Dream job

Lucky Cat

I don't know if this qualifies as a story, so please forgive me if I've posted in the wrong forum!

So, I am---aahhh--an artsy fartsy person, I guess. I've been making artstuff for a long time and am nearly done with my first art degree. I can't say how I got into it, but I can say that a lot of my drive came from my few major inspirations: Cirque du Soleil, my experiences (the things I've seen and done with my family and others), and a few particular series of games. Throughout my college career, I haven't had any idea as to what I want to do for an art related job. For the most part, I haven't even been sure if I should go into art as a career. If I could go back in time and force my shy, insecure 5 year old self to get my boody to gymnastics class, I'd be in Cirque du Soleil. While I could dream about being one of the many artists who come up with Cirque du Soleil's storyboards, I'm afraid I just don't know enough the athlete's (or bodies in general) capabilities or knowledge in performing arts to really qualify for that. I would say Cirque du Soleil is definitely a more unattainable pipe dream - at least at this moment in my life. My other pipe dream is being a 2D artist for a video company.

Becoming an artist for a gaming company seems a lot more realistic to me, especially if I join one within my own country or continent. So, this past semester (during my portfolio prep class), I researched the gaming companies in my country. For the most part, I really just... was neither fond of the games they made nor the type of games they made. Some were were just so far from my own style yet requiring a certain style to fit their image (like WoW). During this time, I learnt that the games I really love are all based in different companies in Japan. Being female and foreign (Caucasian), I thought working for any of these companies would be yet another pipe dream.

Then one day (recently), I discovered that: yes, they do hire female foreigners. I don't know if they hire foreign female 2D artists, but they had hired foreign female person for their music. Twice, in fact. While different scenarios, different jobs, I thought: wow... maybe it isn't a pipe dream. So, I looked up the company I think I'd like to work for the most and found they were hiring 2D artists (GASP!), and they even had an English version of the application process (with plenty of Japanese as well).In their FAQ, they mentioned they did allow foreigners.~

So, I applied to my dream job.

They asked for the normal details. It was a very short app. I included my resume, but not my artwork within the resume. When I hit the Japanese button, it told me my application had been submitted.

My first thought was: "fudge. I totally did that wrong. :| "

I then received an automated message saying they'll contact me within 4 weeks to let me know the verdict. Within a few days (or less, I don't remember what day I applied), they told me to submit my work and my resume with a photo (Japan requires a photo in most cases, I think?), and... AAAHHH! I DIDN'T DO IT WRONG! YAY ME!!!! <-- My internal thoughts.

I fixed up my portfolio (that's in a powerpoint). Re-arranged one image that reads like a comic so it reads right-to-left for them, and so on and so forth. Then I submitted my work. Now all I need to do is wait.  :D

I am... so excited and yet I am so nervous. I have doubts creeping into me saying they would never hire me, or maybe right now isn't the right time because I don't have a lot of digital work (which is they require these days). But... it feels so amazing to be able to apply to what I always thought was a "pipe dream." Like, there is a 50% chance that I'll be hired and trying to figure out a way move and exist in Japan without dying. XD

I told my mum this and she pointed out something that I have been trying to be very calm about: "well, you're just gonna have to bring your baby boy with you." My boy being my cat and best friend. He's like a therapy cat at this point... I really never thought I could bring him with me when I move out of the house. We live in the woods. My cat is an indoor/outdoor beast and he basically needs to go outside to be happy. Even if I just moved to a capital city in my state, I don't think I could take him with me because he wouldn't be able to go out. If he did go out, he wouldn't have the same woods or animal life to interact with. My dad once moved our cats (before I got this one) from the woods to the city where he lived, and they became so depressed. They wouldn't adjust. I don't want the same thing happening to my cat, yenno? Anyway, just in case (because I really... don't like the idea of leaving him behind and being totally lonely without any family with me in another country or another place, whether it's Japan or Canada or wherever), I looked up the fees. For his weight, it would cost about $700 to move him overseas, and have to go through so many shots (so many medical expenses), and then spend 180 days in quarantine in Japan.  That sounds like misery to me. Even if it was a nice place, I don't think I could do that to my cat. It would be very selfish of me. Not only would he be moved from the woods he's known and loved all his life, he would have to spend so much time in one place, and then move yet again to be with me half a year later. On top of that, I worry about other kitties in kitty quarantine being leukaemia carriers, et cetera, but that's another story.

I should be more concerned about the fact I don't know any Japanese (yet), but... My kitty. ;-;

I know I could just... adopt another cat in another country (or city) and have them adapt to that way of life, but my cat is my best friend. He's my family. "Replacing" him feels so wrong.

That's all for now! Wish me luck in getting this job, please! I'll update later with the news. (I doubt it'll happen, but positive thoughts.)

• Fuck Yeah! 1

Good Luck! Hoping all goes for the best! Also, if you need to learn a language (on a budget), there's a free app called Duolingo, and I think they have Japanese. 

• Fuck Yeah! 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

I didn't get the girl job.

BUT! I'm relieved I didn't... After a lot of research, I was sorely under prepared to move to another country (which made me nervous). The downside is that... finding art jobs in the area is a royal bastafish. xD So, I just gotta bulk up my digital profile, prepare for futureness, and try again next time they open that position. :) Thanks for the support, friends!

Aw, better luck next time! Tbh, I've got to start traveling a lot for my job, too, and I'm also mostly concerned about leaving my cat qq

affbutton.png