Unfair treatment?

Anonymous

So...basically everything comes down to Admin A not being a very communicative/effective Admin? That's the impression I'm getting from your posts. 

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

• Operations Mod
10 hours ago, Uaithne said:

I can understand how you feel jilted about how you were treated, but I, personally, from the information given to me, do not believe that the administration was doing it maliciously.  That said, you seem to believe that Admin A isn't an upstanding character to begin with, so it's quite possible that I'm wrong.

I'm highly inclined to disagree with the belief that it wasn't malicious. 

Anon explicitly stated that this site has been going for at least a full year, and additionally

"And I saw that there were still two canon groups with no members whatsoever, so I thought I'm doing the site a favour by creating a leader of one of those groups." 

After an entire year, there aren't many reasonable site runners that are going to turn around and pull something like what Anon was put through here. If an admin is that picky after an entire year without being able to fill the canon then the admin is obviously the problem in the equation - full. fucking. stop. 

An entire year, minimum, with no interest in the canon faction - no leader, no members joining; and then all the sudden Anon is expected to just casually buy that within days of their expressing interest in the position - and being arbitrarily denied based on no sort or pre-existing site policy - some old member turns up out of the blue and gets it? 

Let's be honest here - it is very obvious that neither admin was already talking with this old member at the time Anon requested the canon. If that had been the case, then Admin A would have told her that another member was already working on making the canon

Furthermore, the flak about going from Admin A to Admin B is unjustified if we're judging by the wording Anon used to describe their experience. They didn't 'go behind Admin A's back in a red flag manner' - 

I stated that towards Admin B a few days later, and that I was worried that the faceclaim and position might be taken in the meantime.

This doesn't imply that Anon went behind Admin A's back in any way, shape, or form. What it implies is that during a regular discussion, Anon voiced a concern that the position they really wanted and were excited for would be taken before they were able to satisfy Admin A's BS arbitrary demand that they wait for no good reason. There is no reason that any member shouldn't be able to do this. If anything, its further evidence against the administration team of the site because Admin A chose not to communicate with their partner. 

Sites that leave canon slots open for free claim, with no standard prerequisite, have no reason to deny a newcomer a slot like that outside of arbitrary staff BS. It's bad form, period.

• Agree 1
  • Fuck Yeah! 1

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

You’re right, the wording could be interpreted in different ways. Unfortunately being vague about a situation as required for anonymity can mean that certain details are left out, and that in turn can skew the advice received. That’s why I asked for clarification about why the choice to go to the second admin was made, because as it was written (anon wanted a canon, received an answer they didn’t agree with, and a few days later went to a second admin) it sounded like part of the issue might have been staff jumping.

• Agree 3

• Operations Mod
49 minutes ago, firefly said:

You’re right, the wording could be interpreted in different ways. Unfortunately being vague about a situation as required for anonymity can mean that certain details are left out, and that in turn can skew the advice received. That’s why I asked for clarification about why the choice to go to the second admin was made, because as it was written (anon wanted a canon, received an answer they didn’t agree with, and a few days later went to a second admin) it sounded like part of the issue might have been staff jumping.

It doesn't actually matter in this scenario, even if Anon did switch around and go the back way. 

A. No competent staff team would forget to spread the word among all administrators -  or even general mods - if a member expressed interest in a canon slot. 
B. Again, if the site has no pre-determined standard for longevity prior to asking for canon, then there's no good reason to deny the position - especially when they've already spent an entire year trying and failing to have it filled. 

Edited by Dragon
  • Preach it! 1

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

So basically "I knew the answer I was going to get but posted anyway." Fair.

While I agree that their communication sucks balls, you don't know if X brought it up first or not. They certainly need to rethink their rules re canons if they're doing things like this. 

That said, you could linger and see how things progress. Or, since you've already lost interest you could go find somewhere else that you feel more comfortable at. It basically boils down to whether or not you feel you can overlook a rough start. 

Both sides handled this poorly. The site definitely needs to revamp it's rules/standards for ranks/canons and anon needs to find somewhere they don't feel constantly slighted. Cause unless something happens I doubt they're going to get over this. (Not meant as an insult, just that rough starts tends to Jade the entire thing.)

• Agree 2

@Dragon - Oh, it's quite possible it was malicious.  I, personally, didn't read it that way, but I can see where people are coming from when they state that they think the admin team was entirely in the wrong and mistreated Anon.  When I first read it, my gut reaction was that it was just a goof-up and it ended up screwing Anon over; others might have read it and come to the conclusion that the staff members were mean.

I hate to say it, but I don't tell everything to my co-administrators.  That's literally impossible.  Even if it seems like it's something huge or that's really important to a single member, it might be something that is reasonably overlooked by a busy or distracted staff team.  Communication is really important (as demonstrated in this situation) but even in a very competent team, there can still be areas in which administrators drop the ball.  That alone isn't reason to draw and quarter them.

Perhaps it's because I'm more often an administrator than I am a member of somebody else's site, but I viewed this topic through the lens of an admin.  And I'm fully aware I might be wrong.  Even if we had all the information, I still might not be able to make accurate conclusions.

• Agree 2

WoL___dark01.png

• Admin
4 hours ago, jenneral_jennson said:

Anon hadn't even been active with the first character they created before going gungho for a canon slot and then when told no, they immediately lose interest in the entire site.

My problem with this statement is that you can join the site as a canon so 'gung ho and lose interest' or not there was no VALID reason other than Admin A didn't want them to take the position. If Anon had instead chosen to join the site as a canon first and created the OC afterward we wouldn't even be discussing this right now because there wouldn't have been this problem because the staff either would have denied the character outright for the original character OR wouldn't have had a problem since the canon was already taken and not taken issue with them creating the second character.

While I can see where you guys are finding fault in the Anon person, maybe it was a little underhanded and self pitying to go to Admin B after the fact. But I agree with @Dragon everyone should have known that Anon was interested and everyone should have known why they were asked to "wait". I personally, have done it before. I probably wouldn't have gone the way Anon did. I would have been even more blunt about it. "Hey Admin B, why was I asked to wait on that canon. Did I miss a rule about character creation?" but that's not the point here.

4 minutes ago, Uaithne said:

Even if it seems like it's something huge or that's really important to a single member, it might be something that is reasonably overlooked by a busy or distracted staff team. 

I can agree with you on this but even Admin B is at fault for this. I wouldn't have even replied to the member without consulting Admin A and asking what was up and what they were talking about.

• Like 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Meh. Like I said. I have no sympathy for either side, they’re both acting like immature children instead of adults. Things should’ve been said a little more straight forward than it was to be sure, But bottom line is we literally only have on side of the story and frankly we have no idea if the either admin team was truly that rude.

• Agree 2

(I don't know why, but I can barely read your font on the light skin without highlighting. :x )

I don't really... understand why this became an issue in the first place? Is there any reason they could have hesitated? Like, is this faction leader basically THE head/leader of the entire site/setting, and has a lot of IC power above all the others? If so, I can understand their hesitation/reluctance if their hesitation/reluctance is specific to that particular canon and you were new... but if that's the case, they really should have added another rule "btw, you gotta be here for a while before you take on THIS big boy!" At a site I used to staff at, we had gone through the same "dilemma," and learnt from our mistake. I would definitely say the staff team is responsible for this mistake. No matter what, there will always be holes in the information that may pop up at any time and the staff may not know about them until they show up, so it would be nice if members kind of gave their staff a certain amount of forgiveness/flexibility (because things do happen). However, the staff should learn from it and adapt to it and admit that this was their mistake, blah-blah-blah. If they refuse to learn and you think (even if it's not intended on their part) that you could be singled out for whatever reason, definitely don't commit there... It might turn out to be utter hell. But if they do  see it is their mistake, apologise for this messy mishap, then maybe it's worth sticking it out for a while?

Edited by Lucky Cat
  • Agree 1

It took a few days until I had finished my first app and the character was approved, so I couldn't even have made my very first ingame post before member X turned up.

I have contacted member X by now, and that gave me more insight.

I told them about my perspective of things and asked to tell me about their perspective. Member X was sorry about what had happened to me and confirmed that they had asked the admins (about taking this canon position) three days later than I had. At that time the member got to know that I was also interested in this position.

But at that time the member was still uncertain wether to create this character as that canon leader or as an OC member of another canon family. But the admins told the member that I prefer creating my character as the leader of a non-canon group, so member X apped the leader of the canon group.

So it turned out that the admins had lied to member X and had kept it secret from me that member X wouldn't have minded to create his character as an OC member of another canon group.

I had told the admins that I was very disappointed that member X was prefered for that position although I had asked earlier. Admin B even told me: „I can understand that you are disappointed.“

While knowing that another solution would have been possible that both players would have been happy with: That I create the leader of that canon group, and member X plays their character as member of another canon group. But the admins didn't tell me that such an easy solution would have been possible.

Instead I was told it's so much better for me if if my character is not a canon leader. I feel so fooled.

So I didn't just feel pushed aside, I was pushed aside indeed, although it wouldn't even have been necessary.

So I am very upset right now, but it's good to know that member X had no part in this and didn't want to snatch that position away from me. But it seems the admins prefered this member for the position, and that's why they didn't tell me the full truth.

If only I had contacted member X earlier! I think we would even get along well.

I asked the admins now why they did that to me, while pretending there was no other solution than member X getting the position. But obviously that was the solution they prefered, but will they admit to that? I doubt it. But whatever excuse they come up with – after all this, how could I still trust those admins?

I don't know why my last post appeared twice, hoping that won't happen again.

Anonymous poster hash: 1f853...417

This just keeps giving! 

Get the hell out. Admins can't even communicate with themselves nevermind anyone else. Their site is going to implode. Sounds like they're trying to manipulate the situation specifically to keep new unestablished players out of ranks.... Which is all well and good if it's explained in the rules. 

Maybe talk to X and see if there's a mutual solution or another site you two could bond on.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

While it's possible that member X was fibbing to you, I'm inclined to say that it's likely not the case. Like @Rune and @Zahhy, I believe you should steer clear of that environment.

Thanks for filling us in with the update. Sorry you have to deal with this crap.

• Agree 1

WoL___dark01.png