Registration Question Re: Interaction Level

Uaithne

I've seen so many responses around here where people don't want the staff members of a site to engage them in conversation when they register.  No saying hi in the cbox first, no pulling members into plots or shooting them PMs with ideas, etc.

What if a site had a question on registration where members would choose an option from a drop down:

a. Yes, please engage me in conversation!

b. I'd like to take my time - I'll initiate contact.

c. I'm indifferent

And then the staff knows how to treat each person.  With obvious exceptions for things like sending important messages overriding option "b."

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

WoL___dark01.png

I'm not sure how the logistics of that would work for bigger sites, but that's something I can definitely see as a positive. This way, people can feel more comfortable when joining the site and, for those who don't like being approached right away, not feel too stressed out while they get a feel for the site.

I would add that important updates would still be sent, in that case, just so the person doesn't see a message from staff and freaks out (as it sometimes happens), thinking they've done something wrong or are in trouble. :)

• Agree 1
  • Thank you 1

Shady McShaderson

I definitely wouldn't be opposed to this kind of thing if I joined a site with this option! I think it would actually work really well on sites that use discord - that way you can let everyone know your engagement level and how you prefer to be contacted about things like plots and whatnot. I've seen a lot of sites assign discord roles for preferred pronouns and timezones so others know when you're likely to be online and how to refer to you. I think this might be a beneficial addition to that, too.

• Thank you 1
  • Great Idea 1

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

I think I'm going to try setting up my site's  auto Welcome PM with a question along those lines and see if I get any feedback on the attempt. 

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I have applied this to my new site and I really like it.  When they join up, a question appears on the registration page with three options from the drop-down box.  The options are:

- I'd like to be contacted and involved in things!

- Please let me make first contact with you.

- This is a character account.

So far we have two new people who have used it.  Both chose the first option, which was fantastic because I knew I could bid them hello in the cbox first, and it was much less stressful than trying to decide how to approach it.  I have not gotten anyone who has chosen the second option, though I'm sure I will eventually and that will be just fine, too.

Edited by Uaithne
  • Like 3

WoL___dark01.png