Discord Bots for Forum focused Discords

Bezyle

So a few colleagues and I were discussing discord bots and how people use them for their discord servers. I have seen people use few in the other servers that I often venture, I have even found some roleplay groups that do everything on discord and don't use a site at all which was somewhat unique and looked aesthetically pleasing. My server employs a total of 11 bots one of which I script myself and is not an official bot. What kind of bots do you use for your discord server? Do you use a plethora of bots or just one or two? How many bots are too little and how many is too much?

image.png.71fa70d70908da5c5ba8671a58e70f5f.png

We also name them after the deities for our roleplay. Fain or Dynobot is useful for logging specific events, and moderation. If you have a massive influx of members and want to control what they can and can't see role management is a must, he auto assigns a role that will determine what parts of the discord new users are allowed to see. (Such as restricting new people from the NSFW content or keeping new members out of conversations until they have decided that they want to stay on the forum to prevent your ideas from being grabbed by others and things like that. (I apologize if that seems paranoid but I have seen it happen.) Fall or Nightbot is also suitable for moderation in that he controls the content of the text channels you put him in. If you only want a particular kind of link in an individual channel, he will only allow that link. So If you don't want people spamming your general chat area with images, youtube videos, and things of that nature. Fall will automatically delete any link you haven't pre-authorized and given the user a warning. If they continue to do so, he will automatically kick them from the discord. (You can turn it off so he won't kick and just warn the user over and over again... or set a threshold... say a user post the same link ten times rapidly then that user could even be banned if that's what you want to do)

Mother or Ai bot is more so for fun then anything else but also has a few useful tools. We use her to award our members meaningless points and exp so that they can level up or purchase ranks within our discord system using points. The positions are pointless as well, but most members see the higher tier ranks as symbols of status in the community. Nox or mee6 is excellent as well as he provides music in voice chats, timed reminders for my users to vote on top rp sites or things like that. Custom commands that display custom information. For example a link to our rules, our map, our complaint form. Our user survey and other various tools. Spring or Mirai bot is good for.... well we are weebs we like Mirai... she used to play a jpop/jrock channel 24/7 she no longer does but she does other things like making our decisions for us if we can decide on something (RNG element built-in) or rating us as Waifus... she post random pictures of cats, and anime things like that. (I am trash, and that is okay)

Next up is Summer... Summer is a great bot... she has all sorts of capabilities that could probably narrow down our total list of bots. The issue is she was the last addition to our bot list as we discovered her last. We wanted her for one reason and one reason only. A bot that posted hentai... yup she could probably do every job, but we just wanted her for one thing. (I am trash, and that is okay) Tiviere or Trello is possibly a bit harder to explain because I have to explain another tool entirely called Trello which is like a giant storyboard where you can slap up text, ideas, and put them on board for your team to see... kind of like a storyboard... Then in each of those cards and sticky notes on the board, you elaborate and flesh out your story as more people add to it. Trello boat post all updates of our trello to our update board in discord, so it sort of works like init does for the initiative only for what trello. 

Let me tell you about Winter Winter is an excellent bot because winter keeps me on time for all my duties reminding me by the second of when I wanted something done, or when I tried to start something. It also can do regular reminders and looks good doing it. Writger is widgetbot, he logs every IP that touches my discord server from the forum, and it allows guest to use our help and support chat area. It puts our announcements all in one concise location. Its all in all just a great tool in my opinion. 

Lastly the master of all bots... UberBot or American Father (its an inside joke because of the bot's features) If you say America UberBot says Fuck yea which is kind of funny... 

Uber bot logs every message edit, every message delete, every name change, every role change... it reuploads the photos that were deleted and all in all its magnificent because when people do wrong and they know they wrong, and they try to hide it. You need the evidence to justify your actions as an admin. That is ultimately the bottom line of it.

TL;DR this is what all of my bots do. Do you think I have gone overboard? What kind of bots do you use?

• I read this! 1

rpgdbutton2.png&key=dfb05af7bfa27396287d83219050c087a693d5129f138b5d126d1f2f5979e350watchaffiepurple.png&key=00171f06b95e74ffa2ed833f2f78f69c54c8d62932cebe6c4f5169ccd7f9c713
HOME // FORUM // NEWSLETTER // DISCORD ] 

Sweet!! Right now on my server, I only use Mee6 for leveling up (username goes through the rainbow as users level up) and for notifying me when someone leaves the server. My holy grail bot for whenever I finally have my own site is a bot that notifies the server of new threads and users. Or maybe even more obnoxiously, a message whenever a particular thread is posted to... That would be pretty useful for main event plot threads....

• I read this! 1

Glub glub.

I use Titan for embedding discord onto the site.

I use Ayana for music mostly. (As in, you tell it what song/playlist you want to hear then tell it which voice channel to join and it'll play music for everyone in that channel.) It can do more than that, but I've never really bothered to learn those functions and implement them.

• I read this! 1
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

Wow! Y'all are so great! I did good to just get the Titan bot installed and the Discord integration app added to my site along with my server's bot for it.

12 hours ago, Bezyle said:

Lastly the master of all bots... UberBot or American Father (its an inside joke because of the bot's features) If you say America UberBot says Fuck yea which is kind of funny... 

Uber bot logs every message edit, every message delete, every name change, every role change... it reuploads the photos that were deleted and all in all its magnificent because when people do wrong and they know they wrong, and they try to hide it. You need the evidence to justify your actions as an admin. That is ultimately the bottom line of it.

This one sounds absolutely awesome! I will definitely look into it, but so far, I have had very little luck with any of the bots I've added to my server.

Awesome thread!

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

• Admin

On the Initiative we use 4 bots:

Salt Bot - IT was supposed to be a moderation bot but now only really used for Random Rolls. I could get rid of it because of Tatsumaki BUT I just like the name of the bot too much to get rid of it.

Titan - I am considering getting rid of it but Titan is great for Roleplays.

Tatsumaki - A multi-server leveling, currency random stuff bot. This is the thing that levels you up on the Initiative. If other servers have it then it will level you up on all of the servers you are on.

InitBot - This is a custom bot that auto-posts our threads to the server channels.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

What kind of bots do you use for your discord server? I use 4 bots.

• DiscordServer: I may be getting rid of this one, but it was an useful test run. This was for a site that lists all the active servers that exist on Discord, kind of a directory. Your info on your server shows up, with how many users there are and how active it is, along with your own written description of the server. Bot reads that info and lists server as active. We got a few temporary members this way who were intrigued by what kind of server this was -- a chat for our historical forum rp. I want a similar directory for RP servers that's a lot cleaner, more interactive, and fun to use, so I've been pondering on creating something like this to set the directory bot apart from gaming servers, random servers, and such.
  • Dynobot. I love all the features it offers.
  • Tatsumaki. Also love everything about this bot. Both Dyno and Tatsu has easy to use dashboards.
  • Toasty. Hilarious bot. Never getting rid of it.

Now I want a bot that auto-posts threads into a channel from our site. Does anyone with jcink know how this can be done because I would fucking love this. xx

How many bots are too little and how many is too much?

Well. I think you can have bunches of bots as long as its organised. For example, mine are set apart from the rest. Attached pic of it below. I do think anything more than 5 gets distracting because I like to see members and staff more than I like to see bots, which is why I generally suggest setting that grouping apart. I say this even with the bot icon next to the names lol. You don't have to group all the roles, especially if you already use role colours. I'd pick bot role in the list of roles, then set it apart. 

RoleSettings.png

BotFrans2.png

Edited by Kaycakes
  • I read this! 1

300x80AdBanner.png

home sweet home.

18th century British India rp. Jcink premium.

be geeky with me!

I still haven't figure out where one finds all these bots and here you guys are talking about all these little dudes you have that do cool stuff. I feel so tech unsavvy x_x

• LOL 1

Ad-bar-long.gif.722dc28f494a5bc598f47e3c8466b27b.gif

THE HAUNTED - A Horror Survival Jam Jar currently in Development
Interested in helping? My inbox is open!

Tatsumaki - primarily for pointless levelling up, cookie giving and random cat pics.

Widgetbot - like titanembeds, but I think widgetbot is cleaner.

Discord Duels - you fight things. It's diverting.

• I read this! 2

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

1 minute ago, Kit the Human said:

Tatsumaki - primarily for pointless levelling up, cookie giving and random cat pics.

Widgetbot - like titanembeds, but I think widgetbot is cleaner.

Discord Duels - you fight things. It's diverting.

I noticed that duels bot. >.>

• LOL 1

300x80AdBanner.png

home sweet home.

18th century British India rp. Jcink premium.

be geeky with me!

@Kit the Human  Can widgetbot be styled to match your site like Titan?  I use Titan right now.

RPG-Initiative

3 minutes ago, Stormwolfe said:

@Kit the Human  Can widgetbot be styled to match your site like Titan?  I use Titan right now.

Yep! You just need to be a 5 buck patron and reach out to the creator to get it all enabled. Ignore this bit:

Even though many people want it, there is no Widget to Discord chat.

That's out of date. You can use it for guests to chat from your site.

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

I don't want to hijack Bezyle's thread with questions. May I PM you?

RPG-Initiative

I probably... overuse bots LOL xD I love them. Here's a list of bots and their basic uses:

Typicalbot - mod stuff, mostly; but also fun games, jokes, pictures, etc. Typicalbot is amazing! The staff is also working on a dashboard, and I'm super excited. <3

Mee6 - probably our most-used bot. We have levels, custom commands to all sorts of lore and newbie stuff, and reminders!

Titan/Widgetbot - I LOVE Titan as a widget because of the customizable interface/css, great staff, and multiple channel selection - but I dabble with Widget when Titan goes down. xD

Snail Racing and Dice are both for fun bots - one you race snails on, and the other is a fun dice game. My members love them!

I also just added Mirai and Nightbot, but I haven't gotten to play with these much yet, so... stuff is forthcoming? Hehe

1 hour ago, Stormwolfe said:

I don't want to hijack Bezyle's thread with questions. May I PM you?

I don't know if you mean me personally, but I am open to any and all PMs for whatever reason.

I am also going to get snail racing because that is kind of adorable in its own way lol. 

rpgdbutton2.png&key=dfb05af7bfa27396287d83219050c087a693d5129f138b5d126d1f2f5979e350watchaffiepurple.png&key=00171f06b95e74ffa2ed833f2f78f69c54c8d62932cebe6c4f5169ccd7f9c713
HOME // FORUM // NEWSLETTER // DISCORD ]