Characters We Love and Love to Hate

StormWolfe

This topic was inspired by @MissQ's comment in I'm so tired of....  I am sure it has been touched on in other topics or might have been a topic all on its own at some point (a search did not turn up any results though). Although some ranting and venting is okay, that's not the purpose of this topic. The questions are just guidelines. Please don't think you need to answer all of them or answer them in order. They can be combined, ignored, etc. This is a free-for-all discussion for fun and elucidation. I'll weigh in with my thoughts once we get going.

What character concepts do you love?

What traits make you avoid a specific type of character?

What are your character concept preferences when you create a new character? Please clarify if genre-specific.

What traits and concepts do you prefer RPing with (perhaps opposite the type of character you are writing)?

When looking over a new RPG to join, what do you need to see to make you drool over creating a character? [Clarification: based on active character profiles, wanteds, etc.]

Edited by Stormwolfe
  • Love 2

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

Awww @Stormwolfe a whole topic inspired by me? I'm touched. Let me finish my coffee and I'm going to hit this up with better coherent thoughts 

• Love 2

poke_clash2.png

vPhN5b.png                      

A supernatural fantasy about spirit animals set in Somerset, Pennsylvania

My favorite character concepts are those who have recently (1-10 years ago) gone through something and is in the process of normalizing their lives. Not only are they dealing with the aftermath of some emotional/physical/mental/psychological/etc. event, but they also have to deal with regular adult issues (paying bills, working with co-workers they don't necessarily like). I want to play them in the part of their life where it's almost like starting over and opens up a whole new gateway of how to develop based on other people's characters in their lives. 

With that said, my preference is to set them up opposite of characters who are realistic optimists (no, everything is not rainbows and sunshine but if you look hard enough there is a silver lining somewhere in this whole situation) or the realistic pessimists (what you went through was sh*t and there's nothing you can do to change that so why are you focused on something in the past? That's just gonna screw up what's in front of you).  I'm not looking for someone to "fix" my character. I like the ones who see this old nasty bandage over all these old wounds and rip that mess off with a 'wtf are doing' look on their face. Mostly because that's what my characters end up doing when someone else's character is in a bind. Short spurt of sympathy before telling them straight up they f'ed up and it's time to own those choices. 

For me, I'm well aware that after becoming a parent, my characters have certain foundations to their personalities. 1.) The ability to level with people,  2.) a game plan to help get your character out of a mess (sometimes this goes horribly wrong but it's better than knowing exactly what to do or not doing anything at all), 3.) They all have some sort of routine in their daily lives. Probably involving coffee or alcohol because #adulthood. 

Now, as mentioned in another topic, I will never tell someone they can't create that character concept they want. I'll try to steer them to think a little more on it to give more depth, but they can take it or leave it. People know what they like to write and what brings them joy. As a hobby, I'll never tell them that I know best and they have to ditch this character. However, there are certain character types that my characters will avoid like the plague. These are the characters who've had something tragically happen to them or something kind of bad and aren't affected by what happened. They're still the sweet & innocent type (bonus points if they trust everyone that walks in their lives & ignore any self-preservation or instincts. Also, they cutesy clutzy). I know there are people, real people, like that in the world. I've met a couple. Real nice. Made my sweet tooth ache. 

As characters? Often times than not, they aren't written with a lot of thought into them. Their players mostly just want others to love this character and get offended or upset OOCly when someone doesn't exhibit the reaction they want. Terrible as it sounds, it's likely my characters will imagine them as some sort of Stepford Wife or a Body Snatcher, backing away slowly when in proximity. 

When I'm looking for a new RPG to join, I don't have a lot of requirements. A simple skin that doesn't burn my eyes. An easy enough plot I can jump right into. Characters with some diversity/variety in appearance, age, job, personality. If I walk into a place and feel like every character is basically the same with different names and faces, I'm gonna step out. 

• Agree 1
  • Love 2

poke_clash2.png

vPhN5b.png                      

A supernatural fantasy about spirit animals set in Somerset, Pennsylvania

Guest TheHales

I'd say one of my favorite concepts is the creative, free spirited type who kind of do what they want when they want. A lot of them are artists or musicians who had a structured life at one point but decided for whatever reason (sometimes good, sometimes bad) to get out and see the world or make the most of their life. Putting down roots and commitment are usually hard for them, but I tend to to play them well opposite people who are too structured. It's a fun balancing act from those early days of irking each other to the fact both end up benefiting from the interactions and usually become some variation of friends. I freely admit these characters are likely some variation of wish-fulfillment on behalf of my untalented self and my rather structured life. XD

My other favorite concept is the ones who seem so very normal at a first glance but are hiding some serious darkness under the surface. The kind of psychopaths who manipulate others and twist things around while pretending they're a normal person. A lot of them can turn on charm when necessary and don't see any problem with their choices because they think they're in the right regardless of who else gets hurt. I wouldn't say they're outright villainous since I often counter-balance with someone or something they care about so they aren't a heartless monster, but I love exploring the depths of what is too far. Generally, I like to use them to screw up the lives of nice and normal people or occasionally find them a co-conspirator. XD

Honestly, I avoid characters who are too fragile. I mean, I get everyone can't be tough, but I can't handle when a character is just so gentle and naive and walks straight into a pit of rabid dogs then goes "oh no. why doesn't the puppy like me?" A lot of these characters don't really seem to exist for a purpose other than being saved by someone and adored by everyone else. It hits the trifecta of AVOID for me when they've gone through tragedy after tragedy and remain so gentle and optimistic and untouched by anything. I'm a big fan of realism, of actions having consequences and people responding to what happens in their lives instead of just carrying on around it like it was just a fly in the food that no longer matters once removed.

Usually, the lore is my initial hook for a site then I take a look at current characters and wanted ads. Diversity in characters and wanted ads tends to make me more interested in a site unlike seeing one where it's almost entirely romance ads. I like exploring a variety of relationships (family, friends, romance, antagonists, etc.) so seeing that people are branching out into those topics tends to get me excited about a site.

For me, personally, I suck at writing bad guys and gals. So, my characters tend to be straight arrows with maybe some past issues or current conflicts to make them interesting. If I write a bad guy or bad gal, they'll be supporting characters or NPCs only.

I love a well-written character with issues that do not overwhelm the story.

Oh! Poor Pitiful Me! If this is a constant theme, my characters will hit the highway.

I vant to be alone! OK!

Instant 'shippers (all kinds, not just romance). Yes, I will build in a background with a character from an old and trusted RP friend, but I prefer to let relationships develop organically in game. 

What are your character concept preferences when you create a new character? Please clarify if genre-specific.

I just realized that this question is almost the same as the first question. Sorry for that! Consider this one deleted.

What traits and concepts do you prefer RPing with (perhaps opposite the type of character you are writing)?

Trick question! Honestly, I like to RP my characters with all types of other characters as long as it makes reasonable sense to do so based on the setting, time-period, etc. Opposites can attract, but that isn't always logical. 

When looking over a new RPG to join, what do you need to see to make you drool over creating a character? [Clarification: based on active character profiles, wanteds, etc.]

Hmmmmm! I will confess to an age bias. Because I am older than the average RP crowd, I tend to write older characters as well. When scanning bios for potential interactions, if my guy or gal is over 50 and absolutely all of the other characters are under 25, it doesn't really make sense that he or she would make friends or find a romance. If the RPG itself is just too exciting to pass up, I will attempt a younger character. However, this is often doomed to failure because my youngsters sound old. LOL.

My thanks to everyone responding to this thread. I live to learn!

• I read this! 1
  • Love 1

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

Villains. I absolutely love bad-guys, but I like the HIDDEN bad-guys. People that are evil AF but are charming and handsome. Those that can hide their vindictive qualities in plain-sight behind good-looks, intelligence and money.

Boy/girl-next-door but FLAWED. I love my characters to have realistic flaws. Maybe they're single-minded, stoic, unlikeable, misogynistic, pious, a liar - the possibilities are endless but I always, always give my characters unsavory flaws even if they are a lovable cinnamon roll. 

I tend to avoid genuinely GOOD characters to play. I always prefer a Tony Stark over a Steve Rogers.

I'll play anything against my characters. I like when other characters buy into the facade of my characters, I like when other characters see through it and they fight. I love when there are other villains to compete with and become friends with. I also like cracking my villains and bringing their internal goodness to light. I also like breaking my heros, watching them crumble and their flaws crack them open so they suffer. I LOVE giving my characters things they might not want, but things that are still "good" for them and the story.

When looking over a new RPG to join, what do you need to see to make you drool over creating a character? [Clarification: based on active character profiles, wanteds, etc.]

If they need a villain or an anti-hero and a good one, a complex one. Not just a EVIL TROPE but a character with aspirations, goals, and some good qualities that is going to shake things up is always my favorite.

• Love 3

Duel-faceted in some way or another that holds an almost direct opposition.
+ A kind, compassionate, thoughtful do-gooder who is also cruel and merciless
+ Cold, stately, uncompromising "creature" with a clear heart of stone/ice who ends up being more human and compassionate than the actual humans.
Or, otherwise I play people who are somehow different/out of their element compared to everyone else in their group: The 'black sheep' of the family, or other outlier. Accepted, but /different/. 

Less of the character, more-so the RPer: Characters who are super popular/pretty/handsome and in their bio has All Deh Peoplez fawning over them. While I have no problem with the archetype itself or giving a famous/popular character their due lip service, they usually come with RPers who start blurring the OOC/IC line and get deeply offended if my character isn't immediately smitten with puppy love and drooling at their feet for attention/approval. 

When looking over a new RPG to join, what do you need to see to make you drool over creating a character? 

These three come together in one concept for me. When I go looking at/for a site, I usually have a "gut feel" of a concept or character that I am in the mood/desire to play. I look at concepts in what has already been created, in order to see if my Vision fits with and/or is needed(in terms of a wanted ad). If I feel like I have a puzzle piece in my hand that fits the board, I join. (Unless something in the rules is a dealbreaker for me of course, but that was a conversation for a different thread)

• Love 3

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

I don’t think I’ve met a character idea yet that I haven’t wanted to try. I do have a fondness for stupid characters though. The dumber the better.

I’m not much for teenage angst types. I’m just not good at writing it.

This is a hard question to answer, because it really depends on which character I’m writing and what kind of story arc I'm trying to write for them.

When looking over a new RPG to join, what do you need to see to make you drool over creating a character?

Quirky characteristics, and character connections (familial, friends, enemies) that are already being played on the site.

• Love 3

On 3/17/2018 at 3:01 PM, firefly said:

Quirky characteristics, and character connections (familial, friends, enemies) that are already being played on the site.

YES! I LOVE family connections. 

• Love 1