Members w/o Shippers

Quell

Personally, I just keep a general "behind the scenes" type board where people can post thread idea requests, plotters, shippers, or any other form of plot/character-related planning they wish. This way the member can decide how they want to interact with the community in that regard. Then again, I'm also used to more than "Picture - name - age - 3 sentence description" in the profile to go on when I poke around for characters to interact with.  If I see somebody joined, made a character, and hasn't tried jumping in, I usually let it go for a bit to let the member breathe - but if I happen to catch online at the same time I'll casually greet them (as I would any of my other more established members) and try to get them talking more about their character by asking specific questions that could lead into plotting ideas. This way the brainstorming comes naturally instead of me scaring the member by jumping into the meat and bones of HEY I WANNA PLOT WITH YOU WILL YOU BE MY SQUISHY.

• I read this! 2
  • Love 2

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

On 2/24/2018 at 6:10 PM, Thyme said:

We've recently had an influx of people on my board who do applications and have characters accepted... and then stop. They don't make shippers; they don't plot in other people's shippers; they don't join the open threads; they don't even poke around for threads in the cbox. 

I'm wondering if there's something I can do to help them. I don't mind PMing people, but I also feel like that is really intense coming from an admin? Even if it's for plotting? I don't want to scare people away, but I also don't want to have someone sitting and twiddling their thumbs wishing they had threads and plots and not having any... :( 

I think the issue is more about Drive-By Applicants, than the use of 'shippers.  Regardless what method is employed to help generate activity on a site, there'll always be those people whose attention wanes shortly after they've submitted an application. 

For them, that might be the best part of roleplay... who knows?   Kind of like Grandpa in 'The Lost Boys', who went out to the garage. Started up the car's ignition. Let it idle for two minutes. Then turned it off again and said: "That's as close to town as I like to get."

If people actually WANT to write on a roleplay site, they'll write. If not, they won't. And there's really no magic to change that.

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 1

"Of all that is written, I love only what a man has written with

his own blood."  Friedrich Nietzsche ~ Thus Spake Zarathustra

3paIAn.gif 3pasUm.png 3ica7j.gif 3pa1UW.png 

• 2 months later...

This I think is where things like Discord and the chatbox are handy. I have no issues with members plotting in my chatbox. If that is what works for them and gets them excited, plotting, and posting then by all means go for it! Some places I know don't like it in the chatbox, so I think Discord is important. If reading a character app and there is a spark of an idea and they haven't joined the discord yet, I will invite them to it via pm or the chatbox. Usually I have found just suggesting a method to plot will start the ball rolling for them and others and ends up working out well.

vCblB2.png

canon characters and oc's welcome

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. 

If they don't want to get involved, a shipper/plotter isn't going to get them to start. 

• Agree 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

At this point for me, if a shipper isn't a required part of the application, i'm not making one. All the sites I'm on and have joined lately have a discord with specific plotting channels, and I've always done best with actually talking instead of posting in a shipper. To me, it's just become more work, and I'm super tired of jumping through hoops - I just want to write! I'd rather spend all that time it takes me to find a template, fill it in, update with new characters, reply to threads, fix codes etc. etc. , to actually plot with other people. 

Also, I ran into the problem of "shippers" being just that. Romance isn't the only thing I want to plot, if I plot it at all. Most of the replies were "we should work something out i love him!" or "I didn't know what to say but our characters know each other in canon so hi". 

• Agree 1
  • Love 1