5 Things you LOVE about RP

Lucky Cat

1.    Exploring worlds

2.    Exploring perspectives

3.    Finding that perfect combination of words, and then re-reading the post a lot because I like it so much.

4.    How every character is the main character of their own story.

5.    Getting to write with (and thus learn from) some truly amazing writers.

• Like 2

I love this idea! I didn't think I could come up with five things off the top of my head. It's really sad how easy the negative can pop right out but I have to think about the positive. 

• One of my favorite parts about RP and something I love about a collective group is how they inspire and motivate one another. Someone or multiple people having a bad/off day? There are always encouragements things will be okay followed by (jokes, memes, music, etc). We have artists who are inspired to create images, tumblr posts, music playlist, etc. for the site. People coming in excitedly because something in RL reminded them of the site or members of the community. It's really uplifting and I love that there's this supportive net of people who catch their fellow member just because. 

•    Hearing and Discussing people's ideas for more details in the lore, their characters, plots that involve other characters. I love they've taken the material given to them and they want to drive that forward. 

•    Discovering that members are looking to expand their talent and try for a character or plot they've never done before. More so, when others are encouraging them to do it and backing them up with their own ideas so they aren't carrying the weight of that never-done-before idea on their own. 

•    Enjoying a cup of caffeine (some like soda or tear over coffee) in the morning or early afternoon with each other, then turning around and opening a bottle of whatever to kickstart the end of the day. LOL even sharing their virtual food. 

• When I see members rejoicing  "I'm caught up!" followed by another member going "lol not any more". It's not only funny, but I love when members are challenging each other to stay on their tiptoes with staying caught up. 
  • Like 3

poke_clash2.png

vPhN5b.png                      

A supernatural fantasy about spirit animals set in Somerset, Pennsylvania

1. Making characters and seeing what kinds of characters other people come up with.

2. Putting creativity into fun worlds and ideas.

3. Being surprised by what happens in the posts I get back from partners.

4. Clicking with writers who "get" me.

5. MUSIC. Always inspires me so I love it when a song creates or molds a character.

• Like 4

Reality is an illusion. 

The five things I love about RP (out of so many!) all come down to...

1.  Opportunities -These include opportunities to make lasting friendships!  I've had some of the same friends for anywhere from 2-15 years, if not more, due to a shared love of RPG, subject(s) being covered, and various fandoms!  We've gone from being teenagers and twentysomethings to sharing our married lives, kids, jobs, education, successes, and more!  Also included in this is the opportunity to go on any number of adventures, in any number of real or imagined worlds, all from your seat!

2. Worldbuilding and Descriptions -- Oh, I love a good, lush world. I get taken away to paradise when my partners are writing out how something looks, tastes, smells, etc. Give me the full vibe of the city! Your building!  Tell me about the swish in her skirts or the fold in his shirt, I need to know!

3. Community -- Expanding on number one some more, collaborative storytelling can lend you in the best places!  You find your partners at various hours of the day. It's always exciting!  You share all the in story and life things. Planning as a group is the best feeling in the whole fucking world. I love crawling into my members' and partner's heads!

4. Cards Against Humanity Game Nights -- Because why not? Themed story decks. Original creations. Usually involving liquor or caffeine somewhere. Best. shenanigans!

5.  Passion -- This is a passion of mine, a hardcore, no holds barred passion. It combines my love of writing, reading, history, art, and so many other things. I will happily rush home for a post or an event, I've been doing it for years and will continue to do so until I am one foot out of the grave. I love all that I have done, who I have met, and most importantly

• Agree 1
  • Love 3

NewSig.png
Welcome to the City of Destiny

Wedding Season 1797
Forming Families Among the Rumors and the Joy
Will you ally for love or money, business or pleasure, peace or war?

Without further ado (ado ado ado) - 

1) Watching various tales unfold and take shape. I don't even care if I'm actually writing in it. Watching how each story unfolds is just as good as any book to me (as long as it's done well) and keeps me reading from the edge of my seat.

2) Characters. Again, ones that are done well will keep me riveted to either root for them or boo and hiss them. Seeing how they get through whatever they're in.

3) Crazy, silly, stupid moments - Those moments where something gets flubbed in the post or translation and usually will turn into something just downright hilarious. Those occasional moments where normal is stepped away from to break in the serious.

4) The chance to meet other people from all over. Be it in the same state to another country. Sometimes you make friends that last what seems like forever and other times get to know someone pretty cool for a time.

5) Randomness - it does happen from time to time and sometimes it's hilarious, sometimes serious, and sometimes it can be just a simple smile for the day when you need one most. 

These are a few of my favorite things. Ok, maybe I should lay off the cheese mongering.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Cheers 1

spacer.pngDecadence

1. Meeting new people.
2. Exploring different worlds.
3. Meeting specifically people who are trashy like me and don't take themselves all that seriously.
4. Getting to explore genres I had never tried and either falling in love with them or learning they're not for me - both experiences are valuable.
5. The boost in creativity even for my own solo writing that comes from having this outlet to try new things.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Shady McShaderson

1. Creative Interaction: All levels from the simple planning of a scene, new characters, plotting and planning a story.
  2. Reactive and Proactive Storytelling: Being able to have my characters react to a story element or response that I did not have control of (interactive vs. solo writing). Reading as others react to an element I've put into a scene that they did not anticipate.
  3. Friendships: Some of my RP friends start and stop with the character interactions, others exist and continue even after the game story ends. 
  4. Stimulation: I enjoy reading, music, TV and movies. However, RP allows me to have a very stimulating social experience that also involves being creative. I am not able to get out and about as much as I once did so RP has become an integral part of my life. Could I live without it? Yes. Do I want to? No!
  5. Excitement and Anticipation: Excitement for starting a new plot, meeting a new RPer, designing character interactions, anticipating reading new scenes added while I was offline or responses to my scenes.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Love 2

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

I.  I've made more friends online through collaborative writing than I admittedly have offline.

II.  Stuck with permanent maladies, I know many who've given me support not found elsewhere.

III.  My imagination is wholly engaged, letting me create originals.  I love understanding others'.

IV.  I learn about franchises and genres I don't get.  My werewolf is a dear, innocent, and pious child.

V.  Studying various periods, cultures, et cetera.  I am historically-minded, but do include make-believe.

Edited by Jacob
  • I read this! 1
  • Like 1

1. It helps me continue to hone my craft. As a hopeful author in the not-so-near future, roleplaying allows me to continue to practice while also expanding my writing fingers.

2. The friends! Some of my longest and closest friends are from roleplay!

3. The freedom. When you've found that one RP, or even are that one RP, that you just instantly love, and want to continue, and your heart breaks when things are finally over.

4. Character development. I feel like sometimes novels and stories aren't always that engaging in character development - it's there, but it's not constantly changing. With RPs, your character's always growing.

5. The plots. All the plots. The love. The hate. The boring. The silly. Plots made with partners are so much better than standalone plots, and sometimes they just bring you to tears.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  1. Role-playing cultivates and fuels creativity (in myself and fellow writers).
  2. RP is instrumental in honing social skills. Whether it is via chat or forum, the interactions that take place in role-play are not unlike some that take place in real life.
  3. Teamwork and cooperation - I thrive on both, and most role-playing is based on or around them.
  4. It can help with problem solving, especially for me who is somewhat socially awkward.
  5. Frankly, it is just plain FUN! I have a blast with my role-playing groups, so much so that sometimes I wish I could just hang out with them 24/7 (real life is overrated 😉 )
Edited by Tenebris
  • Like 1

1541415216_g6cTMDv(1).png.8ff5c7c1ce372dd5a0682e397b94d4fd.png

• 4 weeks later...

1. Writing, playing with words and stringing things together in ways I find amusing and engaging and illustrative.

2. Inhabiting other people's lives and perspectives and priorities and thus exploring those things in myself.

3. Getting to see new stories that I have influence of without having to do it all myself and inherently spoiling it

4. Honestly, getting positive feedback on my writing is so validating, because like most, I don't think a whole lot of my writing usually

5. I feel like I'm practicing my writing speed for a/my book/novel and so that's fun to see my ability to get posts out increase.

• Like 1

E5zAKhe.gif