Members, what does "welcoming" mean to you?

anthrxmilkshake

Welcoming, to me, is more than a "hello" from a few people. I like to see a group of rpgers that take the effort to get to know the new person and involve their characters. I may be a little picky about it but I like to keep the cliqueish behavior to a minimum. 

• Agree 1

My personal experience is that most sites that call themselves welcoming just generally enjoy hanging out with each other, so they're chatty, talkative, etc. However, my personal version of 'welcomed' is if someone just brings me into the middle of the conversation. Don't ask me about the weather, or tepid starter questions. Just let me jump in and go. I will get a feel for the members off the bat, and if we get along, then yay! If not, then that's not really your fault; we just don't suit each other.

EDIT: I should clarify that if I get that 'hello', then I will at least follow through with the effort of putting up plots and replying to people with the expectation that they will reply to me.

Edited by Shieb
  • Agree 1

I usually tend to avoid the themed boards because of the unwelcoming atmosphere I sometimes run into.

For me, welcoming environments are a mix of things.

First and foremost, it's helping someone get set up and involving them in the site. (Of course, there should be effort on both sides).

It would then be an issue of attitude, how easy it is to talk and connect to people on the site.

As others have said in this thread, it's not all about the attitude, it's about including someone in the site; it's the same in my opinion. 

It really depends on the person that you get in. As a GM I expect a bit that people that apply towards my Star Trek groups to know Star Trek. So I do answer what difficult questions, but easy ones I refer to the wiki or maybe even the episode. However, when creating a unique setting you need to be able to give support towards those that don't quite get it and I make it my job to welcome them, to integrate them in the story and offer help if they get stuck. Kinda an open office policy, got a question, then ask 😉

• Agree 1

Keeper RaWolfe

Owner of the Exonia Realm