Picking FC Siblings

Quell

So I've been toying recently with the idea of making a set of siblings and I've been looking around for a good set of faces that I like together.  As I chose two that I adored, I realized that they were (objectively) different races.

So! I was wondering, what do other people do for choosing siblings for RPs?

Can someone from the UK be siblings with someone from Greece? Is it hair color and eye color more than anything? Do you look at bone structure? Place of birth? Something else?

What do you feel about "color blind" FC casting for biological families?

tumblr_ovxhy4cZLY1wtsmmno3_r1_100.jpg

• Admin

Depends on the character for me. I try to match siblings facial structure but sometimes it's more about body type and things. For my character Mordria this is her family (yes I had fun with this and making all the guys shirtless:

driafamilynew.png

For my character Alice I did jaw and bone structure:

familynew2.png

For my character Violet I did a bit of both:

visignew.png thebrother.png thesister.png

However with my friend @Dragon it ended up that all of his siblings/half siblings etc ended up being from the cast of the Walking dead.

So it all depends. I feel that if the character fits their origins don't matter. At least in my opinion.

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

@Thyme  Great topic!

I recently was involved in a discussion between two players apping siblings. I also recently had to find faces for 5-year-old fraternal twins (what a nightmare)! The faces and bios were just reference bios (very low-end NPCs).

It is really hard to put together a collection of playbys for a family. Personally, I look for similar (not exact) coloring and bone structure. Sometimes I cheese out for the easy and go with playbys from a family group in a TV series or movie so there's images of them together in various settings. Doing that right now for my new character at my western site.

However, genetics proves that people with widely divergent looks and coloring can be related. I am dark and my bone structure is more akin to my father's family who had strong Native American influences. My oldest brother was fair and red haired with amazing deep blue eyes. 

It might be easiest to list the siblings with a brief description of how you see them and if they get picked up (assuming that's the plan), discuss them in more detail with the Player considering adopting them.

If I'm way off-base, ignore me. My caffeine is refusing to kick in.

[Edit: By the way, here are the faces that I wound up using for my 5-year-old twins].

harper-twins.png.8d75b1f3d6ce2d60817b7d3f1af04eec.png

Edited by Stormwolfe
  • I read this! 1
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

Honestly a lot of the time I end up googling "[name] family template" because people on tumblr have already done the leg work for me and I get a bunch of potential faces for family members. But when I have to do it myself, I usually pick one feature of the existing sibling and try to match it. Like eyes or lips or hair or something. Because my brother and I look nothing alike, but we have the same teeth.

When it comes to racially matching siblings, I do try to stay as accurate as I can, but nationality has no bearing on it for me. An English face can be brothers with a Greek face. As long as there's something there that ties them together as siblings for me.

As for "color blind" biological families, do you mean like there's no explanation as to why all these family members are different races? In comparison to like a family of mixed background. I've never seen this in action so I'm not sure how I feel about it! But I think I'd have a hard time immersing myself into that family dynamic, because culture is also a lot of what makes up a family and the idea of a "color blind" biological family lacks that cultural history. 

• I read this! 1
  • Like 3

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

For two brothers, I came with Enrique and Julio Jose Iglesias, because they were already brothers and had some similiarities.

For another pair of siblings, I went with Hilary Swank and Alain Delon, but I mentioned that one ressembled more to his mother, the other with her father, and only the same shade of unusual green eyes was the similitude between them (yes, I do describe my characters' eye and hair colour, which often differs than the actor's, which I never know).

For an uncle and a nephew, and for a mother and a daughter, I chose the same playby at different ages. 

Edited by Elena
  • I read this! 1
  • Like 1

• Operations Mod

I generally look to compare facial structure and general features like hair and eye color. Similarly shaped chins, similar jaw width, facial lengthxwidth. 1aredfam2.png.078825ce467ead3bc217ef5076f27ad2.png

The above and below are all part of the same family - lets call it polygamous to make things simple. 

1fam2.png.b9322345964350921fcd3a0e3eda2669.png

These are the claims for immediate family. I tried to match them for features as best as possible - but like @Morrigan mentioned, most of Seth's extended family ended up being represented by Walking Dead actors. That wasn't done on purpose so much as something that started as a joke and then became a thing. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

I'm using the same face claim to play two (non-twin) brothers. Different sets of pictures with different "styles" from different years to help make them look different.

Ultimately, it's a game. If trying to find the perfect match is part of the game for someone, then spend all the time needed on the hunt. But for the rest of us, it's best not to stress about nationality and how perfectly close family members appear to be. If there is a big divergence in appearance, it either needs to be explained IC (because the characters probably got a lot of comments about it growing up) or OoC (such as that the character looks like PB but with different hair color, for example).

• Like 1
  • Love 3

WoL___dark01.png

Generally, I try to match hair colour with families - for instance, with my dwarf family, I tried to make sure that they reflected the hair colour of the parents - if both of the parents had dark hair, then the child would. If one of them had dark hair and one red hair, then some of the children would have dark hair, others would have red, etc. I also try to make sure that the images I use also reflect the kind of rp that they are in, such as using images from fantasy and historical sources - sometimes I've had to use art for this because I've not found something I like. Trying to make sure that the images match the genre is harder than finding family members because you need to make sure that if you make a poor character that the image isn't of someone who is well off, and there are less well off characters that are the centre of a tv series. To over come that problem I've even looked at old programs and films from the 80s and 90s. To help people, I've also come up with a list of TV shows and films for people to look at as people tend to gravitate towards more current sources probably because they don't know of the older shows - but sometimes stills can be harder to find because they aren't on the internet.

• I read this! 1
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Guest TheHales

For me, the situation determines how I choose siblings so for example, I have an Irish redhead who married a guy with Greek roots. They had three kids and their sons were dark haired like the father while the daughter ended up a redhead; however, one of the sons had green eyes like the mother and daughter while the other was dark like the father. I'd also done a punetts square in advance to find the probability which came out to 1 in 4 for red hair.

In another instance, I went with dark hair and blue eyes because it matched my playby. I requested all siblings be dark haired and made blue eyes optional, though I suggested a bunch of blue-eyed actors. XD

Sometimes I resort to googling "actresses/actors who look like __________" and use what pops up like Alexandra Daddario and Henry Cavill have a certain resemblance as he does to Jamie Dornan who I use as a cousin.

Honestly unless it's super difficult to imagine them as siblings, I don't focus too much on nationality or ethnicity or anything like that when plotting out families. I often leave a flexible option so long as they check with me first.

• 4 weeks later...

Sometimes I look for similarities. I know in some in the past I and others have done that (or not at all).

In one RP that never quite got off the ground, me and the other admin had a pair of siblings with me as the older brother with Jake Gyllenhal and her with the youngest with Shia Lebouf, which was kind of going for similar but also not because they were shapeshifters with rules that they could change appearance. Then in the vampire RP I've been running off and on for years, my mod and I have half brothers. Her FC for the older brother is Karl Urban and I play the younger brother with young Ewan McGregor, which was us not going for similar at all and choosing faces that we each wanted to choose. There were a few moments in the RP where we pointed out how they looked nothing alike.

And then you have my vampire brothers who I ended up pairing up together with Ian Somerhalder as the older and Matt Bomer as the younger, who I paired up because I saw similarities between certain pictures I'd saved of each of them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

rpgd-sig-banner-white.png

The stage is set. The war is on. Now we just need you.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done it a couple times, and I usually either see if they've had siblings in any of the roles they've already played (which is the easy way out, tbh) or I look for people who have similar hair colors/skin tones/facial features, then put them into a collage side by side to see if they could really pass as siblings. I throw out the ones I don't like/think are believable until I'm either left with nothing and have to start again or I've found the right FC set for my needs.

• Like 1

I either use faces that have played siblings to my Character’s face claim like some others have said or I will try and find somebody with similar features or something.

• Like 1

Profile graphics by @Lirschen

Like @Morrigan I try to go by facial structure and features while loosely choosing hair styles and eye colour.  Race wise, I try to go with someone of the same race although if the face is exactly the look I'm going for. As others have said, sometimes you find RL twins or family members who are an easy choice.

I like looking for faces for characters in general so I get REALLY into it. 

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png