You're not a detail-oriented person, are you?

Deep Sea

Indeed, sometimes I just want to say "read the damn rules" and leave it at that. Hand holding, especially with people who treat you as their personal encyclopedia rather than reading site information, is always a nightmare.

• Agree 1
  • Preach it! 1

I have a player who seems to think that the setting in one thread is a mountain. i said multiple times in post that it is not only a canyon, but a harsh rocky narrow one.

The same player interpreted a field of dead wheat for a field of blooming flowers.

I've interacted with other players who've mixed up details even worse than that, not only misunderstanding the setting, but also character actions and words.

luckily I've found this phenomenon rare in my rp circles.

Edited by Kazetatsu
  • Preach it! 1

This happened a very long time ago but it still makes me laugh.

Normally, I am a very laid back storyteller when it comes to running a mission or event. If I've planned on the characters going left at the end of the corridor and they all go right, I adjust where the monster is lurking. It is very rare that I will ask or mandate a rewrite unless there's just no other way - i.e. going right totally ends the entire plot or something. 

Our IC team was stranded at one of those old roadside inns. These may be way older than any of you can remember. They tended to have a central office, usually the manager/owner's little apartment was behind it. The rooms was small standalone units or sometimes little duplex units. Rarely more than eight, four single or duplex units to either of the little central office building.

Because it was very important that we all be on the same page regarding the layout of each little unit, I drew them out in Paintshop - where the door was, the bathroom, windows, if there was a front and back door, the beds, everything. It was neatly labeled, nice simple diagram.

No one could put their character in the wrong place, right?

Over the course of writing out the fight scene, doors magically appeared and disappeared. Windows came and went, the number of units changed, etc.

All done by one player.

Go figure! By the end, I was like :D. My co-storyteller and I laughed alot over this one.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

I wouldn't dream of joining a site and just guessing the rules/lore.

Yet it happens more times than I'd like :(

• Agree 1
Owner Of Convergence Wars

Are you an RP Site Admin? Add me on Discord to learn about RP Community Watch, a server full of RP Admins who chill, exchange tips, and share a watchlist of dangerous members.
Discord Name: SYRE#0420

• 2 weeks later...

Someone that I'm threading with right now has called my character by the wrong name since the start of the thread... like, not even misspelling it, though I guess they both begin with the same letter. Literally the wrong name. Of another character on the site. Who is nowhere near the vicinity of the thread at the moment. ... like, they're obviously reading my posts since they're responding correctly to her actions and words? And I obviously use her name in her posts when I'm posting as her???? I don't... understand......

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

affbutton.png

i try to put in as much details as possible, but not go overly descriptive either--the posts would end up being long winded.

I'm so bad at reading comprehension that I have to give a disclaimer sometimes.

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 1

WoL___dark01.png

• 10 months later...

On a Medieval Fantasy forum I was in a thread and the other player took a while to open the door of his isolated cabin the forest. When he opened the door he apologised, saying he had been in the shower.

Oh yeah, the medieval fantasy shower.

That you came out of in full armour.

And dry.

Another time I my character had set up a quarantine outside a plague city. Some other players, 3 of them, decided to team up and attack me. So they did this big post about how their armies, which had been hidden in nearby woods, rushed out and stormed the city. Now, there were two problems with this:

1) They attacked from the south, which had already been established as being the ocean (the ocean is not typically known for it's verdant, army hiding forests)

2) I was not actually IN the city. I had set up a quarantine around it, that was in fact the entire thread to that point.

I decided to pm them with this info. They apologised and then edited their post to say they were now attacking from the East. That was it. My next post was just my character staring at disbelief as armed soldiers climbed into a plague city and began killing people for no reason. They then just took their men and left. The three vanished not long after this.

• LOL 4

spacer.png

Leave us some Anonymous In Character Feedback!
We'll have a thread where we discuss it and get angry.
It'll be great.

I used to write lots of details and then got irritated when I felt like they were ignored, forgotten about, or rewritten. Now I just go with the bare minimum of details, only stating what is important, and let the other player fill things in as they like. It makes it extra amusing if they change the details of the setting they set for themselves.

(Sometimes I'm one of those people.)