm out.

The downside though to my love of paper x pen is that my JRA affects my hands so writing a lot is problematic(I also love writing my blog posts, book reviews, RP posts, etc.) and some things like pinched nerves. It's rough on my love of handwriting things. I do what I can but I have to do more online than I'd prefer, but thank goodness for Google Drive/Calendar, etc. in that regard.

Huh, this is a hard one. I think our lives are so digital that it would be easy to say the preference is computer.

What I like about Paper:

• Handwriting. They say that it improves coordination and memory when you write by hand. There's a satisfaction in seeing ink bleed from the tip or feeling the glide of colour pencil against paper. This kind of thing feeds the soul, even if it's just making lists! 
  • Composition. This is purely on an artistic level. I like playing around with different papers (grid, stocks) in a sort of collage thing and putting together writings, pictures, lists, doodles, washi tape, index and journal cards. I love the use of mod podge; the one I have is antique matte, waterbased. 
  • Shopping Therapy. Picking up random stuff above from art stores. I usually hate shopping, but if it's books or arty things, I'm down. There are always constant sales. There are also freebie prints online errywhere.
  • Inspiration and Immersiveness. So, let's say you have a rp journal for tracking ideas, plots, schemes, and threads. You can grab this right off your nightstand and doodle your thoughts into it. If you've already put decorative themes on it for your rp, it seems kind of as immersive as people's various skins for their sites. It keeps me feeling inspired.

What I like about Digital:

• Better Organisation. You can pick a program and use it to organise your crap. Gdocs, Evernote, etc. This is probably the most streamlined way to stay on track. For example, on Drive, you can make as many folders as you want to organise your docs, sheets, etc. In RL? It's a bit more inconvenient to have a bunch of journals, folders, and planners for multiple things. Bulky (but I still love it).
  • Multiple Access. Getting into one planner/journal from various devices immediately. You can grab your phone as soon as you think of something and log into gdocs. This sort of access is also much more convenient and practical for disabilities.
  • Collaboration. For projects, events, and rp, it's far easier to collaborate together if it's online obviously. We actually have 'Staff Planner' section on our forum in conjunction with Basecamp. So we got notified of deadlines and we put together pretty things, too. It wasn't formal, it was just a thang. Fun.
  • Graphics. Using gimp or photoshop to put together collage, demos, headliners, relevant logos or images, etc, is incredible for this. It's fun to do and actually pretty easy, also very good for practicing if you're sort of a newb like me.

See, you can't ask me to choose! However, I will say, I am online far more than I use physical items.

• I read this! 1

300x80AdBanner.png

home sweet home.

18th century British India rp. Jcink premium.

be geeky with me!

Ah, the ongoing discussion of paper vs digital!  I have come to find that, for me, it truly is a hybrid system or none at all. There are certain things I find easier to do in the digital sense than I do in the traditional pen and paper format, and there are things that I prefer paper for to digital. 

• Composing things such as post starters/ post replies/event ideas/arc projections area easier done for me in a place like Google Docs because it is easier for me to create a formal note style. I also have a tendency to think and communicate at a very rapid pace, so the fact my fingers can type 80-90 wpm at any given time means that I am able to throw down a blurb at rate quick enough for me to wrestle with all the things in my brain.
  • Having files/folders/shared documents between board staff and members leads to being able to get people in on the planning process. 

It is easy to combine digital mediums such as Google Doc + Forum board area devoted to planning, not to mention visual mediums such as Pinterest to archive a variety of information for later use. We also have something called Basecamp that was pretty instrumental in our earlier planning days. It isn't used as much now (poor, poor digital child) but this is another great avenue for taking a variety of internet things and putting them all in one area for ease of access. I used to love the way you could compile a research list in that bad boy!  That being said, I admit, my dominant way to initiate planning does begin the good old fashioned way.

• I carry paper with me everywhere. I keep a paper planner of important numbers, dates, appointments, shopping lists, etc because I find the more I write something down? The more I remember it. I also find that seperating various planner needs into books/journals helps me to focus. Like I am still working on composing my BUJO for 2018, but in addition to this I have a planner that focuses souly on goal planning and another that is a catch all in my purse for every little thing. The BUJO and the goal planning each have areas (or will have areas) specifically related to my online time. 
  • I make lists based on each character I have with to owe/to write/to consider sections.  For as much as I use the internet, if an idea catches me, it catches me! I have pens all around my room, work bag, purse, etc.
  • My creativity is fueled by tangible items. Color coding with a highlighter, doodling, coloring, using washi tape, stickers, etc all help to get the brain going and fill a need to create something.
  • Checking off or crossing off things on a list is so fucking fulfilling. 
  • I have an obsession with pretty stationary products, stationary, notebooks, and paper. 

• I read this! 1
  • Love 2

NewSig.png
Welcome to the City of Destiny

Wedding Season 1797
Forming Families Among the Rumors and the Joy
Will you ally for love or money, business or pleasure, peace or war?

Each of these posts has helped me when it comes to organising myself. <3

Nothing to add, but seriously. Thank you. 

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer pen and paper to the computer because I am more likely to forget about something on the computer than I do if I have physical copy of something. I think it's because files have a tendency to get 'lost' on a computer as I am always saving images and other things from the 'net. Because something's in digital form, to me, it seems to have less value than a physical item and so I'm more likely to 'forget' about it - in physical form, I can see it even when I'm not using it, so it's like how Giles in Buffy described why he preferred books over computers.

• Agree 1

Studies show that hand writing something activates different neural pathways than typing. As such, in the case of planning and journaling, it is actually more beneficial to hand write!

pvZERW.gif