The Initiative's 2018 Roleplay Community Awards Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arceus

Let's pretend I'm making a subaccount mod

That's basically what it is, so the angle works.

What information do you want about subaccounts right there in front of you when you first view the subaccount management screen? What do you wish was on that screen on Jcink and the like, or should be considered important enough to list out on management page? These subaccounts cannot PM or be directly contacted in any way. Anything that can qualify as a custom field should not be suggested, I can't retroactively guess what admins are going to put into the custom fields section. I suppose like age and gender are sort of standard, but chances are you know that off the top of your head anyway.

Along similar lines, anything you really wish SA mods could do and don't? -shrug- I got nothin' on that but maybe there's some odd functionality someone wishes was a thing. And any thoughts on what sorts of admin settings and controls should be available?

So, yeah. Shoot. Preferably with Tootsie Rolls.

Eh. I'll start us off!

You may already have some of this in mind (if so, roll your eyes at me and ignore)

-- any alerts/@tags etc (if not already redirected to main account, which depending on how you do this, they could be).

-- Group the character is in

--------if possible like factions,  and/or alignment? maybe? idk this may be a custom field thing, I'll admit that

-- Maaaybe something like last post date? (is that even possible???) for people who cycle through characters/are watching activity requirements

On the admin control side of things

-- Limits on how many accounts/characters can be created

-- Would it use the site's member groups or create special character groups within the mod? Depending on how you're coding this thing.

-- Maybe a way to mark certain (small) fields to display on the management page? (this may not be remotely possible)

Offers a cadbury egg instead.

If I think of anything else I'll come back later. aha

• Thank you 1

Mod => Modification, software thing, not staff thing, sorry for confusion! -gives a cookie- Sorry!

@Yume because it's not actually an account in the traditional sense, they'd need their own groups/roles.

What I've got so far for non-custom subaccount info data, is like name, avatar, [alliance/department/rank, these are all separate but the admin can turn one, two, or all of them off if they only need one/don't need any], post count, last posted date is also doable, creation and accepted dates, most likely the ACP will need its own acceptance system because it is not actually an account in the traditional sense of one. Yeah.

I may be able to make custom fields optionally display on the main management page, but I'm not sure how... ... fuck, what are words, uh, how viable? it'd be ultimately, like if I end up structuring the management page with a table and some smart user inputs too many custom fields it'll break the board... ... confines? Tables. Whatever. Things.

A way to easily transfer between sub-accounts so that you don't have to log in and out to switch between them.

(For the mini-profile in posts, if it is possible)

- A field linking your character's profile.

- A field linking your writer's info.

- A field linking your plot page.

On my site, I also have race, gender, character's current home, character's age, whether they're single, in a relationship or not interested sections in the mini-profile. (These should also be adaptable/editable, in case they don't fit the site, or if the admin decides that they don't want to show them.) I'm on icyboards and one of the problems with the mini-profile as I have it means that these fields show up on the main ooc account where they don't make much sense, really - if they can show up only on the sub-accounts for characters, then that would make it better.)

I think that the main account that the sub-account is attached to should show up so that's it's clear who's writing the character. I did have issues where I was deceived once by someone pretending to be two different people so it's important that I know this isn't happening, and would be fair to anyone using the site, too. I suppose it would be alright if it could be deactivated if rpers wanted some of their characters to be anonymous and the admin should have the option of enabling it or disabling it depending on the culture of the site they want to create.

As I don't use jcink, I'm not exactly sure how a sub-account mod would work on there, but these are features I'd like to see in a sub-account mod.

• Thank you 1

If anyone is interested in keeping up with this, I've started building it and here's what it does:

- No need to switch, at all; in fact, it can't! Manage all your subaccounts from one central location on the parent account.

- SEPARATE DISPLAY OF MEMBER COUNT VS CHARACTER COUNT. Yeah there are 114 characters across 7 members? It'll say that.

- Select poster via drop-down on posting screen. Edit any post made by a character you own.

- Built-in application; either can be set to run off shipper-style app, full bio app, or not require an app at all.

- Shipper apps will auto-post themselves when they're done and or approved, so they need a board ID to post these in.

-- If no app is selected, the system just asks for name, alliance/dept/rank info, and avatar image, done, go play (bio fields are available if enabled after creation). If shipper is selected, it displays shipper fields, and if bio app is selected, it'll show all the fields right off the bat. If a user tries creating a character account on an app site without an app (whichever it is) filled out, it'll kick back with a "No, do the thing first." Unfortunately it's not smart enough to read a cruddy app and inform the member they ought do it RIGHT, too.

- If you're curious, there's a tick box to mark a character done, so they can save and edit and save and edit however many times as they want and it won't log it for approval/usage until they tick the box.

- Approval queue; with new accounts awaiting approval, admins and mods are informed via alert. Approve, reject, or ask for changes straight from ACP management.

- Enable, rename if desired, and add, edit, or delete: alliances, units/departments, ranks. Staff can move characters around within them. Ranks are children of departments/units, dpt/units are children of alliances, but you dont have to use all three, and entries without a parent won't flip out. (These be member groups.)

- Easily transfer a character from one player to another; nothing's overwritten.

- Denote bio fields that cannot be edited after acceptance.

- Input custom biography field options only available to character accounts: text input, textarea, select box, or file upload. If you're that type of visual player that wants a thousand pictures, have your thousand pictures, uploadable right to the board.

- Rearrange what order the fields display in, both when editing/creating, and when viewing profiles.

- Easily find creation date, accepted date, and last posted date.

- Actually automatic thread tracker. It'll add a thread a character posts to, to its thread tracker, on post. Add notes and stuff to the tracker entry for thread summaries and whatnots.

-- Parent accounts dont get this functionality, that's what the notify options are for.

- Alerts for users when a character is accepted and ready for play, or rejected.

- Member's list automatically arranges itself into a who's who list. Player information is displayed pretty clearly in multiple locations across the board.

- All templates can be rearranged and customised to one's liking.

-thumbs up- Here we go, gimme like a month.

• I read this! 2
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, Arceus said:

If anyone is interested in keeping up with this, I've started building it and here's what it does:

- No need to switch, at all; in fact, it can't! Manage all your subaccounts from one central location on the parent account.

- SEPARATE DISPLAY OF MEMBER COUNT VS CHARACTER COUNT. Yeah there are 114 characters across 7 members? It'll say that.

- Select poster via drop-down on posting screen. Edit any post made by a character you own.

- Built-in application; either can be set to run off shipper-style app, full bio app, or not require an app at all.

- Shipper apps will auto-post themselves when they're done and or approved, so they need a board ID to post these in.

-- If no app is selected, the system just asks for name, alliance/dept/rank info, and avatar image, done, go play (bio fields are available if enabled after creation). If shipper is selected, it displays shipper fields, and if bio app is selected, it'll show all the fields right off the bat. If a user tries creating a character account on an app site without an app (whichever it is) filled out, it'll kick back with a "No, do the thing first." Unfortunately it's not smart enough to read a cruddy app and inform the member they ought do it RIGHT, too.

- If you're curious, there's a tick box to mark a character done, so they can save and edit and save and edit however many times as they want and it won't log it for approval/usage until they tick the box.

- Approval queue; with new accounts awaiting approval, admins and mods are informed via alert. Approve, reject, or ask for changes straight from ACP management.

- Enable, rename if desired, and add, edit, or delete: alliances, units/departments, ranks. Staff can move characters around within them. Ranks are children of departments/units, dpt/units are children of alliances, but you dont have to use all three, and entries without a parent won't flip out. (These be member groups.)

- Easily transfer a character from one player to another; nothing's overwritten.

- Denote bio fields that cannot be edited after acceptance.

- Input custom biography field options only available to character accounts: text input, textarea, select box, or file upload. If you're that type of visual player that wants a thousand pictures, have your thousand pictures, uploadable right to the board.

- Rearrange what order the fields display in, both when editing/creating, and when viewing profiles.

- Easily find creation date, accepted date, and last posted date.

- Actually automatic thread tracker. It'll add a thread a character posts to, to its thread tracker, on post. Add notes and stuff to the tracker entry for thread summaries and whatnots.

-- Parent accounts dont get this functionality, that's what the notify options are for.

- Alerts for users when a character is accepted and ready for play, or rejected.

- Member's list automatically arranges itself into a who's who list. Player information is displayed pretty clearly in multiple locations across the board.

- All templates can be rearranged and customised to one's liking.

-thumbs up- Here we go, gimme like a month.

Since you can't switch, does that mean you can set everything up - Avatar, mini pro, etc. directly from your parent account for any character?

That's a feature jcink desperately needs.

Yep. All included in the management page. Character biography sheet is in there, too, if the staff set one up.

By the way, as an unintended side-effect, this modification now also handles shipper templates. Your members never have to touch a shipper template again. Design it however you want by changing the template for it right in the theme. Edit the post and update the information without breaking the code.

Eeeyup.

On 2/25/2018 at 12:52 PM, Arceus said:

Yep. All included in the management page. Character biography sheet is in there, too, if the staff set one up.

By the way, as an unintended side-effect, this modification now also handles shipper templates. Your members never have to touch a shipper template again. Design it however you want by changing the template for it right in the theme. Edit the post and update the information without breaking the code.

Eeeyup.

I am pretty sure I'm in love with this. Just in case I ever start a site again, are you writing this only for SMF? I've been going back and forth about whether I would want to continue using SMF as I did years ago or switch to MyBB and this is very persuasive ...

@Citrine, unfortunately, yes, it'll be SMF only. I'm not confident in my modding capabilities on other software to try. Initially this was intended as a replacement for the original SubAccounts mod on SMF for the upcoming 2.1 version, as the SubAccount mod itself has broken on a fundamental level on 2.1. It will be backwards compatible with 2.0, though.

If you do ever decide to run an SMF site again, I am absolutely around and glad to help if you need it!

And! Welcome to The Initiative!

Okay, I wanted to update on this and how it's coming along, complete with screenshots and everything, so, I bring good tidings and screenshots! You know, just so you know I may be slow, but I do what I say I will! xD BIG POST.

I stopped development on this for a while, as SMF 2.1 is not believed to be reaching RC stage, the stage at which the features and functions are locked in and it's just fixing bugs that's left (and thereby it is safe to mod on it), in another year, perhaps a bit longer. Due to this, I don't necessarily want to continue creating it for 2.1, albeit tbfh I don't think anything they do to it will break it (I pushed everything I could away from the main bulk of SMF's files into their own, thereby it should work flawlessly unless they severely alter how posting operates on it, which I don't expect they will). However, due to this it is not recommended to use 2.1 in production and thereby I will be swapping from creating it on 2.1 to creating it on 2.0. It works seamlessly between one and the other, as it stands, so I think a 2.0 version should work more or less right out of the box on 2.1 when it's ready.

I may, however, scratch what I've done and recreate everything, because tbh I have no idea what I was doing, at this point, and I see now how I could've done some things better. I will say, the SMF character mod will be an Initiative exclusive, this will be the only place you can find the download for it. Some features and functionality mentioned above will not be in the first iteration but in a second or third. Not because I can't do it, but because I'm one person and I gotta live, too.

All of these screencaps are from the 2.1 version, the final 2.0 version may look a bit different, but these are the functions I've gotten working already. Even if I do rewrite it from the ground-up again, it'll at least mostly resemble its beta 2.1 incarnation, because I am a lazy and I'll be using beta 2.1 char mod as a blueprint more or less.

screen1.jpg

This is the main character management screen. Characters that are unfinished or in the ACP approval queue will appear pink like here.

screen2.jpg

This here is a rough "profile" template for characters. The smiley face up there in the right corner is a custom image upload field, so if you want extra images besides the avatar, your members can just upload them right into the character profile, no image hosting issues here Jim.

screen3.jpg

This is the character creation screen. Users can edit and save as many times as they want to build their character bio, and it won't be sent for admin approval until the "Complete" tick-box is checked and it's saved with it ticked. This, on 2.1, sends an alert to the staff team that a character is awaiting approval, and on 2.0 will display a message at the top of the board for staff. In the approval queue, there's a link to the character, an approval button, and a PM button, so you don't have to hunt down the player's PM option in their drop-down to find it.

screen4.jpg

This is the main character view in the ACP. It lists all the characters created on your site, who plays them, what alliance/department/rank they're under, post counts, creation date, accepted date, and the ability to edit characters from the ACP is also a thing. Again, approval pending characters are pink. Characters that haven't been marked for approval yet do not appear at all. On posting screens, characters that are not marked approved don't appear in the list.

screen5.jpg

This is the alliances management page. There are three tiers of grouping available, alliance, department, and rank, designed after Nova's group system. Each group tier has its own badge, colour, and description. Whatever the last colour is, is what the character's name colour will be. Ergo, if one character has a rank colour, that is what it'll use, but the other character that only has an alliance colour will use the alliance colour. All badges display.

screen6.jpg

This here is the department screen. You can rename alliance, department, and rank, throughout the system, so if you need them called something else, just... call them something else.

screen7.jpg

Rank page.

screen8.jpg

This is the adding new department page. The new rank page looks like this, too. Alliances do not have parents.

screen9.jpg

This is where you set up your character bio. It gives the field name, the field key for custom theme templating, the description, and field type. Image upload field types will upload into the character_images folder in the root directory, denoted as to what they are by things like avatar_1_randomhashhere, or sideic_1_randomhash, so that you can tell what image is what. When one image is reuploaded, the original is deleted, as are all images related to a character when the character is deleted, so you don't have to worry about cleaning up the character_images folder, it takes care of itself.

screen10.jpg

This is the adding new field screen. The auto-field list takes all the character biography fields and displays them ordered by display position. Excluding a field from the auto-field list causes it to not display automatically in this auto-list, and will instead force it to be called manually. This is useful for things such as music fields or image fields where the music needs to be placed in a flash player, or the image placed in a certain location. The auto-field list will place the small fields beside the avatar, and the larger ones under it, so I'm sure most people won't really be using the automatic one because aesthetics (don't feel bad, I won't be using the automatic one either).

Later, custom bio fields will be able to be denoted as the basis for an auto-list. These will list all the characters by a specific field, creating an automatic list based on that field (ergo, face claims). Automatic ranking can be turned on or off, and will arrange characters by alliance, then department, then rank, for military-esque games. Auto-tallies also will happen. This way, anyone can get automatic face claim lists without a single inkling of the mechanics of how to do it (you can still do it manually if you know how). Remember, characters are not separate accounts; they cannot be logged into, they don't have passwords or permissions or email addresses. Everything goes through the player account, and character-related controls are all in the character mod's controls. Moderation actions are listed under the player account. Banning the player bans all their characters. Member groups can be made on both sides, but only one side will affect characters.

There is also a transfer feature, that will move a character from one player to another. You might've seen it, but, there's also a converter from SubAccounts - the way this works is, it'll try matching custom profile fields to custom biography fields and try to move data from one system to the other, copy over the avatar, move posts over, and then delete the original subaccount. You will lose field data between one and the other if they are not called the same thing (name, not key), because computers can only do what we tell them to, and it needs a perfect match or it won't move anything. Backups backups backups.

I don't have a time-line for this, but, tbh if I just sit down and do it... lol I did move it from 2.1 to 2.0 and it works flawlessly out of the box, the templates are just awry, but given it's been nigh half a year since I touched anything on it, I will probably rewrite it. Just to save my sanity.

• Fuck Yeah! 1
  • Love 1

Holy crap, Arceus. Looks great!

I do have a suggestion, though as I've never used SMF before I don't even know if it would be possible to do or not. The ability to allow for custom posting templates for characters. Basically, you'd be able to input the HTML into two separate fields, which would then wrap themselves around a post made by that character if a post is made with that character and with that template selected. Times like this when I really wish the site I used to be on was still open just to grab screenshots of it, but alas that domain was sold long, long ago and can't log in using the wayback machine.

If this actually gets done, I'd consider trying SMF just to try it, as it would render subaccounts useless and I've been pining for this sort of system for years now. Years.

@kjSage, actually this functionality is already available in SMF via templates if you know what you're doing. With SubAccounts, you'd check to see if it's a subaccount, but same principle, and then use a different surrounding HTML in the post area. Because custom fields are also pulled in threads by default, whether you're using SubAccounts or the Character Mod, you can put character images right in the posting template, too. If you want selectable, differing templates, that's a whole other ballgame and would require its own mod, but it is doable and not really something that belongs on the character mod's shoulders.

The character mod should be ready for beta testing sometime tonight or in the morning. I don't have much left.