Why Historical RP?

Kit the Human

A chance to waffle on about historical rp. What could be more glorious? ...Other than actually RPing 😃

I enjoy the research and trying to bring the research and details to life. I love trying to get into that mindset and realising the interactions between personhood, time and place. Reimagining the setting so that it is still true to time, but fleshed out with diversity (that doesn't ignore the setting) is fun.

I adore working with the limitations and challenges of the time. It's playing with the boundaries amd colouring between the lines. I find the creative challenge very satisfying.

What do you love about historical RP?

• Like 1
  • Love 2

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

When I was a child, I thought that my best subject was English language arts.  It changed at an awards ceremony which honored the "graduating" class.  My professor said I held the highest grade in social studies.  A legitimate surprise to me!  I'd already been working with my paternal grandfather on our genealogy four years prior.  

I started formal collaborative writing at fourteen-years-old.  Original ani-manga, then high fantasy, then Harry Potter, then non-personified Disney.  I departed from what my peers and siblings liked.  Having been a treble until 12 and 1/2, I sang traditional folk music.  Aspiring to keep that high range and tessitura yielded bullying.  

Historical fiction alone is a genre I respect, yet I want at least low fantasy.  Every original character created by me has had an Oliver Twist basis.  I also portrayed Prince Florian (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs) (1937) with bygone German particulars.  Quite fun amidst physical maladies, I opined, unconcerned about "stumbling blocks."

Prepubescent and adolescent boys were the most natural for me to pen.  Dark Age through Baroque western Europe, as well as colonial North America, worked best.  I loved getting inside my characters' minds.  What came out was like a film rolling on at some cinema.  Nothing really changed until 2013, the year I left Disney behind.

Edited by Jacob
  • Like 2

I just adore exploring a world that is tangible but so very different from our own. I like the idea that these things really happened and these people really lived that way. I think with modern settings, I find it all a bit familiar - I use RP as an escape to let off steam, and with fantasy or sci-fi, I just can't visualise a lot of the plots or settings because it's so different to our own.

I also suppose I'm just a massive nerd and history has always been my passion. I also like exploring the fringes of different eras which aren't usually explored.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Love 1

Join us in the 12th Century, on Saints Sleep:

Sig.png

I also write on the brilliant AeRo!
B8CB4x.png

Ok so here is my true confession on why I've always liked it over the rest....

When I was growing up and even still, I had a severe learning disability. Enough that I had to take special english and math classes. (Special Ed for the win! No child left behind victim.) Anyway, for me reading comprehension was very very very very very very hard. I didn't read my first chapter book until the third grade and it was only because I had watched the movie first. So I really missed out on a lot of those fantasy starter books that most children read growing up.

The one subject in school I really excelled at? History. So when high school came around I enjoyed the open topics and the easy to follow very structured stories that came with folklore and just typical lives of those in history.

And to me, at least in my experience, a lot of RP's are based on or influenced by some sort of book, movie, game and they were hard for me to get into. I was a huge Tolkien fan (which was the first series I was able to read and enjoy, but again...movies) and even now I have to stop myself and make notes as who is who in other books. My BFF wrote me a game of thrones map, but I had to stop about three books in.

So for me, the research makes it easy to understand. I like that there are plenty of pictures or articles on the same subject. I love the art of the eras and the science that was happening.

• Love 2

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

I have read historical books for children and I loved them. So yes, I was hooked on history before fifth grade. I have read Hiawatha by Longfellow (retold for children) in first grade and I loved it. There were books with adventures from my country's history too, with princes who were fighting the Ottoman conquerors, and I loved that. Then I got a book about Egypt... then the Westerns (Karl May, Fenimore Coooper, Liselotte Welskhop Horner, etc) and in the sixth grade cape & epee (Alexandre Dumas, Michel Zevaco, Paul Feval, Victor Hugo).

Writing historical fiction means getting immersed in a different culture, civilization, time and setting, with their specifics, and time travelling... while able to return, at the end of the day, to my hot bath and running water toilet.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Preach it! 1

• 2 months later...

I absolutely love history. I like writing about how things were but also how things could have been. The more I have researched history the more I've found it can be smaller things that turn the tide or change the course of history. It is fun to be inside the mindset of someone from a different time and place. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

• 2 months later...

I just love history, studied Medieval History at University and have been learning about it virtually all my life. For me, it's a chance to explore a world I feel like I can only scratch the surface of through primary sources. But trying to breathe life into it through fiction is something altogether different. A chance to fill in the blanks, as it were. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

New_Project_1.jpg

• 3 months later...

For me, it's the challenge.   You have limitations in the time period you have to work around; especially as humans and you have to work with and research those limitations.  What was around at the time.  What peoples abilities were.  What peoples roles were in society.  I think there are a lot of RPs out there right now that are supernatural or realistic or anime where people don't have to think to write.  They make a character that they can do anything they want with that has no structure when the structure is what makes them amazing to read and write.   

absinthebanner.jpg

You can find me at: 

absintheaffiliate.gif spacer.png DuellumAffiliate.jpg.300504c568bebb615a1863c5d5947415.jpg static-historicalrp.jpg.25bcabc927a0bcaa